Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plagued by scam calls *DON'T POST PHONE NUMBERS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I never answer my mobile anyway unless I'm expecting a call and know what it's about, even if caller ID kicks in and I know who it's from.

Voice-mail kicks in very quickly hoping people leave voice-mail instead of ringing me again.
    No voice-mail, no call back.
    Doing it for years, wrecks peoples heads but that's the way it is. I'm not subscribing to the whole contactable 24/7 culture. Girlfriend, work colleagues and some close friends know not to call me. Send me a whatsapp or leave ne voice-mail with idea of what it's about and I'll make my own mind up

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭IJS84

Since Friday Im getting calls from the 353 22 numbers. I picked one up, and 1 call only and then rest kept coming, and it was a recording saying my ppsn was involved in a fraud and a warrant is out for my arrest and press 1 to speak to the officer and then it ends.

each time I block the number I get a call from another 353 22 number (Mallow, Co. Cork area code)

The Numbers Ive been called on

35322 641991 (this started on Friday)
    35322 626779 (this is the one I answered yesterday about 9.30am)
    35322 637720
    35322 429116
    35322 468454

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

IJS84 wrote: »
    I picked one up, and 1 call only and then rest kept coming, and it was a recording saying my ppsn was involved in a fraud and a warrant is out for my arrest and press 1 to speak to the officer and then it ends.

This is how they separate those who would never fall for the scam with those who potentially would fall for it.

They make a wildly outrageous statement which most people would just laugh at.

The infamous Nigerian Prince emails were similar. They would have poor grammar and spelling errors which weeded out people who would never be taken in by the scam leaving a more "targeted" audience.

Quite clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭corks finest

Since Friday Im getting calls from the 353 22 numbers. I picked one up, and 1 call only and then rest kept coming, and it was a recording saying my ppsn was involved in a fraud and a warrant is out for my arrest and press 1 to speak to the officer and then it ends.

each time I block the number I get a call from another 353 22 number (Mallow, Co. Cork area code)

35322 637720
    35322 429116
    35322 468454

That would drive me bonkers

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    I never answer my mobile anyway unless I'm expecting a call and know what it's about, even if caller ID kicks in and I know who it's from.

Voice-mail kicks in very quickly hoping people leave voice-mail instead of ringing me again.
    No voice-mail, no call back.
    Doing it for years, wrecks peoples heads but that's the way it is. I'm not subscribing to the whole contactable 24/7 culture. Girlfriend, work colleagues and some close friends know not to call me. Send me a whatsapp or leave ne voice-mail with idea of what it's about and I'll make my own mind up

I have to answer all but private numbers as it could be work, can't for the life of me understand why ppl don't show their number,I never even answer a private call

• Advertisement

35322 637720
    35322 429116
    35322 468454

Is this vis mobile or landline? Mist pol I know who get nuisance calls are normally elderly and nearly always via landline

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭PetitPois89

Darc19 wrote: »
    Incorrect statement.
    She "claims" to have got the number from revolut.

Considering its a SCAM call, why would you believe her claim that the number came from revolut?

I get emails saying my banking 365 is compromised. Maybe they got my email from bank if Ireland? - I've never had a bank of Ireland account.

It's called phishing. 1m+ revolut accounts are in Ireland, so good chance someone that they call has a revolut account and suddenly they think the call is genuine.

That's how these scams work

By coincidence a month before I started getting these phone calls I signed up for a trading account with Revolut to buy shares. She had this info specifically as well as my full name which lead my to believe my data came from Revolut or one of their partnering companies

• Registered Users Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

One of my family got a call from 022 541932 on Friday.
    "Your PPSN number"....and so on.
    Kept ringing until it was blocked and then another call from another 022 number, blocked again.
    10 minutes after last call, another 022 number rings another family member.
    Could have been lucky but not sure how they got same family with 2 different numbers that close to each other?
    Looks like any number nowadays can be easily cloned so 022 might not be calling from Mallow, Cork, just made to look like it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭corkie

Who called you from 017061100 ?

https://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/353017061200

Anyone else on 'Three' getting a call from this number tonight.

Plenty of old posts about that number on the closed forum.

Unknown Dublin number to me so left it ring out.

Edit: - https://www.facebook.com/IpsosMRBI/

"Our in house call centre calls from 01 7061200 and 01 7061100 9am-9pm weekdays. 10am-6pm Saturday and 11am-7pm Sunday.
    Established in 1962, Ipsos MRBI is the most experienced full service research company in Ireland."

And last post there was 11 march looking for staff.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ EU Digital ID ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That, if not being faked, is IPSOS the market research company.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

corkie wrote: »
    Who called you from 017061100 ?

https://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/353017061200

Anyone else on 'Three' getting a call from this number tonight.

Plenty of old posts about that number on the closed forum.

Unknown Dublin number to me so left it ring out.

I just rang it....is a market research company.

When I get these calls I just block them on my handset - does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

I know it is probably racist but since I started answering the unknown phone numbers in an indian accent,,, they seemed to have dwindled dramatically.

Every day was 10 or 20 (US Based) and now barely one a week..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Got the 022 Mallow call on Monday, and answered it to get the "you're in big trouble" robot. Hung up immediately and ever since, I have been absolutely PLAGUED with missed calls that don't actually ring from what looks like Irish mobile numbers. No voicemails left or anything like that, and the call doesn't last long enough to even provoke a sound out of my phone. About 5 different 083, 085 and 087 numbers :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭u2me

More scam caller numbers to add to the list - all to landline - 0032519731771, 0070108880197, 0013846406945 - saw a product called TrueCall blocker for a landline - anyone tried it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Not sure if there is an Irish version of this, or this version works in Ireland but it has also been a god send..

https://www.robokiller.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I wouldn't be surprised if the Facebook data leak is facilitating some of these scams.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Glaceon wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Facebook data leak is facilitating some of these scams.

Plus the Fastway one - names and numbers in both.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭u2me

Seems to be a few for mobiles but limited landline ones available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

I installed Hiya and it seems to screen most of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

2 missed calls and voicemails from two different 083 numbers.

Voicemails are quite official sounding claiming to be from Revenue saying that there's me fraudulent activity associated with my PPS number and there's a warrant out for my arrest due to suspicion of money laundering, it then asked me to press 1 for further information.

Quick Google shows that its a scam going around at the moment and if you press 1 you can be charged rediculous amounts for the call.

• Advertisement

You can’t be charged on inbound calls.

The pressing 1 is likely to detect if you’re a human and add you to a database as a real person.

If you interact either these calls you’ll be plagued.

The main thing to do is just instantly hang up or, if you’re sure it’s a spam call, don’t answer at all. That way you’ll be seen as a waste of effort to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

You can’t be charged on inbound calls.

The pressing 1 is likely to detect if you’re a human and add you to a database as a real person.

If you interact either these calls you’ll be plagued.

The main thing to do is just instantly hang up or, if you’re sure it’s a spam call, don’t answer at all. That way you’ll be seen as a waste of effort to call.

I answered this one and hung up straight away and I was absolutely PLAGUED afterwards.

Subsequently, my husband is the target this week. About 10 missed calls a day from Limerick and 085 numbers as well as scam texts claiming to be from AIB and PPP

If you can record the “special information tone” into your voicemail it actually seems to trick some autodialler software into thinking the number is invalid.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:RO%27_SIT.ogg

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I answered this one and hung up straight away and I was absolutely PLAGUED afterwards.

I haven't answered any of them other than to listen to the voicemails (haven't pressed 1) but I've had 6 missed calls from them since yesterday afternoon, always a different 083 number.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

If you can record the “special information tone” into your voicemail it actually seems to trick some autodialler software into thinking the number is invalid.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:RO%27_SIT.ogg

Will this not affect genuine callers who wish to leave a message.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mcelroa3

Hi all,

I got a call from +353 83 3665098 earlier. It was an automated voice saying it was the dept of social protection and they had found suspicious activity on my pps number and they are taking me to court for drug smuggling or some other nonsense.

I know sometimes the phone number is cloned so it may not have actually come from the Irish mobile number but I was wondering if I can do anything seeing it came from an Irish mobile num starting with 083?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Mcelroa3 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I got a call from +353 83 3665098 earlier. It was an automated voice saying it was the dept of social protection and they had found suspicious activity on my pps number and they are taking me to court for drug smuggling or some other nonsense.

I know sometimes the phone number is cloned so it may not have actually come from the Irish mobile number but I was wondering if I can do anything seeing it came from an Irish mobile num starting with 083?

It may not be an Irish number. You can report to ComReg, but in my previous experience, if it is a call that originated from outside the country, they can not investigate it.

When I received that advice, I asked if they had any plans to address this international criminal aspect at any of the international conferences they might be involved in - no response received.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

3 threads under yours: Scam calls

I answered one of them, pressed 1 when prompted, then got put through to a guy with a foreign accent. I watch scambaiting videos all the time so I am already very familiar with his script. I told him my name was Mary Doil, I spelled Doil for him just that way, I told him I didn't know my Eircode but I live in Farmtown, Co. Cavan. He accepted all this information as genuine, then proceeded to tell me that my social security number was bring used in Dublin for bad things. I asked "What bad things?" He replied money laundering and drug trafficking. I said I know that, that was me. I did that. He went quiet for a moment then back to the script, telling me they would need to cancel my social security number. I said OK. Go ahead. He hung up.

And I haven't had a call since. A nice four minutes of my time, and theirs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I answered one of them, pressed 1 when prompted, then got put through to a guy with a foreign accent. I watch scambaiting videos all the time so I am already very familiar with his script. I told him my name was Mary Doil, I spelled Doil for him just that way, I told him I didn't know my Eircode but I live in Farmtown, Co. Cavan. He accepted all this information as genuine, then proceeded to tell me that my social security number was bring used in Dublin for bad things. I asked "What bad things?" He replied money laundering and drug trafficking. I said I know that, that was me. I did that. He went quiet for a moment then back to the script, telling me they would need to cancel my social security number. I said OK. Go ahead. He hung up.

And I haven't had a call since. A nice four minutes of my time, and theirs.

I've strung a few of them along through the years and wasted their time. I never get any calls now,

Advertisement