Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turbo trainer bike gears

Options
  • 20-05-2021 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi ,I have an Elite turbo trainer with a 10 speed Shimano cassette attached and I want to get a 2nd hand bike to leave permanently attached to the trainer, I was offered an Appollo but I think it had a 7 speed cassette, my question is can I use this bike or will it be a complete mess with the gearing when I try and cycle it attached to the 10 speed cassette, I hope this makes sense, I have been told 2 different things , thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Euppy

Shelby219 wrote: »
    Hi ,I have an Elite turbo trainer with a 10 speed Shimano cassette attached and I want to get a 2nd hand bike to leave permanently attached to the trainer, I was offered an Appollo but I think it had a 7 speed cassette, my question is can I use this bike or will it be a complete mess with the gearing when I try and cycle it attached to the 10 speed cassette, I hope this makes sense, I have been told 2 different things , thanks in advance

As it stands, the apollo bike will not work with the cassette on the trainer.

Firstly a 7 speed chain will be too wide for 10speed cassette. You could remove the 10speed cassette and sell it. Then buy a 7 speed cassette and install it on the turbo with some spacers.

The apollo likely uses a 7 speed freewheel rather than a cassette so i doubt you could install it on the turbo.

An alternative would be to install a 10speed shifter onto the apollo bike. I assume the apollo is shimano. It is very likely to work but you have to be careful with which type of shimano shifter you choose as they changed the pull ratio. You'd also have to get a narrower 10speed chain. Wouldn't recommend this route if you don't know your stuff about pull ratios and differences between shimano models.

Finally, if the apollo uses friction shifter rather than index shifters, you could just swap the chain. Friction shifters work on any cassette.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Shelby219

That all sounds very complicated for me ,I literally just wanted to be able to put the bike straight on the trainer, so I suppose a regular 10 speed Racer would be the simplest??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

You may already have the 10 speed cassette for the turbo? Either or, get a new cassette for the bike or get a second hand one (check the ads here, or put a wanted ad in) and then try and source a 10 speed rear derailleur, chain and right 10 speed shifter for the Apollo. You don't need to replace anything else unless you're fussy about looks. You might be able to do it cheap enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

You could just buy a wheel with the same cassette as your road bike. I have a spare wheel and i changed my 11-28 original cassette with a new 11-32. It only takes a minute to swap bikes. Because I am using my road bike I got the chance to set it up almost perfect while using the trainer.

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

Thanks for all the information, I have a better understanding now of what I can do��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Is it a wheel on or wheel off turbo? If it is a wheel off turbo, you should be able to get a 7 speed cassettes, and with spacers, get it to work.

What worked for me on my Saris/ Cyclops "10/11 speed" Hammer...
    • 7 speed cassette (Shimano CS-HG41)
    • 1.85mm spacer (used for 8/9/10 speed on 11 speed freehub - one may have come with the turbo)
    • 4.5mm spacer (used for 7 speed cassette on 8/9 speed freehub)
    • You may have to adjust the rear derailleur
    It looks a bit off with the spacers, but worked fine for me on the turbo for TrainerRoad and Zwift. I only swapped it off for the "winter" bike as I was doing more Zwift racing and wanted smaller jumps between gears. Come the autumn, the 7 speed will probably go back on.

I got the above from SJS Cycles in the UK, but post Brexit, it may be worth checking the German sites first.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 RachEv

Hi
    I've done exactly this in last few days.
    Have an elite direto xr turbo.
    Was given a 7 speed bike so I don't have to keep swapping in and out my 'good' bike. It works fine to a point but then bike doesn't know what to do with extra gears.
    I have simply been told to swap the cassette out on the turbo for the one from the bike. Not done yet but can update once complete if you like.

It's an Elite Zumo smart trainer (wheel off)

Advertisement