Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Laptop - keeping is safe?

Options
  • 19-05-2021 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure where to post this but I'll try here.

I'm in the process of getting a new Laptop and would like to keep it like new :D

It will be be a Windows 10 Laptop

What AV, Malware, Adblockers, etc should I consider using?

Also, should I create an Admin Access then create individual restricted access for each member of the family - would this lessen the likelihood of a virus being downloaded

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

phog wrote: »
    Not sure where to post this but I'll try here.

I'm in the process of getting a new Laptop and would like to keep it like new :D

It will be be a Windows 10 Laptop

What AV, Malware, Adblockers, etc should I consider using?

Also, should I create an Admin Access then create individual restricted access for each member of the family - would this lessen the likelihood of a virus being downloaded

Thanks in advance

Id recommend Avast, install the free version and disable notifications, found it uses the least RAM on a day to day basis.

I would literally uninstall everything (bloatware) before you connect to the Internet. These free trials just take up space and you'll most likely never use them bar a possible office 365 trial.

You don't need a paid antivirus, the laptop will probably have a free trial of mcafee etc. Uninstall this first before installing a free antivirus!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭phog

Would it be safe/ok to do a Windows 10 refresh before I do anything else with the laptop. Would that remove the freeware stuff?

Is there a danger I could remove programs that are required by the laptop by doing that?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

phog wrote: »
    Would it be safe/ok to do a Windows 10 refresh before I do anything else with the laptop. Would that remove the freeware stuff?

Is there a danger I could remove programs that are required by the laptop by doing that?

To be honest, I don't know! I'm just going on personal experience of buying a dog rough Laptop in a panic at the start of Covid that was extremely slow!

I manually uninstalled all the bloatware and seemed to work for me!

Advertisement