Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing single glazed glass to double glazed

Options
  • 16-05-2021 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi all,
    We recently bought a house with timber framed single glazed windows. Some of them are large with small squares inside them. We are starting to get quotes for all new double glazed windows but have come across companies that can replace the existing glass with double glazed glass and we keep the frames which are in good enough condition. I have done a search but can only find posts from a few years back. Has anybody done this recently and did it work on making the rooms warmer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

IMO, I doubt the timber frame will be deep enough to take a decent DG panel.
    For opes, the hinges might not take the DG weight

How old are the frames?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SheepTurtle

IMO, I doubt the timber frame will be deep enough to take a decent DG panel.
    For opes, the hinges might not take the DG weight

How old are the frames?

I would say 40 years old but very sturdy. They are large and have the square panels in them too so not sure if it's possible to change the glass in those type windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

is it putty or beading?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SheepTurtle

is it putty or beading?

It is beading with 4cm of wood between each square.

Advertisement