Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for planning permission but already own house

Options
  • 24-05-2021 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi everyone.

I'm looking for some advice please. As the title says- I am looking to get planning permission but I already own my own home . I'm in Castlebridge, Wexford.

We bought a small 3 bed house just over 10 years ago. We have 2 girls- a 3 year old and a 14 year old and are trying to extend our family. My husband has been working from home since the pandemic and will continue to work a few days from home when his work reopens.

We meet the criteria under local needs as we both live here all our lives but the only thing is that we already own a house. I've heard mixed reviews from different people ( architect, solicitor etc) and my head is frazzled.

I have tried looking up local plans but I don't really know what I am looking for and I am none the wiser.

Has anyone any good work arounds or loopholes that could actually work ?

This would be our forever home

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Can you buy a site within the village/town boundary?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Wexfordian!

BryanF wrote: »
    Can you buy a site within the village/town boundary?

Hi , yes - the site that we are looking to buy is in the village . It’s the fact that we already have a house - I’m wondering if anyone has any good ideas or loopholes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭monseiur

To satisfy planning office - Put your current house up ''for sale'' Apply for planning to build on new site, you'll be buying site subject to planning being granted. You need funds from current house to pay for new home. Also dream up some convincing reasons for relocating.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Hi everyone.

I'm looking for some advice please. As the title says- I am looking to get planning permission but I already own my own home . I'm in Castlebridge, Wexford.

We bought a small 3 bed house just over 10 years ago. We have 2 girls- a 3 year old and a 14 year old and are trying to extend our family. My husband has been working from home since the pandemic and will continue to work a few days from home when his work reopens.

We meet the criteria under local needs as we both live here all our lives but the only thing is that we already own a house. I've heard mixed reviews from different people ( architect, solicitor etc) and my head is frazzled.

I have tried looking up local plans but I don't really know what I am looking for and I am none the wiser.

Has anyone any good work arounds or loopholes that could actually work ?

This would be our forever home

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much

in some county councils, they deem a 'local housing need' to be met if the applicant has been granted permission to build a house in a rural area of the county. Therefore even if a person owns a house in a town, they may still be granted permission in their local rural area.

i found this on page 106 of current wexfords development plan
    5 People who have a ‘housing need’ are considered to be people who have never owned a rural house
    (except where it can be demonstrated that the dwelling is no longer suitable to the applicants needs).

so looking at that the fact you own an urban house shouldn't be an issue.... but i will leave people who have more experience of planning in wexford to clarify this

monseiur wrote: »
    To satisfy planning office - Put your current house up ''for sale'' Apply for planning to build on new site, you'll be buying site subject to planning being granted. You need funds from current house to pay for new home. Also dream up some convincing reasons for relocating.

Thanks for taking the time to reply - I’ve seen on some threads that on the application process if you have EVER owned a house that excludes you from a housing need . Hardly fair at all now ! We have thought of that idea of trying that but then we could be left without a house or a site !

That’s what I need - some convincing reasons for relocating . Can you think of any that could actually work ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

If the site is in an area that is zoned town centre/residential, then surely to God, you should be able to apply for planning permission regardless of your current cirumstances??? The Zoning itself would surely imply that anyone can apply and be granted planning in those areas?

Planners and Councils drive me cracked.:confused:

sydthebeat wrote: »
    in some county councils, they deem a 'local housing need' to be met if the applicant has been granted permission to build a house in a rural area of the county. Therefore even if a person owns a house in a town, they may still be granted permission in their local rural area.

i found this on page 106 of current wexfords development plan

so looking at that the fact you own an urban house shouldn't be an issue.... but i will leave people who have more experience of planning in wexford to clarify this

Thanks for taking the time to reply .. this is where is gets tricky ! Castlebridge is now deemed urban and the site we like is deemed rural ( only recently ) even though it’s less than 4km away from the house . Can you send me the link or something please to the current Wexford development plan as All im able to see is a 4 page document .

It’s the loophole or good excuses for needing to relocate is what I’m really interested in as I’m hoping we can pass local needs .

Thank you

shesty wrote: »
    If the site is in an area that is zoned town centre/residential, then surely to God, you should be able to apply for planning permission regardless of your current cirumstances??? The Zoning itself would surely imply that anyone can apply and be granted planning in those areas?

Planners and Councils drive me cracked.:confused:

Yes , I agree . It’s like they are changing the rules as they want to and if and when it suits them !

Castlebridge is a district town . They note that “ as set out under the rural housing policy for this “ area under strong urban influence “ rural housing applicants must be from the local rural area which is defined and excluded Castlebridge “

They are making it so so hard ! :(

Advertisement