Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Automatic 8-10k

Options
  • 18-05-2021 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

Looking for automatic car for the wife . Budget 8- 10 k .preferably 8k. Engine not to be bigger than 1.6l. won't get huge mileage but living in rural area so probably get 2*70km trips a week plus numerous shorter ones. Any ideas would be welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

How big a car does she need, what’s she driving at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

colm_mcm wrote: »
    How big a car does she need, what’s she driving at the moment?

We share skoda superb at the moment. She doesn't need a big car but open to any suggestion but has to be 1.6 l or less

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭User1998

Toyota Aqua

User1998 wrote: »
    Toyota Aqua

Is that not an import.? Harder to get insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭User1998

Yep there an import. I was driving one for the past week. Really nice car to drive. I think it would be fine for the 70km trip.1.5 hybrid with €170 tax. I was getting 65mpg easily. Insurance is grand on them for the most part

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If your going small car then generally alot of the cars for sale will probably be Japanese imports as small automatic cars are fairly thin on the ground here. Best ring your insurance company first to make sure they will insure it for a reasonable price before committing to buying one. Honda Jazz/Fit will do the job, most of the Japanese imported ones tend to be hybrids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Sounds like a perfect use case for Nissan Leaf with your budget and you will save a few bob with running costs.

krissovo wrote: »
    Sounds like a perfect use case for Nissan Leaf with your budget and you will save a few bob with running costs.

Are they reliable and what about maintenance costs. Do you have to put in a home charger

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Servicing costs are basically brake fluid changes and normal brakes and suspension wear and tear.

Reliability is up there with the best of them, only thing to watch out for is battery capacity reduces slightly over time but with your range requirements it would not be much of a issue.

You can charge with a outside plug. With your range and be ok but the home charge points are a good investment.

Might have a look at this the weekend.
    Any thoughts. Is the road tax right on this at 750. Seems very high

• Advertisement

Link missing!

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Is the mileage correct on that? Look at the drivers seat - wear and sagginess?
    Road tax prob is correct due to higher emissions with the automatic

Sorry but that’s horrendous value for money. I know people like Golfs, but 9 grand is steep, plus you’ve got the risky 1.4 TSI engine combined with an equally risky DSG box, then it’s €750 tax on top of all that!
    I’d sooner eat nine grand :D

Sorry but that’s horrendous value for money. I know people like Golfs, but 9 grand is steep, plus you’ve got the risky 1.4 TSI engine combined with an equally risky DSG box, then it’s €750 tax on top of all that!
    I’d sooner eat nine grand :D

I thought the 750 might be a mistake. Not interested now . Any other recommendations as I now have to get the car by end of may.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

The lack of anything nice using the filters you provided is depressing.....no wonder you picked that golf it's about the best of what's out there.

Anyway, if I was constrained to max 1.6 automatic under budget I'd look at this car below

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-fluance-automatic-2016-really-low-milage/25327404

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbolounge

I thought the 750 might be a mistake. Not interested now . Any other recommendations as I now have to get the car by end of may.

It's gone up to €790 in the last budget. Avoid.

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    The lack of anything nice using the filters you provided is depressing.....no wonder you picked that golf it's about the best of what's out there.

Anyway, if I was constrained to max 1.6 automatic under budget I'd look at this car below

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-fluance-automatic-2016-really-low-milage/25327404

Fluence is a diesel, won't be suited to shorter trips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

It's gone up to €790 in the last budget. Avoid.

Fair enough for people that are stuck with and already have a high road tax car- but I'd definitely not willingly go out and buy one unless it was for buttons- that's a lot of money to come up with annually vs something circa €200 on the newer system.

road_high wrote: »
    Fair enough for people that are stuck with and already have a high road tax car- but I'd definitely not willingly go out and buy one unless it was for buttons- that's a lot of money to come up with annually vs something circa €200 on the newer system.

That is on the newer system though. It’s just a high emissions model.

That is on the newer system though. It’s just a high emissions model.

Exactly. A Mk5 GTi on the cc system would be cheaper to tax funnily enough, and probably a lot cheaper to buy too. If I was going for a golf, I know which one I'd have.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

Hyundai ix20/Kia Venga - same car underneath
    Honda jazz
    Kia ceed/ hyundai i30 - same car underneath

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

kerten wrote: »
    Hyundai ix20/Kia Venga - same car underneath
    Honda jazz
    Kia ceed/ hyundai i30 - same car underneath
    might struggle with those in auto (as in theres one ceed on donedeal in that price range !)

might struggle with those in auto (as in theres one ceed on donedeal in that price range !)

Think I will go for Toyota aqua or Honda fit. Will ring insurance company on Monday to check out if there's a problem with imports.im with fbd

Think I will go for Toyota aqua or Honda fit. Will ring insurance company on Monday to check out if there's a problem with imports.im with fbd

In general if the same model is sold in Ireland, there shouldn't be a problem (e.g. vitz/Yaris, fit/jazz) maybe a small loading, although if the model isn't sold in Ireland, they might be reluctant to give you a quote due to parts availability should the car be in an accident.

Advertisement