Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Assistant Lecturer Scale: point of entry based on previous experience

• 15-05-2021 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hello all,

I'm looking to establish if my past (part-time) lecturing experience in other institutions can be taken into account when establishing my potential starting point on the Assistant Lecturer salary scale (IoT).

Some of my past teaching has been non-scale (occasional/adjunct at universities), and some on the College Teacher scale (IoT) but the nature of the responsibilities have been equivalent to those of colleagues on the Assistant Lecturer Scale (albeit on a part-time basis). The number of annual teaching hours involved are significant, as is the number of years I've been teaching at third-level. This experience was gained post-2001, which from what I've read seems to be a cut-off point of sorts.

Is there any likelihood of being able to enter at a point higher than point 1 of the AL scale, based on my experience (and given that I hold postgrad qualifications)?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭floorpie

Hello all,

I'm looking to establish if my past (part-time) lecturing experience in other institutions can be taken into account when establishing my potential starting point on the Assistant Lecturer salary scale (IoT).

Some of my past teaching has been non-scale (occasional/adjunct at universities), and some on the College Teacher scale (IoT) but the nature of the responsibilities have been equivalent to those of colleagues on the Assistant Lecturer Scale (albeit on a part-time basis). The number of annual teaching hours involved are significant, as is the number of years I've been teaching at third-level. This experience was gained post-2001, which from what I've read seems to be a cut-off point of sorts.

Is there any likelihood of being able to enter at a point higher than point 1 of the AL scale, based on my experience (and given that I hold postgrad qualifications)?

Thanks for any advice.

Just check the job spec or similar ones from the same institute, it'll say whether it's bottom of scale or not. My uni you start bottom of the scale, non-negotiable.

I can't see any universities letting you equate duties on a lower scale (teaching) to those of a lecturer or professsor in order to get a higher point on that scale. Whether or not the nature of the responsibilities are similar, they're generally not the same. But again just check the specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Hollyjolliday

Thanks a million for the reply (and great name, by the way!).

That's a bit of a bummer - my duties are exactly the same as part-time colleagues on the AL payscale who started work before me (meetings, committees, boards, supervision, curriculum review, assessment, expectations of availability etc) and I'm equally qualified. Also, research isn't expected of them as there is an emphasis is on teaching at my current institution. I think when I entered the institution may have been trying to save money and put me on the lower pay scale. I was young, inexperienced and foolish and just didn't know to question it: just delighted to "get in the door", as they say! Kind of gutting that after over a decade of experience and chasing my tail I'll enter at the same point as someone who is (potentially) new to third level. It looks like I'd be better off getting out of this altogether.

Let this be a warning to others!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭floorpie

Thanks a million for the reply (and great name, by the way!).

That's a bit of a bummer - my duties are exactly the same as part-time colleagues on the AL payscale who started work before me (meetings, committees, boards, supervision, curriculum review, assessment, expectations of availability etc) and I'm equally qualified. Also, research isn't expected of them as there is an emphasis is on teaching at my current institution. I think when I entered the institution may have been trying to save money and put me on the lower pay scale. I was young, inexperienced and foolish and just didn't know to question it: just delighted to "get in the door", as they say! Kind of gutting that after over a decade of experience and chasing my tail I'll enter at the same point as someone who is (potentially) new to third level. It looks like I'd be better off getting out of this altogether.

Let this be a warning to others!!

I'm not being flippant in saying "check the spec"...it really depends on the institution/uni, so don't be bummed out yet. I'm speaking only about my uni when I say it's bottom of scale only, so please don't read too much into me saying this.

You could phone all their HRs in an hour and find out for sure. E.g. TUD have some assistant lecturer positions up now and say you'll be appointed at the appropriate point. Perhaps your experience would apply here.

Am I reading right that you don't have a PhD? If not, I assume that your duties have differed in that you haven't supervised PhDs, worked on grant and funding applications, had publishing requirements etc. You'd also be stuck below the bar in some places without PhD, so check that also if you're phoning.

If you have PhD then it sounds like you have the experience to apply for assistant professorships also.

Very helpful, thank you! There's a glimmer of hope, ha! Good shout on calling HR - I'll give them a buzz. Thanks again for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭dahamster

Very helpful, thank you! There's a glimmer of hope, ha! Good shout on calling HR - I'll give them a buzz. Thanks again for your help.

Get the position first. Join the TUI. Give the branch officers all the info and negotiate from there. i'd be surprised if you weren't given incremental credit to be honest.

• Advertisement

Thanks a mil. I wouldn't be so arrogant to assume that I'd get the position, ha! If I was fortunate enough to get it would mean a massive upheaval and I'd need to have a clear picture of the financial implications before taking the leap, which is a pity as it sounds like this increment business would be dealt with only once you're in the job. Sure, I'll give it a go and hope for the best - it would be very helpful to get even a little incremental credit. Thanks for your help.

Advertisement