Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 Person Inflatable Kayak - Advise

Options
  • 14-05-2021 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Hi Folks

Just looking for advice/guidance.

Bought a camper-van and interested in getting a kayak to bring along on our adventures. Must be inflatable (storage reasons) and fit a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 kids under the age of 8.

Been looking around but struggling to find something for 4 people.

Any advice?

Much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bob2oo7

Ha, maybe I will build my own ;-)

Kayak is ideal, but if not doable, another options is a 2 x 2/3 person one

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭WildWater

bob2oo7 wrote: »
    Hi Folks

Just looking for advice/guidance.

Bought a camper-van and interested in getting a kayak to bring along on our adventures. Must be inflatable (storage reasons) and fit a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 kids under the age of 8.

Been looking around but struggling to find something for 4 people.

Any advice?

Much appreciated.

I don’t thing you will find one for 4 people. I don’t every remember seeing one that’s for sure. I would consider two 2 person kayaks. Overall, I think that would be more versatile, a bit more fun paddling along together and most importantly, I would regard it as a much safer proposition than one 4 person.

Anyway, what I really came on to say is that you also need to think about how much space you have in the camper to carry this. Even a good single inflatable is a fairly big (and quite heavy) package when bagged up. I also have a camper and had a similar thought process. I’m always a bit tempted when I’m in a Decathlon store (especially if I’m in France and near water). I wrote about it in another thread. Anyway, I decided that I just didn’t have the room in the garage for it. My garage does transverse the camper but is is low, due to the U-Lounge configuration, but this might not be an issue for you.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I think you need an inflatable rib

I think you need an inflatable rib

Yeah I think you are right.

It will all be down to storage space and weight. Will have a look this week at what options are available.

Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Is there a particular reason not to get a rigid and carry it on the roof? Aside from loading it but you'd figure that out :pac:

Agreed on the comments above, I was out on the water yesterday and saw a couple packing up their 2-seater inflatable, it consumed most of the boot of their car!

• Advertisement

The reason for avoiding the roof is the solar panels. and the fact that we have a garage in the camper (but its getting more and more full as we buy stuff to take with us)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I've a two person inflatable kayak ( cheapo Aldi one ) , it's a grand little thing for messing about on calm water when there's little wind ... But it takes up a good size duffle bag , then add the pump ,and the life jackets .. it'd add up quick if you had 2 of them ,
    You could pack them into an odd shaped , awkward corner alright though ... Which might suit handily enough... I suppose it depends on the plan for your trip- As do you pack the bikes and the kayaks and the bbq gear and the drive away awning and everything else ( which is fine if you're pretty much going to drive to one location stay a while and then ce home , but not so good if you're Touring )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭listermint

bob2oo7 wrote: »
    The reason for avoiding the roof is the solar panels. and the fact that we have a garage in the camper (but its getting more and more full as we buy stuff to take with us)

Wouldn't you only need the solar when you get to destination. Therefore kayak comes down. Just a thought. But a rigid is far safer for your application. And probably less space than two inflatables or a rib which I would also think is less safe than a rigid .

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

I have just purchased a 2 person inflatable and I have a campervan. I have a reasonably decent garage space, which houses the usual table, chairs, awning, gas, spare toilet cassettes, ,water boiler, spare wheel and oh yes 2 x folding bikes. So space is becoming tight.

The Kayak when packed occupies about 100cm x 25cm x 60 cm which is sizeable enough. That includes the kayak seats. The paddles, pump, skeg, repair kit and other bits are in a separate duffle bag. The PFD jackets and booties reside inside the van as they have always done. I think, I have just enough space. I haven't been out yet. I can't imagine doing it with a hard shell.

I have tried researching IKs as much as possible. I see there is still quite a lot of controversy in some circles about them. I know there are a lot of toys out there, but I also see a lot of reviews and Youtube videos touting the benefits of quality IKs. There are many positive reviews of the high end, all drop stitch kayaks that are as rigid as any hard shell. I have opted for a high pressure drop stitch floor with regular PVC inflated side chambers and only plan to take it out on flat water.

Advertisement