Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Mondeo 2015

Options
  • 19-05-2021 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭

Hi folks just wondering does anyone have any experience with a 2015 Mondeo. Have a zetec model on hold with very low mileage (under 60k). Cracking looking body and decent kit in general - apart from the radio/console which isn't great compared to other cars of its class.

I thought all of this generation Mondeo's had touchscreen radios but this one doesn't for whatever reason. Anything i should look out for apart from the usual checks?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The standard radio isn’t a touchscreen alright. It just has buttons either side of the screen. Not a massive deal really given the limited functionality of the standard system.

If it’s the 1.5 or 1.6 diesel, make sure you drive one before buying to make sure you’re happy with how they drive.

One common fault with them is creaking clutch. Can’t remember what fault it signals but it’s important anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭jones

Cheers Colm_mcm yes its a 1.6 diesel 115bhp and you are right for the heads up it does feel slightly underpowered for the size of the car but its quiet and efficient. My current car is a 2 litre golf and definitely feels a lot more 'sprightly' but its nots a deal breaker for me. I need a bigger car and am getting a good deal on this one. Just wanted to make sure there was nothing else i should be checking.

I hadnt noticed the clutch creaking so i'll keep an eye out for that.

Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭maconof

Have had a MK5 Mondeo for 2 years now and love it. Same as yourself I needed a bigger car with extra space and the boot is the largest in the saloon class for that kind of model plus is a joy to drive. Mine is a 2-litre but I test drove the 1.6 before I bought it. The difference is pretty noticeable power-wise I thought (very sluggish takeoff at roundabouts etc).

In not exaggerating - I nearly wrecked one we had at work a few times going into roundabouts and coming out of junctions. There’s just a huge flat spot down low, and while it’s grand once you’re up to speed, and I’m sure you’d get used to it, for me it ruins the car.
    If you can get a 2.0, then I’d thoroughly recommend you do. Around 35% of Mondeos sold were 2.0 so they’re not rare.

Cheers folks and i know what you mean powerwise - particularly in first gear, its not the quickest out of the blocks so i can definitely see how it could be troublesome at roundabouts if you are expecting it to take off when you press the accelorator and its a little more sluggish than you'd like.

I am getting a great deal on the 1.6 with a combination of mileage and price so i'll take it for another test drive to be 100% sure it'll suit my needs. There are a lot of 2 litres around but the mileage on them is collossal even on 181 versions. When i found this car first i was a little skeptical of a 151 having less than 60k mileage but it all checks out from log books etc so everything seems above board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

jones wrote: »
    Cheers folks and i know what you mean powerwise - particularly in first gear, its not the quickest out of the blocks so i can definitely see how it could be troublesome at roundabouts if you are expecting it to take off when you press the accelorator and its a little more sluggish than you'd like.

I am getting a great deal on the 1.6 with a combination of mileage and price so i'll take it for another test drive to be 100% sure it'll suit my needs. There are a lot of 2 litres around but the mileage on them is collossal even on 181 versions. When i found this car first i was a little skeptical of a 151 having less than 60k mileage but it all checks out from log books etc so everything seems above board.

You could just get the 1.6 ecu remapped, by a reputable company that is, should bring that 115bhp to the ballpark of 150bhp safely with a stage 1. It'd definitely have enough poke to get going then

BlakeS94 wrote: »
    You could just get the 1.6 ecu remapped, by a reputable company that is, should bring that 115bhp to the ballpark of 150bhp safely with a stage 1. It'd definitely have enough poke to get going then

Interesting...how much would that cost in ballpark terms?

It’s not a lack of bhp really that’s the problem. It’s either turbo lag or tall gearing that causes the problem moving off from a standstill. Maybe a map could improve things but I wouldn’t be focussing on peak bhp figures.
    Once you get to like 10km/h it’s grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

BlakeS94 wrote: »

This is a good suggestion. I done this with a 1.3 astra and the low down torque was massively improved, getting off the line was a lot less effort.
    I paid €250 for my map and it was an economy map but brought me from 90bhp to 120bhp.

Thanks again folks great info to get. The car is fine once it's moving but agree the first few KPH are a little sluggish.

Might be worth looking at as I'm getting a great deal on this car so if I can increase the start off speed/power for about 250 it would seem to be a win win

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It’s not a lack of bhp really that’s the problem. It’s either turbo lag or tall gearing that causes the problem moving off from a standstill. Maybe a map could improve things but I wouldn’t be focussing on peak bhp figures.
    Once you get to like 10km/h it’s grand.

A remap doesn't solely focus on bhp increase, it improves the throttle response and where the first bit of torque is felt, a remap usually allows for low down torque to be increased, more so in a diesel engine. Better low down torque= faster getting up to speed

jones wrote: »
    Interesting...how much would that cost in ballpark terms?

It cost me €280, but Ecu had to be pinned, couldn't be done through OBD port, which is usually cheaper, ring a few places around that offer the service, just not a lad doing it off his own back all by himself, I got mine done by a Viezu agent in Tipperary, pulls the data from ECU, sends it to Viezu, they alter the data and send the file back which is then uploaded back into the ECU. Tried and tested with all makes and models so no worries about reliability. Most places will offer a money back guarantee if you're not happy, avoid places that don't.

P.s if you do decide on remapping and want to take it off years down the line, the place you got it should have the original file stored from your car, they can just install it again free of charge.

Thanks for all the info folks. I went with the Mondeo 1.6 and it's a lovely car well minded and low mileage. Engine seems good too but admittedly I will not be winning any fast and furious style races in it but it's smooth and quiet

Advertisement