Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Badly fitted pipe above stove

Options
  • 14-05-2021 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Will do my best to explain this clearly.
    Had my chimney swept and wanted the guy doing it to pack some fire cement around the pipe leading from the stove to the chimney. He said he couldn't do it as the pipe is fitted incorrectly and it could leave him liable if something went wrong.
    Basically there is a gap where soot can fall from the chimney onto the top of the stove. The cement that was there when we bought the house has gradually fallen out the last couple of years and soot keeps falling down.
    He said his solution would be to take all the piping out and refit it properly, or if I wanted to I could pack it with rockwool and fire cement myself.
    I've had a lot of annoying once off large expenses lately and would favour the cheaper option if it was safe.
    Anyone here have any experience of a situation like this?
    My concern is if I seal it up with cement, could a build up of soot inside it cause a problem down the line ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭jimf

soot build up can block the stove and cause poor combustion

carbon monoxide poisoning is the danger we all hear and read about

1 poster on here knows better than most as he lost his sister to it

without seeing your set up the only advise i can give you is get it done safely and properly

and if you dont have 1 a co alarm is a must have

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

MrBumBum wrote: »
    Will do my best to explain this clearly.
    Had my chimney swept and wanted the guy doing it to pack some fire cement around the pipe leading from the stove to the chimney. He said he couldn't do it as the pipe is fitted incorrectly and it could leave him liable if something went wrong.
    Basically there is a gap where soot can fall from the chimney onto the top of the stove. The cement that was there when we bought the house has gradually fallen out the last couple of years and soot keeps falling down.
    He said his solution would be to take all the piping out and refit it properly, or if I wanted to I could pack it with rockwool and fire cement myself.
    I've had a lot of annoying once off large expenses lately and would favour the cheaper option if it was safe.
    Anyone here have any experience of a situation like this?
    My concern is if I seal it up with cement, could a build up of soot inside it cause a problem down the line ?

His concern is possibly that by filling that gap, soot could, over time, build up in the space immediately above and this soot buildup could be a fire hazard. How big of an issue this actually would be is not clear from your photo.

If it was me I wouldn’t fill it, I would invest in a couple of CO alarms, and plan to get the thing reflued properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 MrBumBum

Lenar3556 wrote: »
    His concern is possibly that by filling that gap, soot could, over time, build up in the space immediately above and this soot buildup could be a fire hazard. How big of an issue this actually would be is not clear from your photo.

If it was me I wouldn’t fill it, I would invest in a couple of CO alarms, and plan to get the thing reflued properly.
    Yeah that's what I think the potential problem might be.
    I can obviously fill in around the pipe to stop the soot falling down, but am concerned that if soot was to build up above the cement I put in could it possibly be a fire hazard in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I would get a properly fitted liner myself connected to it. I think anything else at this stage is a bodge.

Advertisement