Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advise on a build

Options
  • 22-05-2021 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

We have just got our back garden done patio and pergola along with a shed done up for a gym ...all in all its a good job and in fairness we started adding jobs to it so it kept them here longer than they thought..I asked before they finished how much for it all they said 21,000 i was shocked as i felt it was too much but i said go ahead sure if thats it i just want job finished ....
    they finished this week and asked me for 26,000 they said it was the extra cost of the materials...i felt sick ...anyway i rang the place they got materials and got a quote myself ...about 2000 i asked how for the same amount last year and they said about 1700...So i am being told that a job that i felt high at 21000 is now going to 26000 because of materials ...not sure how to proceed now but something very wrong here ...this happen to any off u

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

We have just got our back garden done patio and pergola along with a shed done up for a gym ...all in all its a good job and in fairness we started adding jobs to it so it kept them here longer than they thought..I asked before they finished how much for it all they said 21,000 i was shocked as i felt it was too much but i said go ahead sure if thats it i just want job finished ....
    they finished this week and asked me for 26,000 they said it was the extra cost of the materials...i felt sick ...anyway i rang the place they got materials and got a quote myself ...about 2000 i asked how for the same amount last year and they said about 1700...So i am being told that a job that i felt high at 21000 is now going to 26000 because of materials ...not sure how to proceed now but something very wrong here ...this happen to any off u
    Ok there was 2,000 extra on materials . But the materials dont install themselves. Was there additional labour required for any of the jobs you added. I would imagine yes is the answer.

Feel free to ask for a breakdown of cost , and ensure the rates charged on labour for the additional work are the same as the original body of work.

If they are client requested changes then you should agree cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

no there wasnt an extra 2000 on materials ....all materials cost 2000 when they would have been 1700 so there was an extra 300 cost ...the only extra work was a extra section of gutter took 30 mins

And no there was not any extra work ..i was told it could be 21000 for everything ...when i asked how come it went from 21000 to 26000 i was told it was cost of materials...i priced materials myself and was told they would have went up about 300 euros ...

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

We will need more details Freddie. How many m2 of patio and what stone.. was the shed already there or did They build it. We're window installed etc and add in as many details as possible... electrical, plastering, roofing plumbing........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭karlitob

i was told it *could* be 21000 for everything

Sounds like you don’t have a detailed contract laying out everything? Did they give you a ballpark and you trusted them?

• Advertisement

ok here it is i got shed plastered with electricity and garden done ..artificial grass borders and electrical work done for this i got quote of 10500which i paid ...
    now while they were there was problem with wall which needed to be rebuilt so then i asked about pergola and patio they said they would do it ...builder said this could cost an extra 10500 coming to 21000...i said that was a lot please give me break down of costs ..i never got break down of costs but as we wanted job done we thought we would just accept 21000 and let them go ahead ..
    ok job done im then asked for 26000...i asked why the extra 5000 i was told materials are a crazy price..i went and got a quote for materials today and it was 2000 ..i asked how much this would have been last year i was told about 1700..
    Look im happy to pay fairly for a good job ..but this doesnts
    seem right ..

yeah thats it really ...they kept promising quote for extra work and it never came ...as the place was a mess we just want job finished as quick as.possible ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭karlitob

yeah thats it really ...they kept promising quote for extra work and it never came ...as the place was a mess we just want job finished as quick as.possible ..

Well - you’re in a difficult position. I can only advise you to be reasonable. I would write everything down - including the chronology of what you’ve said above. I’d collect any texts or emails and I’d be clear on what occurred on what date. I’d pay the remaining €10500, and the €300 for extra cost of materials. I would ask for a compete breakdown of all costs - materials and labour beyond 21€k - in writing. In other words, ALWAYS stick with the agreed €21k so that he has to justify the extra €5k

So you can always say - I paid the agreed amount, despite not receiving the information that you asked for. Ignorance is some defence here as you’re a customer and he’s a business. Why wouldn’t he provide written information so everyone understands what’s happening. You’ve given extra for materials based on the information you have. And he can’t justify the extra €5k.

After that - well it’s up to you both how you fight out the €5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭dubrov

Surely they made a fixed price so a rise in the price of materials is their problem.

True but it was a verbal quote ..i asked for written but it never came ...anyway the extra 300 is moot as they asking for an extra 5..
    to tell u the basic costs ...they built a pergola 16th x 12 with patio
    and rebuilt a wall which 160 blocks and did guttering ...we bought patio slabs ourselves ...they are charging 16,000 for this

• Advertisement

True but it was a verbal quote ..i asked for written but it never came ...anyway the extra 300 is moot as they asking for an extra 5..
    to tell u the basic costs ...they built a pergola 16th x 12 with patio
    and rebuilt a wall which 160 blocks and did guttering ...we bought patio slabs ourselves ...they are charging 16,000 for this

It doesn't matter if it was verbal. Remind them of the price they quoted and indicate you will be paying that.

dubrov wrote: »
    It doesn't matter if it was verbal. Remind them of the price they quoted and indicate you will be paying that.
    yeah i think ur right i just think 16,000 is way to much for that work anyway

we have just got an independent builder in to do valuation on work done ..it looks like we have been charged 10,000 over ...feel sick

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

Does the 2k for material include or exclude VAT?

Does the final price include or exclude VAT?

Did the 2K price you got include delivery to site? may be not that much in fairness but still a cost

If I was ordering materials for a job I'd be adding a margin to it above what the cost was to cover my overheads and make a few quid.

Detailed breakdown is your only way to see whats happening...

Frogeye wrote:
    Does the 2k for material include or exclude VAT?

Frogeye wrote:
    Does the final price include or exclude VAT?

Frogeye wrote:
    Did the 2K price you got include delivery to site? may be not that much in fairness but still a cost

Frogeye wrote:
    If I was ordering materials for a job I'd be adding a margin to it above what the cost was to cover my overheads and make a few quid.

Frogeye wrote:
    Detailed breakdown is your only way to see whats happening...

I don't think any of that is relevant. The OP agreed a fixed price. The builder cannot just unilaterally add on costs once the work is complete

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭briangriffin

we have just got an independent builder in to do valuation on work done ..it looks like we have been charged 10,000 over ...feel sick

If it was me I'd not be paying the 5k extra anyways not a fear of it.
    It's too late for you now but I also learned the hard way that you need a detailed cost in writing thats agreed by both of you. You need 4 prices minimum to keep builders honest especially in todays market, there are many who will take the proverbial.
    If you agreed 21k I'm not sure what recourse you have I suppose it is entirely dependent on what you paid out already.
    Sickening for you to find it out it was way overpriced but it happens you won't be the last. I'd be making it known to your builder you will be uploading the price he has charged with pictures of the work complete to social media so he can have some free advertising - and be judged on his work - reputation is everything in that game.

Advertisement