Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eddie Merckx Em525 and EMX525 frames info

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

some of those don't seem to show or explicitly mention seatposts - could be an issue if they're proprietary.
    i've a merckx frame (not one of those) and it's not a generic seatpost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭fat bloke

some of those don't seem to show or explicitly mention seatposts - could be an issue if they're proprietary.
    i've a merckx frame (not one of those) and it's not a generic seatpost.

Something to look out for alright because I'd say it's guaranteed non generic - the whole seat post fixing thing gets a lot of mentions, it's a fiddly enough twin allen key bolt affair on the seat tube.

What's your frame? The San Remo 76 looks nice too. They're heavy but...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have a mourenx 69. 2016 model i think?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Is that cossiels in blanchardstown?

If so he has a great reputation and I've often wondered about his stuff too

That's the guy yeah. I've seen examples in Laragh. They're unremarkable enough in the "flesh", or maybe I just haven't looked closely enough.

• Advertisement

there's a lovely belgian national jersey there that may be my size. tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

fat bloke wrote: »
    That's the guy yeah. I've seen examples in Laragh. They're unremarkable enough in the "flesh", or maybe I just haven't looked closely enough.

There was 2 there together on Sunday morning last. Agree the paint scheme is a bit meh but I like the frame shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Big Mig

Give him a shout and go have a look. He has a few new ones there not up on Adverts.
    I know him and he's sound and very easy to deal with. Brought a friend there last week to pick up a Merckx. They're Topsport Vlaanderen team bikes and frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭zindicato

Cossiels in adverts that's Kevin known him for a long time now and bought stuff off him recommended him to my mates who bought bikes & gears off him throughout the years, and I'm still buying small kits off him for my two kids who races.
    Get in touch with him, He is a real gentleman to deal with.

Yeah, I was back on forth with him in the frames, he just doesn't seem to have anything in my size at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭PringleDemon

The latest 525 that the pro's are riding are Ridley bikes painted with Merckx logo's . Not a lot of heritage to them anymore , the Eddy Merckx brand is owned by Ridley

The original 525 from about 8 yrs ago was an exceptional machine!

The latest 525 that the pro's are riding are Ridley bikes painted with Merckx logo's . Not a lot of heritage to them anymore , the Eddy Merckx brand is owned by Ridley

The original 525 from about 8 yrs ago was an exceptional machine!

That's interesting! I did hear that about Ridley. Does it only apply to the new ones? Because the older ones are very distinctive construction, with the "stepped" rear stays and stuff, which I've never seen on a Ridley.

Did you have one of the old 525's yourself? They get glowing reviews, but they look a bit dated.

This Sanremo76 frame looks like a great deal at first looking at the rrp
    https://www.probikeshop.com/en/ie/eddy-merckx-sanremo76-road-frame-black-silver-2020-exclusive-edition/197683.html

But then when you go onto the Merckx site, you can buy fully built up bikes on those frames with ultegra for about 3 grand, so the rrp of those frames was never anything like that. Nice looking frames, but... again... on the heavy side.

Did you have a 525?

i mailed merckx soon after i got my bike (S/H) with a query and got a fairly terse 'we just bought the company, we have no documentation we can help you with because that was the old company' reply.
    would make you wonder about the lifetime warranties they'd offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭joey100

I had a Merckx bike when the company was owned by Merckx, think around 2012. Wasn't the 525, think was more mid level one. It was grand, nothing special to be honest. Looked well but nothing stood out about the bike really. Remember getting it serviced and it had some awkward parts on it for changing and the shop cursing it a bit but other than that nothing stands out about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭PringleDemon

fat bloke wrote: »
    That's interesting! I did hear that about Ridley. Does it only apply to the new ones? Because the older ones are very distinctive construction, with the "stepped" rear stays and stuff, which I've never seen on a Ridley.

Did you have one of the old 525's yourself? They get glowing reviews, but they look a bit dated.

This Sanremo76 frame looks like a great deal at first looking at the rrp
    https://www.probikeshop.com/en/ie/eddy-merckx-sanremo76-road-frame-black-silver-2020-exclusive-edition/197683.html

But then when you go onto the Merckx site, you can buy fully built up bikes on those frames with ultegra for about 3 grand, so the rrp of those frames was never anything like that. Nice looking frames, but... again... on the heavy side.

Did you have a 525?

Had the original 525 bike , back then they where Di2 only. Great bikes at the time and as stated very unique frame styling.
    That San Remo 76 looks to be excellent value

Advertisement