Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Between jobs, Is this legal?

Options
  • 14-05-2021 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi there,
    • I am in a job that has 3 months of notice period :eek:
    • I got another job offer to start in a bit over 2 months :pac:

Can I use my holidays to cover those days until the 3 months? :rolleyes:

It will mean that I will be working for 2 companies, but on holidays in the old one until I finish there. :confused:

Thank you all in advance,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

You can attempt to use you accrued annual leave but your current employer is not obligated to accept the request and can make you work out your notice. Your contract for your current job would have specified your notice period and you should have informed your new employer of this when accepting their offer.

Either company will not like you working for the other, especially if there's domain-specific knowledge you'll have and you will almost certainly be in breach of both employment contracts you will have signed.

Please read your contracts before you sign them!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes, provided the old job will give you leave. They don't need to know why you want leave then.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ito

You can attempt to use you accrued annual leave but your current employer is not obligated to accept the request and can make you work out your notice. Your contract for your current job would have specified your notice period and you should have informed your new employer of this when accepting their offer.

Either company will not like you working for the other, especially if there's domain-specific knowledge you'll have and you will almost certainly be in breach of both employment contracts you will have signed.

Please read your contracts before you sign them!
    Yes, provided the old job will give you leave. They don't need to know why you want leave then.

Thank you both,

In the new place, they are aware of the 3 months and the juggling that I will try to do with my current employer.

In my current place, I will just say that I am leaving and I will decide after what I want to do, it is true that they don't need to know what I am doing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

Just to be clear, there is nothing illegal about not working your notice. It is just an agreement between you and your employer. Have you approached them about reducing the notice? Unless you are critical, most would be happy to oblige.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

OP - won’t they find out when your new company rings to get a reference? You might as well come clean - after the reference!! Holidays are usually paid so you’ll run into complications with your tax situation and PAYE - not to mention being taxed up the wazoo on your double months ‘work’ . Try and end it within the 2 months and take and leave or get paid for the holidays if you can BEFORE you officially leave - your P45 will be clear & easy then and you win’t gave messy tax credits to try and sort out at the end of the tax year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ito

Just to be clear, there is nothing illegal about not working your notice. It is just an agreement between you and your employer. Have you approached them about reducing the notice? Unless you are critical, most would be happy to oblige.
    That's the whole point, I want everything legal.
    OP - won’t they find out when your new company rings to get a reference? You might as well come clean - after the reference!! Holidays are usually paid so you’ll run into complications with your tax situation and PAYE - not to mention being taxed up the wazoo on your double months ‘work’ . Try and end it within the 2 months and take and leave or get paid for the holidays if you can BEFORE you officially leave - your P45 will be clear & easy then and you win’t gave messy tax credits to try and sort out at the end of the tax year.
    I can't do that because I need to be employed in the "old" company for 2 years, otherwise I have to pay for a course I did with them. I am already paying the max, so it can't be worse than that, just that for 4 weeks I will get paid from 2 companies and I will pay taxes from both of them.

Advertisement