Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love, Death + Robots - Netflix - (**Spoilers**)

• 14-02-2019 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,184 ✭✭✭✭

Presented by Tim Miller & David Fincher.
    Sentient dairy products, werewolf soldiers, robots gone wild, garbage monsters, cyborg bounty hunters, alien spiders and blood-thirsty demons from hell - all converge in eighteen NSFW animated stories.

NSFW Trailer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,978 ✭✭✭Unearthly

About halfway through it. Like most anthologies, some hits and some misses.

My favourites so far would be the witness and 3 robots

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

just finished it
    some great stories and animation with some of them that could be turned into full length films such as Suits, Good Hunting, Shape-Shifters and The Secret War

• Registered Users Posts: 7,978 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Sima Blue was excellent

I want more of these stories

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I really enjoyed those. Soundtrack was pretty good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Some are good Good Hunting, Suits, The Witness & I really enjoyed When the Yogurts took over even if it's short.
    Others Fish Night, Lucky 13 & Blindspot were ones you would cut if you'd have to.
    Have the last 3 left to watch later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Haven't had a chance to watch any of them yet (its on my list!), but stumbled upon this article, which is quite interesting about different episode orders for different people...

https://tvline.com/2019/03/20/netflix-changes-episode-orders-not-based-on-sexuality/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The episode with the fridge was very good.
    Bar a couple of episodes,it was great stuff.
    I won't go any deeper in case of spoilers. Many episodes had a great twist in them too.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Watched all of this in two sittings, really incredible anthology.

I genuinely liked them all to varying degrees..... bar that stupid one about Hitler, I had to skip that one as I found it painfully unfunny and grating. How that made the grade I cannot understand.

Favorites would be Shape-shifters, Ice Age, Lucky 13, Beyond the Aquila Rift, Suits and Three Robots.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I would gladly watch another 2 or 3 seasons worth of these some truely stunning ones in there

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Some really well executed cosmic horror and sci fi, and some gorgeous animation and CGI.

Some felt a bit puerile, and falling into the trap of only being able to understand the concept of strong female characters in the context of sexual violence, but even then they still usually had something to recommend them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭corkie

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Just finished watching them all. There aren"t very many new ideas in the anthology, though Zima Blue was quite clever, and Helping Hand was petty good, if you enjoyed Gravity. All in all, not bad, though most were pretty impressive visually. I'd say they would mostly appeal to those that like Graphic novels.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,184 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Volume 2 trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

May 14th, excellent! Loved the first series.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Have watched the first 3
    there seems to be a film homage to them so far

1. Wall-E
    2. Dune
    3. Blade Runner

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭brianregan09

So annoyed there's only 8 episodes in season 2 compared to 18 in the 1st run :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,765 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I recently went through the 18 episodes of vol 1 again in anticipation of this. I forgot just how good they were, all of them, in their own right. Funny, visually stunning, varied, visceral.

Just finished episode 4 of vol 2 and jesus, I'm depressed! First one, fair enough it was alright, but only alright, second one was pointless, third one was depressing and the 4th, while being the best so far, is also somewhat depressing. Where's the fun and humour from the first volume gone? I'll finish it off shortly I'd say, but I don't have high hopes for the second 4.

Edit: Episode 5, not too bad at all. Didn't end like I thought it would. But episode 6, All Through The House, now that's more like it. Excellent!

Edit edit: And a dull ending. 7 was visually amazing, but didn't really do much. 8 was weird, somewhat interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

The animation in the Tall grass was is amazing, I've never seen anything like it before! The main carachter reminded me of this painting of yeats- https://cdn2.oceansbridge.com/2017/09/08211550/William-Butler-Yeats-John-Butler-Yeats-oil-painting.jpg

Did anyone else think the plot of 2 of them was generally the same? Don't want to say too much for those who have watched yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,727 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

PieOhMy wrote: »
    The animation in the Tall grass was is amazing, I've never seen anything like it before! The main carachter reminded me of this painting of yeats- https://cdn2.oceansbridge.com/2017/09/08211550/William-Butler-Yeats-John-Butler-Yeats-oil-painting.jpg

Did anyone else think the plot of 2 of them was generally the same? Don't want to say too much for those who have watched yet.

Tall Grass animation made me think of Into the Spider Verse or even Telltales games.

All Through the House was an interesting take.

Think they could've done with more visual styles. Half of them were realistic looking and I admit they looked amazing.

But enjoyed season 2 overall. I do agree it was mostly very serious and dark.
    One thing though:
    Apart from Pop Squad, they all had "happy" endings and everything seems pretty much wrapped up by the end. There were a few episodes where I expected a twist ending. I know it's a strange complaint as I usually like things wrapped up in tv shows.

I was thinking when season 3 could be due, then realised I'm sure there are loads of animated shorts available online and it's just a matter of finding the better ones. Of course, I know a lot of them are also very artsy where I have no idea what's going on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭corkie

CastorTroy wrote: »

I was thinking when season 3 could be due, then realised I'm sure there are loads of animated shorts available online and it's just a matter of finding the better ones. Of course, I know a lot of them are also very artsy where I have no idea what's going on. :)

I have watched some good shorts on the 'Dust' youtube channel.
    or www.watchdust.tv

There was another similar channel that i forgot the name of.

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭Glebee

Season 2- all very beautiful looking but very hit and miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Homelander

Season 2 was very hit and miss, but Season 3 is much more solid and comparable to the original season. There wasn't a bad episode in it at all and quite a few really good ones. Jibaro was my personal favorite, really well made and incredible animation.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,727 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I think one big problem with season 2 was how alike a lot of the episodes looked. Season 3 went back to have more unique art styles per episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Very Pulse of the Machine is the best episode of the show to date imho. Incredible, I can't get it out of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭KilOit

Mind blown by season 3, left in a confused state of mind watching them back to back, night of the mini dead should have been last to leave me in a somewhat good mood 😀

Advertisement