Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Psoriasis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Phil69 wrote: »
    rubadud, do you think potatoes, rice and bread are all a trigger? I have left potatoes and rice in my diet but took out the bread, I hoping potatoes are not an issue as eat a fair few of them ;). I think fasting definitely helps.
    I am not sure about rice but reckon potatoes and bread are (for me anyway).

Some potatoes are higher in solanine than others, which is the "poision" in the "nightshade family" that is often recommended to be avoided (tomatoes & bell peppers in that group). I had eaten some fried potatoes which were not cooked very much and think that gave me a terrible reaction, so I gave them all up. Last year I went on a similar diet with fasting and cleared up very well, and very quickly. But then I went back to my old ways in the run up to christmas.

If potatoes are cooked in different ways it reduces the amount of solanine.

I am cutting out rice to cut calories to lose weight, and also as I think the starches are not good for the (my) gut. Some think psoriasis is linked to candida, if you search "fasting" in this thread you will see another poster who had great success.

The causes/triggers and things seemingly causing remission is definitely not the same for all people, so trying to rid yourself of possible candida might have no effect at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Phil69

Fionn wrote: »
    yeah been on Vit D3 for over a year now and been taking
    L-Glutamine Powder the same length of time.

Going to give the Glutin free thing a month before I move on to something else, see if I can detect what might be causing this.

I'm convinced, that this condition is connected somehow to what we take into our bodies as opposed to a skin problem.

There was a time that I didn't have psoriasis, so need to figure out what changed!!

:)

Oh, I am pretty sure it is mostly to do with food and toxins from chemicals all around us. And, there is a lot of info out there to say Psoriasis is stomach issue. I think gluten would be good one to try and leave out. Has the Vit D3 made a difference? I have Psoriasis since I was around, so that is 35 years, and tried all sorts, the only think that has ever helped it was the sun but not enough of it here ;) I have also read it takes a long time of eating the wrong food to give you problems with the stomach in the first place, so it makes sense to me that some type of food which I was eating before I was 18 yrs old was slowly building up inside me to then trigger the Psoriasis.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Phil69

rubadub wrote: »
    I am not sure about rice but reckon potatoes and bread are (for me anyway).

Some potatoes are higher in solanine than others, which is the "poision" in the "nightshade family" that is often recommended to be avoided (tomatoes & bell peppers in that group). I had eaten some fried potatoes which were not cooked very much and think that gave me a terrible reaction, so I gave them all up. Last year I went on a similar diet with fasting and cleared up very well, and very quickly. But then I went back to my old ways in the run up to christmas.

If potatoes are cooked in different ways it reduces the amount of solanine.

I am cutting out rice to cut calories to lose weight, and also as I think the starches are not good for the (my) gut. Some think psoriasis is linked to candida, if you search "fasting" in this thread you will see another poster who had great success.

The causes/triggers and things seemingly causing remission is definitely not the same for all people, so trying to rid yourself of possible candida might have no effect at all.

Yes, I think different foods effect different people.

I have not cut out potatoes yet, many of the foods in the nightshade family are my favourites so hopefully I can see improvement without cutting them out.

I am also working on losing weight as I think it helps Psoriasis (less surface to cover too ;) ), I am looking to lose 55kg in total, already down 35kg but looking to lose another 10kg this year, just doing it slowly through a lifestyle change rather than a diet. I limit rice as I know it stalls my weight loss but bread is a killer for me so limited it for a while but now I have cut it all out for now for the gluten. I stick mainly to fruit and veg for weight loss too, it is healthier and I may leave all meat and dairy out if I find it triggers Psoriasis. Anyway, so far I notice it is clearing but I have left fair few food groups out so it will be trial and error once I am ready include them again.

I will check the candida out, I think I read that somewhere too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,355 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Do any of ye know if a GP can prescribe Protopic? I got it from my dermatologist but haven't been to him in 2 years so don't want to have to go back specially just to get Protopic

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brevity

Yea i think so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

siblers wrote: »
    Do any of ye know if a GP can prescribe Protopic? I got it from my dermatologist but haven't been to him in 2 years so don't want to have to go back specially just to get Protopic

I got it from my GP a couple of years ago..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,355 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Thanks. I paid 80 euros for a tube over a tear ago, still got around 20% of it left. Find it very good

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Yes once your Dermatologist initially prescribes Protopic your GP can continue it.

It’s the best topical treatment I have ever come across

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

Finally after 20 years of suffering with this I got to see a dermatologist. I went to Dr. Rupert Barry as another poster recommended and found him very good. I am going to be starting on Stelara hopefully after I go back to get blood work done, and he gave me a script for protopic for my face as well.

Even though I havent started the meds yet I have noticed an improvement in my skin already, I think it must be because I was so relieved to get prescribed something that may actually work as opposed to stupid steroid creams that do more harm than good.

It's crazy that I had to take the bus from Donegal to Dublin to get this seen to and that the public system is such a joke you can't even get an appointment for over 2 years. My GP retired and the one took over his office is a complete arsehole it's like pulling teeth to get him to give you anything and he's clueless about psoriasis anyway.

After hearing for so long how psoriasis is incurable and how much the biologics cost I had given up on ever getting relief. I also had a terrible experience around 10 years ago I did manage to get into a derm in Sligo on the public system. After being seen to 2 hours past my appointment time, last in group of about 15, half of whom arrived after me, I was made strip off and sit waiting for the derm while a nurse stared at me (i realized later she was staring at my tattoos not my psoriasis but still). Only to get prescribed the same BS creams at the end of it and so I never went back.

Hopefully this has a much happier ending. The fact that psoriasis is not on the long term illness list is a diagrace it is chronic and incurable what more criteria could there be? We really need to fight for people to be able to access the meda that work not just throw creams at them and fob them off.

The most you will ever have to pay for medication is €114 per month no matter what the real cost is.
    I gave up on the public system, I have private insurance but at the time I was suffering so much I couldn’t wait any longer so went private. Protopic really does work, not overnight but give it 2 weeks and you will see results. Likewise with Stelaram it’s no miracle but it will work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Are you entitled to a long term illness card for Psoriasis esp if chronic

Finally after 20 years of suffering with this I got to see a dermatologist. I went to Dr. Rupert Barry as another poster recommended and found him very good. I am going to be starting on Stelara hopefully after I go back to get blood work done, and he gave me a script for protopic for my face as well.

Even though I havent started the meds yet I have noticed an improvement in my skin already, I think it must be because I was so relieved to get prescribed something that may actually work as opposed to stupid steroid creams that do more harm than good.

It's crazy that I had to take the bus from Donegal to Dublin to get this seen to and that the public system is such a joke you can't even get an appointment for over 2 years. My GP retired and the one took over his office is a complete arsehole it's like pulling teeth to get him to give you anything and he's clueless about psoriasis anyway.

After hearing for so long how psoriasis is incurable and how much the biologics cost I had given up on ever getting relief. I also had a terrible experience around 10 years ago I did manage to get into a derm in Sligo on the public system. After being seen to 2 hours past my appointment time, last in group of about 15, half of whom arrived after me, I was made strip off and sit waiting for the derm while a nurse stared at me (i realized later she was staring at my tattoos not my psoriasis but still). Only to get prescribed the same BS creams at the end of it and so I never went back.

Hopefully this has a much happier ending. The fact that psoriasis is not on the long term illness list is a diagrace it is chronic and incurable what more criteria could there be? We really need to fight for people to be able to access the meda that work not just throw creams at them and fob them off.

I've been on Stelara for 3 years and am basically psoriasis free, fingers crossed for you.

khalessi wrote: »
    Are you entitled to a long term illness card for Psoriasis esp if chronic

No it doesn’t come under the LTI scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

Gael23 wrote: »
    No it doesn’t come under the LTI scheme

Which is a complete joke. It doesn't get more long term than psoriasis. Chronic, incurable, exacerbated by stress, doesn't kill you but doesn't go away. How could it be considered anything else but long term?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Which is a complete joke. It doesn't get more long term than psoriasis. Chronic, incurable, exacerbated by stress, doesn't kill you but doesn't go away. How could it be considered anything else but long term?

Agreed and the price of some of the meds are crazy, also if left untreated can have profound effects on health including cardiac health.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 dyl2u

Thats the thing though, depending on how severe of a case you have it can cause various other life threatening diseases that could kill you. Not to mention research has shown those who have been diagnosed with moderate to severe psoriasis before the age of 25 have shown to have a higher mortality rate. People forget the inflammation happening internally is going on 24/7 and affects your entire body, eventually over time all that inflammation is going to wear your body down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Broke out in really bad guttate following a strep throat infection. I have had it twice before, also following strep throat. The only cure for me that worked the other two times was a trip abroad to the sun (the sun in Ireland does feck all, not sure why, maybe not enough uvb gets through).

But there might be new creams out there that work for guttate, as I’m worried I might not get abroad until August at least and don’t want to spend the summer looking like i have chicken pox/the plague.

Anyone with bad guttate (all over) used a cream that worked?

An attack of guttate caused by strep troath takes ages to go. It will clear up but it takes its time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Anyone on here suffer from Psoriatic arthritis?

I had a persistent rash on my inner thigh and scalp area, doctor tried treating it over the phone, thought it was fungal but nothing he was prescribing was working, I eventually went in to see him and said he thinks it's actually a form of psoriasis.

Anyway I got this foam stuff from him and it's after improving it a lot, gone from my scalp and 90% gone from my inner thighs/groin, just a very faint pink now..

But on top of the rashes I've also been having problems with my fingers, my index finger is gone very swollen and is very painful, I can hardly move/bend it, my little finger is also affected but not as bad, he said it could all be connected so when I goggles it Psoriatic arthritis came up.

Have another appointment with him to try and sort something out because my finger is unbearably sore, very swollen and hard and making everyday things and tasks extremely difficult.

Anyone else experience anything similar?

Anyone on here suffer from Psoriatic arthritis?

I had a persistent rash on my inner thigh and scalp area, doctor tried treating it over the phone, thought it was fungal but nothing he was prescribing was working, I eventually went in to see him and said he thinks it's actually a form of psoriasis.

Anyway I got this foam stuff from him and it's after improving it a lot, gone from my scalp and 90% gone from my inner thighs/groin, just a very faint pink now..

But on top of the rashes I've also been having problems with my fingers, my index finger is gone very swollen and is very painful, I can hardly move/bend it, my little finger is also affected but not as bad, he said it could all be connected so when I goggles it Psoriatic arthritis came up.

Have another appointment with him to try and sort something out because my finger is unbearably sore, very swollen and hard and making everyday things and tasks extremely difficult.

Anyone else experience anything similar?

Yea I have it. I was on Tremfya for it. I also had arcoxia. It was ok but it did nothing for my skin which if anything started to get worse.

I’m on Rinvoq now and it’s good. No pain and the psoriasis seems to be clearing up.

• Advertisement

The last few months, i've been having some issues with my fingers, mainly my pinkies and a couple of knuckles on others, and i was hoping it was down to training and not actually psoriatic arthritis....now that i think of it, i have a feeling it could be PA! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Philipmcnill

Tremfya works perfect for Psoriasis but need liver tests before. Anyone know if this is safe to take a Pfizer vaccination with Tremfya?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 suttonboi1

A while since I posted but took my 7th shot of Imraldi last Thursday, 10 weeks since my first double dose. Progress seems to be ok, drastic improvement days 5-10 from taking the shot then some regression until I take my next one 14 days later but overall improving in the two week cycle. P nearly clear from my arms and legs apart from some pigmentation of the skin which I was told by the consultant will clear in a few weeks. Still a reasonable bit on my hips and back but definite improvements.

Great to be able to wear shorts and T-shirt’s comfortably for the past few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Tremfya works perfect for Psoriasis but need liver tests before. Anyone know if this is safe to take a Pfizer vaccination with Tremfya?

It’s probably something you should talk about with your doctor, or the nurse helpline if there is one at your consultants.
    From what I have seen online there is no issue with taking any of the approved Covid vaccines while on a biologic treatment, as they are not live vaccines. Most sources suggest the mRNA vaccines such as Pfizer are better for those who are immuno-compromised due to medication.
    I am not a medical professional so please do your own research or speak to your doctor.

I am on an interleukin inhibitor similar to Tremfya (Secukinumab) and on methotrexate and both my GP and consultant advised I get the vaccine. They also advised that there is a chance the vaccine will be less effective due to my lowered immune response.

Was with Prof Kirby today. First thing he commented in that he doesn’t often see someone with Psoriasis wearing shorts.
    Re Tremfaya, talk to your doctor on that one

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭honeyjo

I have Psoriatic Arthritis. It started with a sore ankle and a swollen left pinkie in 2019. I saw Prof Mullen in TUH who diagnosed me.
    I'm on Cocentyx (Secukinamb) two injections once a month.

Speak to your GP and get a referral.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

eeloe wrote: »
    The last few months, i've been having some issues with my fingers, mainly my pinkies and a couple of knuckles on others, and i was hoping it was down to training and not actually psoriatic arthritis....now that i think of it, i have a feeling it could be PA! :(

I ignored mine presuming it was from training, but I'm exploring dietary causes for a few months before I settle into prescriptions.

Intermittent fasting is supposed to be good for autoimmune disorders.

Might give it a go if the Rinvoq stops working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

I ignored mine presuming it was from training, but I'm exploring dietary causes for a few months before I settle into prescriptions.

Are you still able to train with it? I do a bit of weight training and it's not impeding me much yet, but it does effect my grip, I can't make a fist with my right hand, my index finger just will not curl fully, also starting to get a bit of pain im my other hand now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Are you still able to train with it? I do a bit of weight training and it's not impeding me much yet, but it does effect my grip, I can't make a fist with my right hand, my index finger just will not curl fully, also starting to get a bit of pain im my other hand now.

At this point I am. But my right elbow is bad and so I can't fully extend my right arm. There is now a clear difference in my two triceps as a result of the limitations on my right arms movements.

On the other hand my fingers are getting better from tinkering with my diet.

Intermittent fasting has been known to show improvements but I'm not sure there's a consensus on the mechanism behind this.

Advertisement