Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employers not attending interviews

Options
  • 25-05-2021 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi,

I have just recently starting interviewing but what has become apparent is that employers who organize interviews are not attending or I have an initial interview with a recruiter and a rejection email is sent as the decision was made earlier in the day. For the 2 interviews that did not attend, they came back afterwards with "internet problems" and "had to ring in sick today, sorry we will organize another time"! I know that if this was a candidate who did this, there would be no 2nd chance.

Has anybody else had this experience? I am considering whether I should reschedule. At the moment though it is an employers market, this will change. I just find it unprofessional and poor form.

I had a 2nd interview with a company that went well and in fairness they were professional throughout so there is hope!!!

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

As you say, you have just started interviewing....

- The whole point of using agencies is to save the employer time by having someone else filter out unsuitable candidates, so expecting an employer to attend is not going to happen.

- People get sick, it's a fact of life. And of course employers will try and reschedule for sick candidates, they want to pick the best candidate for the job and if at all possible they will want to speak to you if they selected you for interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Jim2007 wrote: »
    As you say, you have just started interviewing....

- The whole point of using agencies is to save the employer time by having someone else filter out unsuitable candidates, so expecting an employer to attend is not going to happen.

- People get sick, it's a fact of life. And of course employers will try and reschedule for sick candidates, they want to pick the best candidate for the job and if at all possible they will want to speak to you if they selected you for interview.

The OP only asked one question there Jimbo, and you didn't answer it ;)

Here, I'll show you how it's done...

No, OP I haven't experienced that. Good luck with the job hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Hi,

I have just recently starting interviewing but what has become apparent is that employers who organize interviews are not attending or I have an initial interview with a recruiter and a rejection email is sent as the decision was made earlier in the day. For the 2 interviews that did not attend, they came back afterwards with "internet problems" and "had to ring in sick today, sorry we will organize another time"! I know that if this was a candidate who did this, there would be no 2nd chance.

Has anybody else had this experience? I am considering whether I should reschedule. At the moment though it is an employers market, this will change. I just find it unprofessional and poor form.

I had a 2nd interview with a company that went well and in fairness they were professional throughout so there is hope!!!

Cheers

not good form

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Very bad form not bothering to tell you in advance the interview was cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

It’s poor form not attending. what industry as I’m not sure I’d agree it’s an employers market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Doesn't sound like a good company to work for either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

If you're applying through an agency, the good ones will give you a quick interview to make sure you're normal and won't embarrass themselves by sending you to the employer.

The video interview being cancelled due to internet problems is a weak excuse, as they can always use their phone data, but it's possible they're non-technical and don't really understand how to do that.

The interview being cancelled because the person is sick, that can happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭chrisfroome

The company that cancelled were a media company believe it or not. You would think in this day and age that they would have a plan B in place. Thanks for the responses. It reaffirms my thinking!

Advertisement