Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New machine €1000 budget

Options
  • 03-02-2021 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭

Lads,

Looking to get a new machine, not sure what to go for. Have a Delongi EC271.B and it has never made good coffee.

What would be your suggestions in the 1000 euro range?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Etnies wrote: »
    Lads,

Looking to get a new machine, not sure what to go for. Have a Delongi EC271.B and it has never made good coffee.

I mean, like...are you the artificial intelligence arm of a cafe doing internet research for industrial coffee machines? Why would you spend a grand on a coffee machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

bilbot79 wrote: »
    I mean, like...are you the artificial intelligence arm of a cafe doing internet research for industrial coffee machines? Why would you spend a grand on a coffee machine?

Is this a joke? You realise what forum you’re in, yeah?

OP does the 1k include grinder?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Jesus you'd buy a good car for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Thanks for the reply.

Do you have any suggestions?

fullstop wrote: »
    Is this a joke? You realise what forum you’re in, yeah?

OP does the 1k include grinder?

Yeah, at the moment I just have a basic grinder an or off job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Marcus-Aurelius

Lads,

Hey Ethnies,

For 1k id be looking at something along the lines of the Nuova Simonelli Oscar 2 and a Eureka Mignon combo. Reputable website below whom I have purchased x 2 machines and grinders from with no problems. I had a Muscia previously and didnt cause me any problems. Any spare parts were orders from elektros too.

https://www.elektros.it/ie/en/oscar_II_nuova-Simonelli/oscar-II-black.html

Hope this helps,
    R

Thanks for the reply.

Do you have any suggestions?

Clearly I don't. I looked on Amazon and couldn't find anything over 300.

Apologies for my uncouth pleb reaction but I'm genuinely shocked. What does an extra 700e do for a coffee connoisseur?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Apologies for my uncouth pleb reaction but I'm genuinely shocked. What does an extra 700e do for a coffee connoisseur?

makes good coffee

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

So is they entire €1000 going on a machine or would you consider grinder update as part of that?

Assuming you are talking about an espresso machine and will be making milk based drinks as well as espresso/americano type drinks.

Is space an issue or do you have plenty of space?

https://shop.3fe.com/product/nuova-simonelli-oscar-ii-espresso-machine

https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/rocket-appartamento-copper.html

2 options there, though I haven't experience with either.

Both of these are heat exchange machines. More info on the difference between single boiler, heat exchange and dual boiler here:

https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/article-heat-exchangers-vs-dual-boilers

Best of luck with the purchase and keep us updated with progress!

adrian522 wrote: »
    So is they entire €1000 going on a machine or would you consider grinder update as part of that?

Assuming you are talking about an espresso machine and will be making milk based drinks as well as espresso/americano type drinks.

Is space an issue or do you have plenty of space?

https://shop.3fe.com/product/nuova-simonelli-oscar-ii-espresso-machine

https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/rocket-appartamento-copper.html

2 options there, though I haven't experience with either.

Both of these are heat exchange machines. More info on the difference between single boiler, heat exchange and dual boiler here:

https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/article-heat-exchangers-vs-dual-boilers

Best of luck with the purchase and keep us updated with progress!

The mark up on the Oscar is beyond ridiculous with 3FE. Shop about OP. I have purchased recently with BB. Outstanding service and delivery with 48hrs and quality communication with Claudette. Be wary of Brexit import duties mind now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well there is huge advantage to having bought locally if anything goes wrong with the machine.

I bought a machine from the UK back in 2016, saved a bit of cash but I've been left to my own devices when it comes to repairs or maintenence.

It's a bit of a trade off at the end of the day.

Certainly do your homework on brexit before ordering from UK and do some research on the place you are buying from as some have some very negative feedbsck.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

What type of coffee do you drink?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

Ginger83 wrote: »

Have you ever had an espresso from a Nissan Micra? Tastes like shíte tbh.

OP I'd almost get a Sage barista express or a Gaggia classic and a good grider like a Niche zero.

This coming from the lad that spends 1000s on bicycles when they have perfectly good ones in halfords for 200e :D

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Tabby McTat

Hi. I bought a Rancilio Silvia and Eureka Silenzio grinder from Espresso Coffee Shop. Came in around €1k. Maybe a bit less. I would budget for a PID on either the Rancilio or Gaggia Classic (welcome to the black hole!). This gives guaranteed temperature control and therefore a consistent shot.

They are based in Italy. Have some mixed reviews but I found very good to deal with. Responsive to email queries and shipping was quick. Obviously will be difficult if something goes wrong.

This coming from the lad that spends 1000s on bicycles when they have perfectly good ones in halfords for 200e :D

😂 Presume this coffee machine is made of carbon then?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Damn. Should have known better than to check out this thread. I've largely bought all of my equipment second hand so far, but the Oscar II at €733 delivered, and with a big birthday coming up and no holidays this year, seems to be at a price-point where it wouldn't be beyond the range of possibility.

Damn you coffee addiction.
    /subscribe

Thanks for all the replies, going to research all these links now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Have you ever had an espresso from a Nissan Micra? Tastes like shíte tbh.

OP I'd almost get a Sage barista express or a Gaggia classic and a good grider like a Niche zero.

No but I've had 1 in 1 :pac: just shocked at the figures tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 16,924 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Ginger83 wrote:

In fairness though it wouldn't taste as good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

I am a bit lucky that I can have my coffees while I cycle, it is a bit trickier when i go up & down hills but i seem to manage fine. ;)The cost saving is good too.

https://coffee-bike.com/company/the-coffee-bike

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

Ginger83 wrote: »
    No but I've had 1 in 1 :pac: just shocked at the figures tbh

1k is reasonable tbh ...

https://shop.3fe.com/product/victoria-arduino-eagle-one-prima

The mark up on the Oscar is beyond ridiculous with 3FE. Shop about OP. I have purchased recently with BB. Outstanding service and delivery with 48hrs and quality communication with Claudette. Be wary of Brexit import duties mind now.

Is that website from the link you posted earlier with the Oscar II legit? I was looking at buying one last year and they weren’t coming in under €900 anywhere that didn’t have awful reviews and horror stories.

OP, would suggest something like a Silvia with one of the more affordable Eureka grinders.

😂 Presume this coffee machine is made of carbon then?

Do steel ones not have seats or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

if you’re making cappuccinos or other milk based drinks, then a dual boiler machine is good.
    I got a lelit elizabeth
    https://espresso.lelit.com/product/31
    from
    https://www.lamacchinadelcaffe.com/lelit.html

fullstop wrote: »
    Is that website from the link you posted earlier with the Oscar II legit? I was looking at buying one last year and they weren’t coming in under €900 anywhere that didn’t have awful reviews and horror stories.

OP, would suggest something like a Silvia with one of the more affordable Eureka grinders.

100% legit. I’ve mas three purchases from them. Nuova Simonelli Musica and Eureka Mignon x2 for a bday present and a Xmas present and a grinder for myself. No issues whatsoever, well packaged and tracked on sending. Auld fellas one is going strong 4 years later, serviced locally.

100% legit. I’ve mas three purchases from them. Nuova Simonelli Musica and Eureka Mignon x2 for a bday present and a Xmas present and a grinder for myself. No issues whatsoever, well packaged and tracked on sending. Auld fellas one is going strong 4 years later, serviced locally.

Wow! Will be looking there for my next purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I have an Oscar II myself that I got from 3fe as an exdemo machine, couldn't recommend it enough.

But for that budget, your best bet is the likes of a Gaggia Classic and adding a PID to it, and then putting a chunk of change into a decent grinder like the Eurekas, or possibly a Niche if you can stretch to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭wilsixon

I have an Oscar II myself that I got from 3fe as an exdemo machine, couldn't recommend it enough.

But for that budget, your best bet is the likes of a Gaggia Classic and adding a PID to it, and then putting a chunk of change into a decent grinder like the Eurekas, or possibly a Niche if you can stretch to it.

I upgraded from Gaggia Classic and Gaggia MDF grinder (which I had for 8 years) to NS Oscar II and Mahlkonig Vario grinder.
    Only paid slightly over your budget - €685 for the Oscar and €370 for the Vario.

Huge step up in quality. No regrets.

I'd definitely recommend that over gaggia classic, which is still a good little machine for the price.

P.S. the opv kit is definitely worth the small extra charge. I bought it afterwards and installed myself, which was easy.

• Advertisement

Did you plumb that in ?
    I'd love one of those :D

Advertisement