Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Evil 2021(10th Anniversary)

Options
  • 22-05-2021 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭

So, after a few enquiries and too many times thinking about if i want to put myself through agony again, it is finally time to put an Evil thread together.

https://www.strava.com/routes/2720732013190949048

Usual starting point with a finishing climb of Ticknock.

Saturday 24 July 2021 is the provisional but open to changes if needed.

Again, the usual rules for the Evil apply.
    It’s not supported.
    No medals.
    Pints after it, hopefully this year anyway.

For anyone who is new to Boards, this is now the 10th consecutive year of this crazy event.
    Some years have been about 220km and one was near the 300km mark.
    A quick search of boards will provide some good reading.

Hope to see you all there.
    Now time for me to get training as i have only 1,043 km so far this year on the clock.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,730 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I remember the first one, what an epic day that was, GL to all who take it on in 2021!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I might have a new bike by then so I hope to be involved

• Registered Users Posts: 24,953 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... and one was near the 300km mark..
    That was 2016 - I had a DNF despite being out for over 15 hours so I still need to get that monkey off my back.

https://www.strava.com/activities/672812717

I think daragh was the only one to finish that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,953 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I see Glassavullaun Lane has made an appearance. :D:eek: Is that its debut?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I’m up for this (unlikely to finish)! Training is going to be a bit harder in the low lands now that I have moved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

We used it about 3 years ago. It certainly gets the heart rate going. The top part is a killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Euppy

Have seen this 'event' pop up over the years but it has never suited. Plan on tagging along this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Maybe....

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭comete

Hard no, first one was enough for me. If I ever ride another one it’ll be too soon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

daragh_ wrote: »
    Maybe....

Maybe you’ll do two laps?

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »
    Maybe you’ll do two laps?

Just don't have any distance in my legs tbh. Longest spin I've done so far this year was the Dublin County Boundaries route and I was recovering for a week after.

Would love to do the Evil again. Will call it closer to the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

No comment.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

I've finished once, abandoned twice and didn't turn up 3 times. I believe this year I'll limit myself to offering sadistic route suggestions in the thread.

colm18 wrote: »
    I've finished once, abandoned twice and didn't turn up 3 times. I believe this year I'll limit myself to offering sadistic route suggestions in the thread.

That’s an interesting one. It’s been done 9 times. Who has done it the most? Two guesses!

I’ve done it 6 times that I can see (include a 100km test ride). Never finished it but ‘enjoyed’ each one.

godtabh wrote: »
    That’s an interesting one. It’s been done 9 times. Who has done it the most? Two guesses!

I’ve done it 6 times that I can see (include a 100km test ride). Never finished it but ‘enjoyed’ each one.

I didn't finish the first one and I think I've skipped the last 2 or 3?

This will be my 7th in a row. Haven’t finished them all but on each occasion I ended up with about 200km or more at the end, except for last years shortened version of 160km

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I've successfully not turned up 9 times, can I make it 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Done my first last year and will aim to do this one this year too. Probably not on the day but have downloaded the route and trying to plan around work. Great way of finding new roads and climbs I wouldn't be used to.

On climb pro feature on the garmin it counts 27 climbs, about 90km of uphill. May start looking for some new gearing!

Where's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

Where's that?

You don't want to know, believe me. It's 400 soul and legs breaking meters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Is it the first one to the left when going from the Reservoirs towards the R114? If so, it's hilariously steep and goes through a farm, so sheep can laugh at you as they please :D

Do you start as a group? How do you keep your Garmins running that long? I would be interested this year, minus Ticknock climb. Too many walkers.

Any Strava link for it (Glassavullaun Lane)?

colm18 wrote: »
    Any Strava link for it (Glassavullaun Lane)?

https://www.strava.com/segments/11050483

Cheers. Turns out I did it before, obviously blocked it out!

strmin wrote: »

Cheers. Strava says I haven't done it but I seem to remember doing it on a spin once.

If I make it out I'll be bringing the bike with biggest range on the back.

Do you start as a group? How do you keep your Garmins running that long? I would be interested this year, minus Ticknock climb. Too many walkers.

We usually start together but it breaks up after a few climbs. There's always a few mountain goats who fly off. You bump into people over the course of the day - usually at water/coffee stops.

A Garmin in good shape can usually last about 12 hours. The battery on mine is banjaxed so I'll need an alternative solution.

Studying the route beforehand and learning where all the climbs are will save you a lot of hassle with navigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

For extra long rides, I normally bring a power-pack and top up the Garmin if I remember at stops. I think both the 830 and 1030 are designed to fit onto a specific Garmin power-pack.

Not sure walkers will be too much of an issue at Ticknock by the time most participants get there!

Happy to change the end to kilmashouge if that suits better?only joking but nearly put that as the end point . But honestly, 3 of us finished last years event up ticknock and by then we were going so slow, the walkers overtook us 🙂

Hope to see you there.

• Advertisement

We usually start together but it breaks up after a few climbs. There's always a few mountain goats who fly off. You bump into people over the course of the day - usually at water/coffee stops.

A Garmin in good shape can usually last about 12 hours. The battery on mine is banjaxed so I'll need an alternative solution.

Studying the route beforehand and learning where all the climbs are will save you a lot of hassle with navigation.

The first year I done it, I was only my own and got lost so many times. I almost cycled the wrong way onto the N11 down around Ashford

Advertisement