Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

Qprmeath wrote: »
    Anyone ever solve this? I’ve tried any suggestions I can find on the 48 community

You have to have credit and an active membership to activate iMessage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭gussieg

It’s been a while since you had a membership. Can we do anything to help? Just so you know, your account will go inactive after 90 days and you’ll lose your 100GB plan. Avoid this happening by getting a new membership. Or just get in touch if you need a hand with anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

jdon72 wrote: »
    You have to have credit and an active membership to activate iMessage

Done all that

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glack

Done all that

I had this issue at the start. Didn’t realise I needed credit and then when I added credit it still didn’t work. Was like it had tried to activate, it didn’t work (because I had no credit at that time) and I needed to force it into trying again. Turn off and on the phone. If that doesn’t work, disable and enable iMessage.

glack wrote: »
    I had this issue at the start. Didn’t realise I needed credit and then when I added credit it still didn’t work. Was like it had tried to activate, it didn’t work (because I had no credit at that time) and I needed to force it into trying again. Turn off and on the phone. If that doesn’t work, disable and enable iMessage.

Done all that, hugely frustrating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glack

Done all that, hugely frustrating

What are your iMessage settings? Specifically your send and receive settings? For mine I had to switch to iMessages are only sent from my phone number but I can receive to an email also. So I have 3 options for receiving but for sending, my only option is my phone number (2 email address are there also but don’t have ticks beside them). Then I tried to start a new iMessage conversation and that got it to activate as my phone number was the only option.

Got sorted. Took sim from phone. Reinserted it. Then turned off IMessage and turned it on again. Recognised as new sim. Working now. As said before you need credit on your account to activate. Would not have had credit when starting with 48.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Anyone have issues with the phone not ringing but it's ringing for the person calling me?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭dannijuno

mightyreds wrote: »
    Anyone have issues with the phone not ringing but it's ringing for the person calling me?

YES, its happening to me quite often. I've missed some important calls too :mad:

• Advertisement

dannijuno wrote: »
    YES, its happening to me quite often. I've missed some important calls too :mad:

It's crazy I'm considering changing over now because of it

Me too, its a tricky one though. Ive been with a few networks and I've had the following experience.

• Three: I was previously on three's €20 deal and I've noticed their data speeds can really drop during peak hours, making the phone unusable at times.

• Vodafone: I was on the Vodafone X deal and I found them to be the absolute best overall. I had no issues whatsoever. Until, they capped their data speeds to 10mbps, that's when I noticed absolutely crap service and moved to 48 over a year ago.

I haven't been with Eir since college (9 years) ..so I cant really comment about them.

For €7.99 , 48 are half decent out of a bad bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭tiegan

I had terrible issues with tesco mobile, like 48 on the 3 network. Full coverage bars, but no one able to ring me. Such a relief to find that virgin mobile (also 3 network) works perfectly.

Me too, its a tricky one though. Ive been with a few networks and I've had the following experience.

• Three: I was previously on three's €20 deal and I've noticed their data speeds can really drop during peak hours, making the phone unusable at times.

• Vodafone: I was on the Vodafone X deal and I found them to be the absolute best overall. I had no issues whatsoever. Until, they capped their data speeds to 10mbps, that's when I noticed absolutely crap service and moved to 48 over a year ago.

I haven't been with Eir since college (9 years) ..so I cant really comment about them.

For €7.99 , 48 are half decent out of a bad bunch.

I was on to support today but got the run around, leave it for 2 weeks and see what happens, god only knows how long I've been missing calls took my doctor 4 days to ring me back and I was blaming her when it could have been me.
    I think i'll try Eir for a month or so Vodafone's 10mb limit is annoying I'd go with them only for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Had the same problem on both my wife's phone and mine, I disabled automatically select network and manually selected 48 and this seems to have fixed the problem

Give that a shot and see does it help you

kingtiger wrote: »
    Had the same problem on both my wife's phone and mine, I disabled automatically select network and manually selected 48 and this seems to have fixed the problem

Give that a shot and see does it help you

Thanks will try that now

tiegan wrote: »
    I had terrible issues with tesco mobile, like 48 on the 3 network. Full coverage bars, but no one able to ring me. Such a relief to find that virgin mobile (also 3 network) works perfectly.

Really ? Is virgin good? I was considering them but I was put off that they are on the 3 network , I've had a very poor experience with 48.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭tiegan

Really ? Is virgin good? I was considering them but I was put off that they are on the 3 network , I've had a very poor experience with 48.

Well so far so good. I got a virgin sim that I ran along side the tesco sim for a while. Both 3 network (I have a mast very close) - all the time I was having issues with the tesco sim(s) the virgin ones worked fine. So took the plunge at the end of April and ported my number to virgin. No complaints so far and good speeds. Currently have two virgin sims with no issues. Tesco was a disaster!

tiegan wrote: »
    Well so far so good. I got a virgin sim that I ran along side the tesco sim for a while. Both 3 network (I have a mast very close) - all the time I was having issues with the tesco sim(s) the virgin ones worked fine. So took the plunge at the end of April and ported my number to virgin. No complaints so far and good speeds. Currently have two virgin sims with no issues. Tesco was a disaster!

Thanks, I think I might bite the bullet and try Virgin. I've had it with 48's speeds. Virgin are doing a 10€ deal at the moment! My 48 is up in a few days.

Can I ask , roughly what speeds you're getting and what county you are in?

when it works, im getting speeds of well over 50 mb per s, whats annoying is the fact that i have these spare sim cards and no way to register or validate them. i have friends and family that could use them , but cant get them set up for them. they couldnt get them working either.

• Advertisement

now we are out of lockdown a lot of companies are piling on the charges again, insurance , energy , telephones, all seem to be adding more charges to try and make up any shortfall quickly.
    which is why i find 48 still being a godsend, its keeping me in touch.
    based near maynooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭muffinhead

I received this email for a spare sim I activated on 1st Feb but haven't used since:
    Hi muffinhead,

Your account will be made inactive soon because of lack of use. Your 48 service will continue for now, but any credit on your account will expire 90 days after your account goes inactive.

Want to keep your account active?
    You can stop this by keeping your account active. Just activate a new monthly membership. If you need any help, just let us know.
    I'll hold out until the end of July before I do anything as that will bring me up to the 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

gussieg wrote: »
    whats annoying is the fact that i have these spare sim cards and no way to register or validate them. i have friends and family that could use them , but cant get them set up for them. they couldnt get them working either.

That's weird, what's it saying when you try to activate it? I activated one I had lying around since last year no problem about two weeks ago.

The only slightly awkward bit is setting up a separate account for each sim but that's not much hassle.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

it just goes in a loop . activate sim/ register

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭PMC999

Anyone having problems with voicemail? I’ve followed the voicemail guide and confirmed all settings yet callers cannot leave me a voicemail.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭lordsheepface

@PMC999
    Have you setup the voicemail diverts?

To setup voicemail diverts =
    If your phone number is 0891234567 then replace number below with 08951234567

Codes for setting up diverts (enter on your phone dialer and press call)
    **62*number# - Phone switched off/out of coverage (not reachable)
    **67*number# - Phone busy (busy/no connect)
    **61*number# - Phone not answered (no reply)
    **21*number# - At all times (unconditional) - you probably won't use this one

And to turn them off again =

Codes for cancelling diverts
    ##62# - Phone switched off/out of coverage (not reachable)
    ##67# - Phone busy (busy/no connect)
    ##61# - Phone not answered (no reply)
    ##21# - At all times (unconditional)
    ##02# - Cancel all diverts

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭hdl

Does anyone know, can you move your number to 48 today, or can it only be done during business hours? Have a friend asking, and it's been so long since I switched, I can't remember. So if he chooses the option to move his number today, will he be without service until tomorrow? Thanks

hdl wrote: »
    Does anyone know, can you move your number to 48 today, or can it only be done during business hours? Have a friend asking, and it's been so long since I switched, I can't remember. So if he chooses the option to move his number today, will he be without service until tomorrow? Thanks

It will work. They do recommend you do it when their customer service is open though presumably in case there are any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

It will work. They do recommend you do it when their customer service is open though presumably in case there are any issues.

Between 10 and 4 on Sundays I think.

Edit: from 48 website:
    Are there only certain hours I can move my number?
    Yes, all networks work between the below hours for moving numbers. Outside opening hours, you can still submit your request, but the clock won’t start until the next morning opening hours begin.

Monday - Friday 8am to 6pm (except Bank Holidays)
    Saturday - Sunday & Bank Holidays 10am - 4pm

If you submitted your number to move during opening hours, see above, then the time it takes to complete will vary depending on your old network account type.

Prepay & Bill pay accounts can take between 2 - 3 hours.
    Business/Family take upto 24hrs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Doomofman

God damn, anyone else get constant issues with receiving verification codes on 48? Seems like every other day they're not working

Advertisement