Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did you get your child there first console?

Options
  • 15-05-2021 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

My first and only child (I hope haha) is turning 4 this year.

He sees me playing games on my pc but doesnt seem interested in it. I don't think he understands it to be honest he just does his own thing.
    He always plays with his toys and I've never encouraged him to play on my pc would rather see him being active and playing
    But in saying that gaming is one of the bigger hobbies in my life and I'm sure he's bound to want to start playing games on it as he gets older so I'd like to introduce him to some games for his age. I'd have to Google some but I'm curious maybe I'm starting him to young and should leave it until he shows interest or is abit older.

I was introduced to the ps1 as my first console when I was 4 I didn't know anything about consoles or games on a tv and I immediately loved it and gaming has stuck with me since. So I'm thinking I should start getting him involved with console games (obviously il be setting a time limit on it)

When did you guys get your child there first console? Were they interested in wanting one or was it a gradual interest as they got older.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

My first and only child (I hope haha) is turning 4 this year.

He sees me playing games on my pc but doesnt seem interested in it. I don't think he understands it to be honest he just does his own thing.
    He always plays with his toys and I've never encouraged him to play on my pc would rather see him being active and playing
    But in saying that gaming is one of the bigger hobbies in my life and I'm sure he's bound to want to start playing games on it as he gets older so I'd like to introduce him to some games for his age. I'd have to Google some but I'm curious maybe I'm starting him to young and should leave it until he shows interest or is abit older.

I was introduced to the ps1 as my first console when I was 4 I didn't know anything about consoles or games on a tv and I immediately loved it and gaming has stuck with me since. So I'm thinking I should start getting him involved with console games (obviously il be setting a time limit on it)

When did you guys get your child there first console? Were they interested in wanting one or was it a gradual interest as they got older.

We'll, contrary to what the media would have you believe, it would seem that gaming from a young age has done you no harm, as you've the same parental concerns that any responsible adult would have!

My two (10 and 7) didn't show much aptitude for gaming until lockdown 1.0, but took to Roblox like ducks to water as a way to keep in contact with their cousins and classmates. As for 'real' games, the 10 year old still shows only a casual interest, but the younger one has just recently started putting time into Minecraft, which was actually a point of pride for me to see her figuring out an Xbox controller rather that a tablet touchscreen.

As long as you supervise and have the final word on what content is accessed / hours spent, you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

My son got his Xbox with his first communion money, so age 7. He wanted to play minecraft. As others have said, put limits on useage. However it can lead to rows in the house as all the games are designed to keep you playing as long as possible and it’s hard to stop after one hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Around 4 is a good time. They might not take to it right away but something cute like astro bot is a good start to peak the interest. You will be surprised at how good they get in a few months.

My now 5 year old girl really got into playing when I got the PS5 and she fell for Astrobot.

6 months later and she has her own account and controller, is up at 7 to play.

She played a lot of Astrobot and sackboy but has recently moved onto Horizon zero dawn. Watching her take down her first robot dinosaur with a bow was a proud dad moment. Now she tears through them with such ease it is scary.

She found a new game Nintendo have coming out in a few weeks where you can build your own games with simple programing. We will get that and capitalize on the interest to build her own game. Maybe plant a seed for a career in games.

It is important that they are learning key skills and there is no better medium if managed right.

One thing I'd consider is not getting a switch lite. Get a TV console that is a shared experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

My youngest took over my old xbox 360 when she was about 5-6, we had gotten her an old ps2 to play games like Barnyard and the Simpsons but even at that age she found them too simplistic. She'd have them cleared in no time! She still plays the old 360 here and there at 13, but plays much more on her laptop and ipad. I've never seen any harm in it, I was playing games around the same age, simpler times though, I was a bit deprived when it came to owning consoles so would have to make friends with the guys who did :D

Advertisement