Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Importing classic car from mainland Europe

Options
  • 24-05-2021 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Dear fellow Boardsies,

a family member of mine would like to import an 36 year old car from mainland Europe (EU).
    The car was off the road for the past 15 years or so, but it is still in drivable condition.
    It’s an iconic car but doesn’t have a very high monetary value.

What does he need to consider now?
    Transport would be sorted, but when is VRT due and how does he go about an Irish plate?
    Does the car need an NCT check?

He would be very grateful for any advice.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

To present a car for VRT it must be driveable. VRT will be €200. They will give you a reg number after inspection. An NCT will be needed after registration and it will be a two year test until its 40 years old then no NCT if you dont want to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 MeadowMaker

w124man wrote: »
    To present a car for VRT it must be driveable. VRT will be €200. They will give you a reg number after inspection. An NCT will be needed after registration and it will be a two year test until its 40 years old then no NCT if you dont want to do it.

Doesn’t need to be driveable.

Bring it on a trailer to nct centre with relevant docs. They will check the vin/chassis numbers only on the car.

Unless he hopes to be able to drive it on Irish roads <4 years, no need to worry about NCT,

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

I'm very nosy, sorry. This is an iconic car -- can we guess please? I'm going to say it's a FIAT 500!

I wish you the best with the import, exciting stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Tazio wrote: »
    I'm very nosy, sorry. This is an iconic car -- can we guess please? I'm going to say it's a FIAT 500!

I wish you the best with the import, exciting stuff.

Def a 2cv

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Bring it on a trailer to nct centre with relevant docs. They will check the vin/chassis numbers only on the car.

Unless he hopes to be able to drive it on Irish roads <4 years, no need to worry about NCT,

they wont VRT it if it is incomplete and not a viable running car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

Total bullsh1t!

From the VRT website ...

“To be registered, a vehicle must satisfy the definition of ‘mechanically propelled vehicle’. One of the prerequisites of that definition is that it is capable of achieving vehicle propulsion at the time of registration to the satisfaction of the Revenue Commissioners’

Advertisement