Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ecological assessment wanted by planners

Options
  • 10-05-2011 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

I have been asked for further information for my planning application. One of the items requested is an Appropriate Assessment and screening to determine if my proposed development could have significant affect on the area. It states the since I am within 1.3 km of the river Barrow - which is a Special Area of Conservation under the Natura 200 Network - that this screening process has to take place.

I have neighbours in my area who were granted planning within the past year and were not asked to carry out this assessment. Is this something new this year?

Does anyone know where to find someone to carry out this assessment or even what the cost of it will be?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,077 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭K3v

Just an update on how I got on with my Appropriate Assessment screening.

In the majority of cases you only need to carry out stage 1 of the assessment process if it is shown that your proposed house/development will not have a damaging affect on the Special Area of Conservation that you are within.

The Appropriate Assessment process is divided into four stages:
    Stage 1 – Screening
    Step 1 – Management of the Site
    Step 2 – Description of Plan or Project
    Step 3 – Characteristics of Site
    Step 4 – Assessment of Significance.

Stage 2 – Appropriate Assessment
    Step 1 – Information Required
    Step 2 – Impact Prediction
    Step 3 – Conservation Objectives
    Step 4 – Mitigation Measures

Stage 3 - Assessment of alternative solutions

Stage 4 - Assesses compensatory measures which will be carried In the event that no alternative solutions exist.

The final cost to me for the screening was €495 incl VAT. Many companies that I contacted when looking for a quote were quoting for the full Appropriate Assessment even though I stated it was only the screening I was needing. Some of their quotes were as high as €1800. Just make sure you are not paying for something you do not need.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

Any idea who completes these assessments?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭K3v

pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Any idea who completes these assessments?

I had one completed recently - the same lady who did the percolation report did it for me. E500 for each report - I'd the the SAC report was easy money, just a copy and paste from the last one she did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

Can you PM me the contact details please, this would save a lot of hassle.

Advertisement