Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TB reactor.

• 19-09-2020 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

Hi
    Just got a TB case in one of the bullocks . Wondering can I purchase stock as normal?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Unlikely. You'll have to talk to the DVO if they'll make an allowance but generally you are restricted from buying or selling, except to the factory. You'll get a letter with all the conditions of restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

jntsnk wrote: »
    Hi
    Just got a TB case in one of the bullocks . Wondering can I purchase stock as normal?

TIA

Probably after your first clear test which you can only have two months after the reactor is killed...... Saying that in my experience each DVO literally makes it up as they go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭agriman27

My herd is locked up and I’m just wondering do I need a permit to sell cattle to the factory?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

agriman27 wrote: »
    My herd is locked up and I’m just wondering do I need a permit to sell cattle to the factory?

No. Just work away .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Just curious about compensation as I've heard many bad stories where lads don't get what they thought the animals were worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Just curious about compensation as I've heard many bad stories where lads don't get what they thought the animals were worth.

True ,it used be great long ago but the last few years very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jb1989

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    True ,it used be great long ago but the last few years very disappointing.

Yea, the valuer reckoned when I had him out , someone eise, possibly on the kill line, would call his bluff on giveing a bigger valuation than current prices, so he wouldnt go higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

If they go high the department will appeal the valuation. Appealed on a group of cows here and they put up a young cow but knocked the same off an older cow then. Valuations are only going one way, load of bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Mooooo wrote: »
    If they go high the department will appeal the valuation. Appealed on a group of cows here and they put up a young cow but knocked the same off an older cow then. Valuations are only going one way, load of bollox.

Ah that explains it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭Who2

I lost an incalf heifer last year to tb the valuer came out and I couldn’t fault him. If I was buying I wouldn’t have paid anymore than 1800 for her but he valued her at 2100. It’s not all bad .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I had a bullock 18 months ago, nice red lmx store about 500 kg, I got €1,190 for him, he would have made €2.30 /kg in the Mart at the time then I got another €40 as I argued that's what it would cost me to replace him, so was happy enough. It didn't make any difference to me but the factory really took the piss, cattle were making a base of €3.80 at the time, bullock killed out clear and graded a R+ 2= so I thought they would pay the base price, but they only paid €2.20 / kg which came to €590 (there was no stoppages) and the department paid the balance. The factories are the real ones making money out of TB reactors.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

Had a reactor and inconclusive last year myself for the first time. Few things that I didn't know that I found out along the way:

1. Other herds within 25m will be requested to have a test, so if you've any farmers naerby just let them know so it doens't land on them.

2. You can't purchase in animals until after the first clear re-test, and then to buy in you will need to get a permit in advance from the DVO and if an animal you buy in gets TB before you get a clear test you won't get compensation from the Dept and will only get the price the factory pay.

3. The first re-test must take place between 45-60 days after the reactors are removed. It'll automatically be set to 60 days but if you ring the assigned vet when you get the letter they can bring it forward by up to 15 days if they have an opening. The second (and hopefully last) re-test must be 120 days from the date the reactors were removed.

4. If you've no cattle for one of the re-tests it goes down as a clear result. I did this for my second re-test after getting the all clear in the first one, just sent them off to slaughter, was the time of year I'd be killing anyways so it just worked out.

5. You can sell animals at any time to the factory without a permit.

Timeline that I had:
    Fri, May 29th - Reactor found (1 reactor, 1 inconclusive - I asked them to take the reactor too because its not worth having it spread)
    Tues, June 2nd - DVO notified
    Wed, June 3rd - DVO contacted me, Valuer came
    Fri, June 5th - First envelope of forms arrive
    Mon, June 8th - DVO inspector arrives to identify adjacent lands (and tag an inconclusive bullock)
    Wed, June 10th - Notified that reactors would be take on Monday morning
    Mon, June 15th - Reactors removed
    Tues, August 11th - First re-test carried out (all clear)
    Oct 15th - Second re-test was due but as I had no stock it was given a clear status
    Around a week later I got notified that the herd had been derestricted.

On a few of the other posts re compensation, the two I had last year, was happy enough with what I got. €1260 for one (600kg/LM) and €1162(590kg/HE) for the second. Graded O+ and O- respectively in the factory and got a flat €3.42/kg for them. Killed out 331kg and 309kg respectively. Dept paid the balance. Couldn't fault the valuer at all.

If I think of anything else I'll add another post or if you've any qs just let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mf310

Just bringing back up this thread had our second test of reactors last month hoping next test will be clear, found that interesting about testing at 45 days all these days are savings in the time locked up, have yearlings to sell at the moment but cant. At 45 days from reactors leaving my next test will be around first week of february, if I am clear in this test is there any chance of me being allowed to sell stock in the mart bearing in mind its only dairy cows going down none of the beef stock or other stock. Failing that il have to wait until second clear test being mid april all going on the plan that there will be no reactors. Some dose of a disease

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Can I ask this here ?

If you are advised of an annual test and have no animals at that time , how soon after restocking would you have to test ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

You have to have two consecutive clear tests before they will lift the restrictions to allow you sell any cattle in the mart. You can sell to the factory at anytime and I think after the first clear test you could sell to approved feedlots. But unless you have to I wouldn't as when they know you are tied up they may not give you full value for your stock. It's an absolute pain having anything to do with it. Once you have had 2 clear tests you will then you will have to have another test in about 4 months. So be prepared to have any cattle you intend selling sold about 3 months after you go clear.

Advertisement