Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What to look out for when buying a BMW 520d auto 2011 to 2012?

Options
  • 19-05-2021 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am currently driving a 08 520d a manual a few years, which I really like to drive. I want to buy a 520d automatic either 2011 to 2012. I realise the milage will be high. What should I asking the seller in terms of servicing and replacement of parts in the car that have been done so to avoid any major mechanical fault as much as possible. I suppose the timing chain would be one main replacement that would have to be completed already. What else ? Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Get a look at the service history. Also look in the car's idrive system where it will tell you what serviceable items such as oil, brake pads, etc are due to be changed.

Other than the infamous timing chain there was also a big recall on the EGR cooler which has the potential to set the car on fire. Ring a BMW dealer with the reg and they will tell you if the car is impacted or if it was already done. Check the condition of the brake discs too especially the front ones as that model is much heavier than your 08 5 Series and they tend to go through front discs regularly. Another sign of disc warping is that there will be a shudder under braking. You will be looking at 600+ for new OEM pads and discs. Also make sure the idrive screen is working perfectly, as the old ones are known to be troublesome and are big money to replace. Check the boot for dampness too especially the compartments near the rear lights. Water drops down when the boot opens that can find it's way in there and there is alot of electrical wiring and the battery located there.

There are plenty of these cars out there for sale but there are plenty of tired old ones too hiding large bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭lotusm

Thanks for the advice. Great to have an idea what to ask when making an enquiry.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,104 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Try a 530d, tiny bit more tax for a lot more car. Timing chain not so much of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

In case you are looking at the estate version (F11) check the rear suspension - there are airbags which are a well known issue for leaking, check if car is sitting low while the engine if off or if there is any hissing noise after it has been running and then switched off.
    Not an issue on the saloon version (F10) as far as I know.

Actually one other issue is water ingress through the front passenger bulkhead which actually pools behind the passenger seat in the rear footwell. Check the carpet for dampness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭lotusm

Thanks again. Just one more question. Because it's an automatic are there any other things to check in comparison to a manual

lotusm wrote: »
    Thanks again. Just one more question. Because it's an automatic are there any other things to check in comparison to a manual

I would say the automatics are much preferred to the manual and would definitely go with that option. No issues that I am aware of, the auto-gearbox is very good in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭statto25

DriveSkill wrote: »
    Actually one other issue is water ingress through the front passenger bulkhead which actually pools behind the passenger seat in the rear footwell. Check the carpet for dampness.

Just to add that the rear passenger footwell can also flood due to leaky door vapour barrier. Youll notice it when you open the rear door and water floods out. The solution is to take off the door card, make sure the drain hole is clear and then Tec7 the vapour barrier back on. OK that's not the official method but worked for me

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbolounge

E60 and F10 are very similar underneath. If you buy a 2011 or 2012 F10 520d it will have the same engine as your E60. Having owned both, I prefer the E60. Better exterior, better interior and cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

E60 and F10 are very similar underneath. If you buy a 2011 or 2012 F10 520d it will have the same engine as your E60. Having owned both, I prefer the E60. Better exterior, better interior and cheaper.

Better interior?! Are you due a trip to specsavers anytime soon :D

I've owned a 2009 E61 and 2013 F11 and not in a million years is the E60 interior better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbolounge

Wailin wrote: »
    Better interior?! Are you due a trip to specsavers anytime soon :D

I've owned a 2009 E61 and 2013 F11 and not in a million years is the E60 interior better.
    My E60 had the wide-screen nav, upgraded climate, brushed aluminium and cream leather. It looked fantastic. The F10 just looked like any other car of the time, the ones with the smaller nav screen looked ridiculous. The E60 still looks modern today, inside and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

If doi g high mileage, would you bot get a merc? More comfy generally and doesn't have the timing chain issue...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

E Class would probably be a bit more comfortable but they are not without their problems either. You have the same risks with any 9 or 10 year old premium car. Just because they selling for Skoda Octavia money now doesn't mean they will have Skoda Octavia running costs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

What are the prices these days on a decent 520d auto?
    Mine was 12k with a 2k trade in about two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

My E60 had the wide-screen nav, upgraded climate, brushed aluminium and cream leather. It looked fantastic. The F10 just looked like any other car of the time, the ones with the smaller nav screen looked ridiculous. The E60 still looks modern today, inside and out.

i agree the e60 exterior still looks well today but not the interior, that's well dated!

f10 in msport spec with pro nav is much nicer than e60 interior IMO - big step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

It's not the F10s fault that someone didn't pick better options. Like for like, the F10 interior is far fresher looking, far better materials and does not squeak or rattle half as much as an E60 does when they get up the miles.

Advertisement