Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Ball Club comps only

• 19-05-2021 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi

Do most Clubs play fourballs or three balls in comps. My club plays fourballs all the time and im going to leave as its taking too long to play comps. Just wondering what clubs in Dublin play three balls the majority of the time for club comps.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭blue note

As far as I can see it's pretty much all 4balls. Our monthly medal is a threeball, but that's the exception for us.

I completely agree with you though that threeballs are just better. They're considerably faster and more sociable as the three players tend to chat for the round rather than a fourball where it tends to be split into two one on one conversations most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

blue note wrote: »
    As far as I can see it's pretty much all 4balls. Our monthly medal is a threeball, but that's the exception for us.

I completely agree with you though that threeballs are just better. They're considerably faster and more sociable as the three players tend to chat for the round rather than a fourball where it tends to be split into two one on one conversations most of the time.

I too rather 3 balls but I think you will struggle find anywhere these days

Grange Castle had it for ages but not possible with member numbers there now

If a club does 4balls at 10 minute intervals they'll have space for 144 players if they run a comp from 7am until 1pm. 3balls at 9 minute intervals they'll have space for 120 players.

As long as I'm not one of the 24 missing out I think this is a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

blue note wrote: »
    If a club does 4balls at 10 minute intervals they'll have space for 144 players if they run a comp from 7am until 1pm. 3balls at 9 minute intervals they'll have space for 120 players.

As long as I'm not one of the 24 missing out I think this is a great idea.

Can't agree. Having a fourball match with your mates within the competition makes the day much more enjoyable.

I imagine a lot of people agree with you. I wonder what the majority would prefer? My gut tells me 3balls but I wonder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

All Comps are 3 balls in my club, much prefer it, four balls are fine if you get out early in the day. But I find if you are going out in a 4ball in the back half of the timesheet the rounds just seem to take forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thewobbler

My inclination is that it’s not the size of the boat but the awareness of the passengers that matters.

Put a couple of slow, methodical players out in sequential groups, and it matters little if they play in a 3 or a 4, the rest of us will be waiting.

Of course the size of the group matters. If you have an extra player your group might take 90 extra shots. If they take an average of 15 seconds a shot that's an extra 23 minutes. If the average player spends 5 minutes looking for balls in a round that's an another 5 minutes. And you can't always get ready for your shot while the others are hitting. If they're 50 yards short of you you'll have to wait for them to hit before going to your ball and deciding what shot to play. In a fourball this will happen more.

Of course how fast / aware / deliberate the players are makes a difference, but if you add a player to a threeball there's a tiny percentage chance that he won't add time to the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

3 or 4 in 9 hole comps is grand

4 ball casual golf is great

4 ball in 18 hole singles comps is torture for anyone who likes to play at an acceptable pace

• Registered Users Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

We got rid of 4 balls as they were just too slow. 3 balls have been far better, probably 40 mins quicker.

Grange Castle used to be 3 balls when I was a member there a few years ago maybe different now after corona.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

We were usually been 3 balls, but mail sent out last weekend that people complaining they couldn't get out for comps so did a split last weekend before 11 3 ball after 11 4 ball. From this week on moving to 4 balls only for the time being. Hoping it goes back to 3 or morning afternoon split at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 17 DaveQuinn2020

We only run Singles in 3-balls in Howth, regardless of whether its an informal singles or a Medal. 4-balls are far too slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

In normal circumstances we normally run 3 balls only in Castlewarden. They switched at the moment to 4s to cover major demand at the weekends

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

We have always been 4 balls but last summer (and this) we have 3 balls from 7.30 - 9.30 on Saturday and Sunday with 4 balls the rest of the time. It's a compromise and it's working well - so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

3 balls - Hermitage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭newport2

3 balls for Saturday comp, 4 balls for Sunday comp - Powerscourt

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭fungie

3 balls for singles in Donabate

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MarkGilmore

We got rid of 4 balls as they were just too slow. 3 balls have been far better, probably 40 mins quicker.

Grange Castle used to be 3 balls when I was a member there a few years ago maybe different now after corona.

where is your club??

Advertisement