Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To block up a window or not

• 18-05-2021 10:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We're getting a new Kitchen in and will be extending the run which would then cover where there is a window currently. See the photo - it is 1m x 1m. Straight off I figured we need to take out the window and block it up. But is there any good reason why we couldn't just leave it and install the kitchen cabinets in front of it? And save on the expense.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

so if you look in the window from the outside you'll see the back of the press.
    will look very odd.
    I'd be blocking it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Thanks. Well there really isn't anything out that window. Just backs onto other back gardens. I would pull the blind down so it won't look bad. I'm not concerned about the aesthetics tbh, just potential problems that I'm not seeing. Damp?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

That room looks dark enough to begin with. It'll be a cave if you block up or cover that window. I don't know if it's your home or you're renting it out (in which case you might not really care) but I would do everything possible to avoid losing that light. Could you not just extend the presses on the bottom and on either side of the window?

That's just a sh*te photo. The room's plenty bright and will be even more so after we put in a new set of French doors :) Just really want to focus construction reasons not to leave it.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deeec

redser7 wrote: »
    That's just a sh*te photo. The room's plenty bright and will be even more so after we put in a new set of French doors :) Just really want to focus construction reasons not to leave it.
    Thanks

If you are getting french doors that will bring in enough light I would block up the window.

Could you just leave the window and put cabinets up to the edge of the window. I wouldnt put cabinets in front of the window - it would look a very messy finish.

• Advertisement

Thanks. No, the kitchen design is final. There will be a bank of tall cabinets across the window area. Internally, it will look no different whether we brick up the window or not. Externally, if we keep the window, it will just look like a pulled blind from the outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭raxy

Only thing I can think of is if there is a problem with the window & down the line it needs to be repaired/replaced would that be possible without access from inside. Maybe you could block it up from the outside if that was to happen.
    We blocked an external door in our kitchen recently. We just left the door & blocked it with plasterboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

The u-value and thermal performance of the window will be worse than the wall so it will be a cold spot with no air circulation if left but kitchen units put in front. Kitchens are humid with cooking and with no air circulation I'd expect mold growth over time. The cost of blocking it up is tiny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The upside down picture was pure annoying. But that aside I wouldn't remove light from that room unless you are specifically adding light elsewhere close by.

So no keep the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

I would also expect you could have a problem with damp and mould if you leave the window. You don't want that. Given you won't be seeing the wall on the inside you wouldn't need to plaster/paint it etc. so that should keep the cost down a bit?

• Advertisement

Thanks all for the replies. It's squeaky bum time with the quote so trying to shave off what I can. We'll block it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Hope you don't install the new kitchen upside down this time:)

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭noplacehere

old thread but did you end up removing the window? Similar situation in our house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭Shoog

It will be a massive cold bridge if you leave it in. Will cause Condensation with only one route for it to escape - through the cabinets causing damp whatever.

Just a bad idea and it's not a big job to block a window.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭noplacehere

it wouldn’t be cabinets in front of it in our case, it would be the American fridge so can be pulled out to access, clean and monitor. It’s a large fridge which more than covers the window. The window doesn’t get much light and we would be doing reflective film and blind down so it looks well from the outside

Advertisement