Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

250L or 300L hot water cylinder?

Options
  • 21-05-2021 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

I'm replacing the hot water cylinder with a new one.

Trying to decide between 250L and 300L Staineless steel tank (same cost - both 3 coil)

Heating is oil + solar thermal + eddie solar pv diverter.

I'm leaning towards the 250L as only 2 in house and less volume means higher temp water faster?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,090 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

corglass wrote: »

Trying to decide between 250L and 300L Staineless steel tank (same cost - both 3 coil)

I'm leaning towards the 250L as only 2 in house and less volume means higher temp water faster?

alternatively 300 litres allows you to utilise your renewable energy better

however average consumption of hot water per person per day is 50 litres.. so you dont need anything like 300 litres

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ec_pc

250 will be fine, meets all our needs for 3 adults + 2 children, have never run out of hot water even on busy days with baths / showers after sports etc. Heated once in morning, top up about 6 pm automatically if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

ec_pc wrote: »
    250 will be fine, meets all our needs for 3 adults + 2 children, have never run out of hot water even on busy days with baths / showers after sports etc. Heated once in morning, top up about 6 pm automatically if needed.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭KCross

ec_pc wrote: »

That’s why you’ve never run out! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭KCross

corglass wrote: »

Since you have Solar and the price is the same I’d go for 300l all day long.

Especially if you plan to have any power showers, but even without them it’s better to be looking at it than for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,947 ✭✭✭✭unkel

sydthebeat wrote: »
    average consumption of hot water per person per day is 50 litres.. so you dont need anything like 300 litres

Consumption is a tad higher with a wife and 3 teenage daughters :D

Went for 360l myself when I needed to upgrade 5 years ago. It was the max that could possibly fit in our hotpress. Make sure you get a highly insulated one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

Went 300l in the end. Happy I avoided the 250L as it's regularly reaching max immersion temp by midday

• Registered Users Posts: 45,280 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Does anyone have an approx price on the cost of a 300L tank and installation? Rough total cost.

Plan to upgrade a 120L tank next year.

Thanks

Advertisement