Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trade in one for two

Options
  • 16-05-2021 8:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

Any advice much appreciated here.

Currently own a Skoda Octavia Estate. 152. 95k kms.
    Partner drives a 20 year old Yaris 1 litre.
    Have two young children.

Need to upgrade the Yaris due to its age and size.

There's no spare cash so the funds need to come from selling the Skoda.
    Looks like it might be worth 10-11k.
    So that's our budget for two cars.

Ideally hers would be similar to the Yaris but with some extra space for the kids. Her commute to work is stop start driving and school runs the same.

I would ideally like something similar to the Skoda. Love the car and it ticks all the boxes. But diesel probably isn't a good option for me anymore as my commute no longer involves long motor driving.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

If I'm reading it right you are looking to get rid of the Octavia and yaris and replace with 2 different cars out the proceeds?

Assuming budget is 10 to 12k for 2 cars, I'd be looking to sell both privately and buy 2 new ones privately, but use a mechanic to check them out. I reckon you'd get rid of Octavia privately easily enough and as for the yaris, no real value but you'll get a couple of hundred.

Now I've just done a very quick donedeal filter of cars between 5000 and 7000 and on the first page I could find matches that might suit you. There are 2000+ cars in that price range under 150000kms so there has to be plenty to suit. A bit of researching you'll find loads to suit.

If you split the bills roughly down the middle for both cars:

You could get something like this for yourself which is only a step down in years really but not a step down in anything else compared to your octavia

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/wv-passat-1-6-diesel-bluemotion-high/28054641

And something like this for herself which will be a nice upgrade on a 20 year old yaris. It's from a dealer so presumably you could do it cheaper privately

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-fiesta-1-2-2012-low-miles-nctd/28146433

Not advocating diesels or passats or Fiestas or anything, just showing that you've plenty of options and it's easily done.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    If I'm reading it right you are looking to get rid of the Octavia and yaris and replace with 2 different cars out the proceeds?

Assuming budget is 10 to 12k for 2 cars, I'd be looking to sell both privately and buy 2 new ones privately, but use a mechanic to check them out. I reckon you'd get rid of Octavia privately easily enough and as for the yaris, no real value but you'll get a couple of hundred.

Now I've just done a very quick donedeal filter of cars between 5000 and 7000 and on the first page I could find matches that might suit you. There are 2000+ cars in that price range under 150000kms so there has to be plenty to suit. A bit of researching you'll find loads to suit.

If you split the bills roughly down the middle for both cars:

You could get something like this for yourself which is only a step down in years really but not a step down in anything else compared to your octavia

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/wv-passat-1-6-diesel-bluemotion-high/28054641

And something like this for herself which will be a nice upgrade on a 20 year old yaris. It's from a dealer so presumably you could do it cheaper privately

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-fiesta-1-2-2012-low-miles-nctd/28146433

Not advocating diesels or passats or Fiestas or anything, just showing that you've plenty of options and it's easily done.

Thanks for your response.

Yes looking to sell the Skoda to fund two cars.

The Passat doesn't suit as its diesel (I only do a motorway drive once a week or so) and I'd preferably like an estate or something as roomy for trips away with the kids.
    The skoda is very reliable and low on tax and insurance, and a brilliant MPG. But I understand I'll have to compromise due to the lower budget.

gandalfio wrote: »
    Thanks for your response.

Yes looking to sell the Skoda to fund two cars.

The Passat doesn't suit as its diesel (I only do a motorway drive once a week or so) and I'd preferably like an estate or something as roomy for trips away with the kids.
    The skoda is very reliable and low on tax and insurance, and a brilliant MPG. But I understand I'll have to compromise due to the lower budget.

Happy searching. Stay away from dealers as trading in yours and buying twice will eat in to your budget a lot when you take the margin they will need on all 3 cars involved. They are businesses after all.

Think a bit more on whether you can come up with even a smallish budget, you could come up in years significantly from a 20 year old yaris for small money and keep your octavia which it sounds you enjoy. Check out the bangernomics thread here too. Some gems from time to time

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Just my opinion..I'd definitely sell the skoda private and even an old yaris could easily sell private also..if you're thinking of trading both cars ..you definitely wont b getting it's TRUE value and they won't be giving you a cent for your existing yaris.
    I'd ensure skoda was properly valeted..long nct.and at least 3months tax. Serviced and if its diesel its due a timing belt kit..it hasn't the 215km for a belt change but its 6 years old..and belts recommend to change every 5years ..and you should get better money selling private..once you price it REALISTICALLY. And a few k under what main dealer would sell similar car for..
    Then buy your 2 smaller cars with cash.
    Dealers might lead u to believe there giving u a great trade prize but they'll just Up the price of whatever they sell to you..
    Good luck..

Cheers. Timing belt was done a few months ago.

It's going to be a lot of hassle doing this privately with three different buyers and sellers, as ideally need to sell and buy all on the same day.
    But will take on your advice.

If anyone has advice on makes and models to replace the cars with based on the info I've given it'd be much appreciated.

• Advertisement

Ya ..but buddy bubs also has spot on advice..yes you can easily get rid of your 2cars the same day through a dealer and have 2replacements.
    But you'll b screwed badly.
    Sorry but its either some hassle to sell your skoda and buy another while possibly having to do with 1car for a few days versus a lot less money through the dealers..make sure to check around with dealers as to what there currently selling similar cars for and price yours 2k lower ..I'm no expert but your value of 10 to 11k sounds very low..
    I'm probably wrong but check dealer selling prices..

Ya ..but buddy bubs also has spot on advice..yes you can easily get rid of your 2cars the same day through a dealer and have 2replacements.
    Sorry but its either some hassle to sell your skoda and buy another while possibly having to do with 1car for a few days versus a lot less money through the dealers..make sure to check around with dealers as to what there currently selling similar cars for and price yours 2k lower ..I'm no expert but your value of 10 to 11k sounds very low..

Turbohymac wrote: »

What's the best car buying and selling website? Carzone?

Cheers. Timing belt was done a few months ago.

It's going to be a lot of hassle doing this privately with three different buyers and sellers, as ideally need to sell and buy all on the same day.
    But will take on your advice.

If anyone has advice on makes and models to replace the cars with based on the info I've given it'd be much appreciated.

Looking for such convenience as that while money is tight as you said, will end up in you getting fleeced. The cars you drive away in won't be the combined worth of your octavia. Might seem ok now getting 2 cars but great chance when time comes to move them on you'll realise the value lost.

You've already said you don't do big distance so unless completely rural, taxis buses and trains could tide you over for a week or so.

Have a think about it, and also the bangernomics route. But I also accept sometimes needs have to be met and we don't have your full financial picture. Just don't be in a rush if both cars are running at the moment.

I can be heart over head at times myself

• Advertisement

What's the best car buying and selling website? Carzone?

Donedeal, by a mile

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭ratracer

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    Donedeal, by a mile

Get a burner phone though, so you can turn it off!

Ya ..100% agree with buddy bubs..
    Op.. do lots of homework before putting car up for sale and if I were you I'd probably go nearer to 12k asking
    But you'll also need 500 wiggle room.
    Say u ask 12 and stick to 12..after a viewing etc genuine people will still haggle .so be happy to accept 11500
    I'd also have as many good clear pictures as possible and I always advertise as miles compared to km.
    Looks better.. 95km sounds high.. 60k miles better but ensure to write miles
    Then you're being honest and not seen as being sneaky..also as previously mentioned there should be no money to be spent for a few months after a buyer purchases.. serviced.good tyres nct etc.
    Good luck ..
    Mind scammers.. no answering to what's your lowest etc before they even view car.. and ensure you have payment cleared or cash before handing over ..
    You won't sell in a day..usually up to 6 weeks..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

Is there something wrong with the Yaris that it needs to be replaced immediately?

Is there any possibility of keeping it going for a few months to let you save up for a replacement and keeping the Skoda?

As others have said, a dealer can do what you're looking for, but you won't get the best bang for your money.

And doing it privately could be messy from a logistics point of view, you could be without a car for a while in between selling and buying.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Keep the Skoda, both use it when needs be and keep Yaris for the short bits ..

What you have is going to be much better then what you plan on doing.

Advertisement