Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mechanical Ventilation System - No extract it utility/laundry room.

Options
  • 15-05-2021 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I just received my contracts for a new build house. I've noticed in the contracts that the Mechanical Ventilation System only has extracts in the Kitchen and bathrooms. I would have expected that the utility room would have an extract too, or at least a vent.

Would a lack or a vent or extract in a utility room cause issues with mould or damp?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,995 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

What will you have in the utility that will produce high levels of warm air and steam?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

DubLad69 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I just received my contracts for a new build house. I've noticed in the contracts that the Mechanical Ventilation System only has extracts in the Kitchen and bathrooms. I would have expected that the utility room would have an extract too, or at least a vent.

Would a lack or a vent or extract in a utility room cause issues with mould or damp?

High damp, moisture areas only. Kitchen, bathrooms and en-suite.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

There is a move afoot in some houses, with UFH, I see to put extract in a large utility room which can then be used for drying clothes

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭DubLad69

sydthebeat wrote: »
    What will you have in the utility that will produce high levels of warm air and steam?

I was concerned that the dryer and washing machine being in there would cause damp with a vent

• Subscribers Posts: 40,995 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I was concerned that the dryer and washing machine being in there would cause damp with a vent

The dryer should be vented to outside, and the washing machine also discharges waste water to outside.

As mentioned about, unless it's going to be used as an area which produces high moisture volumes, there's no need for a utility extract.

The more extracts you have, the more electricity will be used by the fans and the lower the MHRV efficiency

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭DubLad69

sydthebeat wrote: »
    The dryer should be vented to outside, and the washing machine also discharges waste water to outside.

As mentioned about, unless it's going to be used as an area which produces high moisture volumes, there's no need for a utility extract.

The more extracts you have, the more electricity will be used by the fans and the lower the MHRV efficiency

Great thanks, it's not possible to vent the dryer to outside as it's located in the middle of the house, so we will just be using a condescending dryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

I would consider a utility room a wet room so imo should have an extract especially if a condensing type dryer is to be used and/or it has no window.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭blackbox

MicktheMan wrote: »
    I would consider a utility room a wet room so imo should have an extract especially if a condensing type dryer is to be used and/or it has no window.

We have a condenser drier and it collects the water in a container. it doesn't cause any dampness in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

blackbox wrote: »
    We have a condenser drier and it collects the water in a container. it doesn't cause any dampness in the room.

Very good.
    The issue is though, not all dryers are equal (or maintained equally) so best err on the side of caution is my experience.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

MicktheMan wrote: »

I’d possibly agree with Mick here as the info about the washer/dryer came later and after the previous replies. Especially now that the utility doesn’t have a window either.

At the very least a mechanical extract fan powered by the light switch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ec_pc

There is a move afoot in some houses, with UFH, I see to put extract in a large utility room which can then be used for drying clothes

Yeah, we have large windowless utility with MVHR extract vent and it works a treat for drying clothes with no damp etc. Well worth considering in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭_Puma_

We have extract in our Utility. Contains Washing machine, sink and hot water tank and was tanked as a wet room.

Clothes are dried in it very efficiently. Opted against a dryer as we simply don't need it, even in very damp days outside where the Relative humidity climbs indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

We have a condenser drier in our utility and also a large shiela maid (ceiling clothes airer on a pulley). Combination of opening the window and vented fan (vent axia svara bluetooth) that's timed to come on for 90mins twice a day keeps condensation at bay. Fan can also be set to continuous trickle if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

digitaldr wrote: »
    We have a condenser drier in our utility and also a large shiela maid (ceiling clothes airer on a pulley). Combination of opening the window and vented fan (vent axia svara bluetooth) that's timed to come on for 90mins twice a day keeps condensation at bay. Fan can also be set to continuous trickle if needed.

Have u MHVR?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement