Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards in 1939

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

saabsaab wrote: »
    Tosh. Next thing you'll be saying that we'll be going into space!

Going by the Flash Gordon serials at the cinema you wouldn't want to be going there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,457 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I heard they were building one of them double roads out on the Bray road, sure we'll be like America.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Any news on Eoin O'Duffy these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

You get a genuine insight into the aspirations of pre WWII Ireland in the ESB archives:

https://esbarchives.ie/shannon-scheme-pamphlets/

pg-ss-pr-4_f.jpg

f_re-ph-36-1.jpg

Well boys what's the plan for the summer? I've two weeks booked in Warsaw starting the last week of August. Can't wait, gonna be some session.

It will be very memorable, but for all the wrong reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭saabsaab

You get a genuine insight into the aspirations of pre WWII Ireland in the ESB archives:

https://esbarchives.ie/shannon-scheme-pamphlets/

pg-ss-pr-4_f.jpg

f_re-ph-36-1.jpg

Sure what would women do with all that spare time? Anyway it probably won't get far outside cities and towns as it would be too expensive to provide it to the countryside.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,362 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Going by the Flash Gordon serials at the cinema you wouldn't want to be going there

Ya but the chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one they say

I'l be safe at home

• Registered Users Posts: 27,881 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I predict by the end of the century, everyone will be using Esperanto as a second language for global communication.
    "La vojo de la estonteco."

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I predict by the end of the century, everyone will be using Esperanto as a second language for global communication.
    "La vojo de la estonteco."

Gaelic will be spoken throughout Ireland as the first language anyway.

• Advertisement

Gaelic will be spoken throughout Ireland as the first language anyway.

I think it might be in certain parts of the country

Occasions of sin!

That's nothing compared to pictures in catalogues!

branie2 wrote: »
    I think it might be in certain parts of the country

Absolutely. It will spread from the Capital outwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

We be paying a shilling a pint before the year is over. I'll give it up if it crosses that.

branie2 wrote: »
    That's nothing compared to pictures in catalogues!

Greed lust and envy!

User ashjwilliams banned for life for taking the lords name in vein , bishop has been informed

f_re-ph-36-1.jpg

Note the Schuko plug, no English electricity here!

I hear that Dun Laoghaire is getting the automatic phone, shocking that the northsiders had it first.

I hear that Dun Laoghaire is getting the automatic phone, shocking that the northsiders had it first.

It will always be Kingstown to me.
    At least most people could spell that.
    If they could spell.

• Advertisement

Conspiracy theory:

I’m starting to think the farm the esb took from me for a shilling in blessington has nothing to do with electricity and is in fact to supply the bleedin dubs with water

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

women-style-1940-ladies-vintage-watches-clothes.jpg

Women wearing next to nothing and embarrassing Fr O’Neill.. BRAZEN !

• Registered Users Posts: 23,447 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

<snip>. State of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

Is there a pup payment for the next world war?

Cerveza wrote: »
    Is there a pup payment for the next world war?

Payments! What madness, we already spent nearly one and a quarter million pounds on unemployment in 1939!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

Note the Schuko plug, no English electricity here!

To be fair, I doubt that was a snub to the English. They didn’t have a standard to adopt.
    At that time there was no UK standard plug. They’d umpteen different round pin plugs of various sizes and other designs that were all mutually incompatible and also had different voltages in different regions of the UK 200 - 250V AC some DC, only standardising completely in the case 1970s about 50 years after the ESB.

All these things were just products of private companies.

If anything, Ireland was more internationally focused and just adopted things that made most sense at the time - in that case we landed on 220V 50Hz and Schuko which would become the modern European standard after WWII. Adopting the weird British plugs later could yet be problematic post Brexit if you can’t get a CE approved mobile charger or WiFi plug that fits an Irish wall socket.

We weren’t as inward looking on technical things as we might have been on conservative social issues.

Would you doomers ever lay off with the 'hurr duer war with Germany is inevitable' crap? What are the Germans gonna do? Invade France? Ever heard of the Maginot Line?

Good man Francie.

Would you doomers ever lay off with the 'hurr duer war with Germany is inevitable' crap? What are the Germans gonna do? Invade France? Ever heard of the Maginot Line?

You're right miles and miles of concrete bunkers and big guns no one will get through that alive. That and the French army is the biggest and most modern in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,447 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There's a rumour they didn't bother finishing it.

• Advertisement

I wrote a letter to Douglas Hyde to introduce free housing for the unemployed, discuss.

Advertisement