Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixing a cack-hand grip

Options
  • 20-05-2021 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this isnt the right place to be posting mods please remove if this is the case.

Basically looking for help or tips on gripping the club properly. A bit of a background, joined my local club last week haven't held a club in about 3 years until a couple of weeks ago used to play sporadically at a par 3 course maybe 5 or 6 times a year never took it too seriously but now that I'm in a proper club I want to try and improve and get a handicap. I'm 30 in a couple of weeks and have always used the hurling grip while playing golf as it just felt more natural to me. Took a few trips to the driving range in the last couple of weeks with the intention of practicing gripping the club properly and trying to find a rhythm but it's just feeling completely alien to me and I find myself off balance more often than not. Is it just a matter of sticking with it or is there any help anyone could provide?

I was thinking of looking into getting lessons but feel I would be wasting my time as they would tell me to sort out my grip?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Apologies if this isnt the right place to be posting mods please remove if this is the case.

Basically looking for help or tips on gripping the club properly. A bit of a background, joined my local club last week haven't held a club in about 3 years until a couple of weeks ago used to play sporadically at a par 3 course maybe 5 or 6 times a year never took it too seriously but now that I'm in a proper club I want to try and improve and get a handicap. I'm 30 in a couple of weeks and have always used the hurling grip while playing golf as it just felt more natural to me. Took a few trips to the driving range in the last couple of weeks with the intention of practicing gripping the club properly and trying to find a rhythm but it's just feeling completely alien to me and I find myself off balance more often than not. Is it just a matter of sticking with it or is there any help anyone could provide?

I was thinking of looking into getting lessons but feel I would be wasting my time as they would tell me to sort out my grip?

Thanks for any help

I went through this as a kid.

I played hurling, and was swinging golf clubs from as soon as i could walk.
    Everyone said to me you would have to change and so at the age of about 13 i made up my mind and changed to the conventional interlocking grip.
    It was horrendous initially. I remember it took me about two months to get comfortable, but once that was done i soon found i couldn't comfortably play cack handed.
    Basically it gets worse before it gets better.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Jimbee

Buy a preformed grip and put it on a practice club. If your not playing competitions put them on any or all clubs. It wont fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭phelimb

Went through this myself a long time ago. Was playing off a handicap of 12 when a playing partner one day said "you'll never get any better while you have that grip".
    So I decided to go for it and took 1 lesson to understand what a 'proper' grip should be and after about 6 months of frustration (many trips to the range and solo practice) I got my game back to being able to play off 12 again. Managed to drop the handicap down to 6 over the years (gone back up since) but maybe he was right.

If you are willing to spend the time and put up with the frustration then go for it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭6o9fv7jpreb180

Went through this as well about 6 or 7 years ago. I stopped going to the range or course for a month or two as I was trying to change. Spent a lot of time in the garden chipping and taking half shots with the new grip. eventually built up to full shots.

It is definitely worth making the change. After a few months, I remember trying to hold a club cack handed and it just felt completely alien.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Put in the hours at the range, it'll feel natural quicker than you think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Jimbee wrote: »
    Buy a preformed grip and put it on a practice club. If your not playing competitions put them on any or all clubs. It wont fail.

This would be a solid idea. I remember working on grip when I started getting lessons years ago. One tip from the pro was have a club in the room with you at home, and just pick it up and hold it with the correct grip for a few minutes every day, will start to feel a bit more natural after

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

Thanks for all the replies finding some solace in the fact that there have been others felt the way I'm feeling just have to stick with it until it feels natural. Will look into picking up a preformed grip aswell as even holding it the correct way will help before I start swinging the club.

Advertisement