Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tallaght Rugby Club forever home campaign

• 13-05-2021 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭

Over the last number of months Tallaght RFC has been at the receiving end of several anti social behaviour incidents which has led to their club property and council provided pitches being damaged. Most recently upon welcoming back Senior teams to training, they discovered their pitch in Tymon Park was callously destroyed by vandals. The posts were knocked down, a car burned out, the pitch scorched rendering it unusable. They have no idea when they will get to use this pitch again. Having no control over our ground is not feasible long-term.

They have a go fund me and are attempting to raise 30'000 and have over 7000 raised so far.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/tallaght-rfc-forever-home-campaign?utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet&utm_medium=copy_link_all&utm_source=customer

Played Tallaght when they were on a tour to Limerick and Tipp around 2007/2008 but little experience of them beyond that bar seeing on social media what theyve done

A ground of their own would be huge for them and assist them in growing the club a lot in an area where there is huge potential for growth for the sport

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

They had bought land in Kiltipper a few years ago. I was surprised to see they were back in the pitches in Tymon. Those pitches have been vandalized so many times at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

stephen_n wrote: »
    They had bought land in Kiltipper a few years ago. I was surprised to see they were back in the pitches in Tymon. Those pitches have been vandalized so many times at this stage.

Yeah I remember that, what happened to that?
    I threw a few quid on, they’re a good club and need help.
    They have a pitch in firhouse too, the two pitches are miles from each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

Thanks for raising this fund. Have supported it. Great cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,981 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Tallaght has near enough the population of Limerick. Really would be great if TRC could get established somewhere long term and start bringing a whole new audience and playing pool to the game. Don't the IRFU own land up near the Belgard Road somewhere?

I wonder if that's the real Gordan D'Arcy who just contributed Eur500? Fair play, if so.

• Advertisement

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Tallaght has near enough the population of Limerick. Really would be great if TRC could get established somewhere long term and start bringing a whole new audience and playing pool to the game. Don't the IRFU own land up near the Belgard Road somewhere?
    Think that land was sold years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

They did have big land bank up around newlands cross but they sold it few years back for 27 million
    Tallaght has huge potential. Its so big they could have several clubs out there and still wouldnt put a dent into other sports

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I wonder if that's the real Gordan D'Arcy who just contributed Eur500? Fair play, if so.

I saw a tweet from him earlier raising awareness so I imagine it is him.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

stephen_n wrote: »
    They had bought land in Kiltipper a few years ago. I was surprised to see they were back in the pitches in Tymon. .

Was never the clubs land. There was a plan but the owners of the land decided to do something else with it (might have been looking to get it zoned for housing, not 100%)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

salmocab wrote: »
    Think that land was sold years ago.

Yeah 2018. Whole thing going for housing. It's a huge site if you look at it on Google maps (all the land behind the fire station) . The irfu should really have offered to parcel off a section and done some sort of long term lease /sale with the club.

• Advertisement

Was never the clubs land. There was a plan but the owners of the land decided to do something else woth it (might have been looking to get it zoned for housing, not 100%)

There’s a nice new big park up there and a big soccer ground, think it’s Tallaght town fc. Not sure where that but of land was but it was up that end.
    Good luck to them anyway they seem to be doing a good job growing and it would be difficult without facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,599 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It was one of the fastest growing clubs in the country for a long time right?

I am going to throw them a few quid. I've a mate who plays for them, I met him years ago when we were kids. I don't think he was a rugby fan as a child but he absolutely loves his club.

errlloyd wrote: »
    It was one of the fastest growing clubs in the country for a long time right?

I am going to throw them a few quid. I've a mate who plays for them, I met him years ago when we were kids. I don't think he was a rugby fan as a child but he absolutely loves his club.

I dont think they are/were one of fastest growing clubs. It was more that Tallaght was one of the fastest growing areas in the country. No?
    They would be fielding lot more teams at age grade, minis if they were one of fastest growing in country.

I dont think they are/were one of fastest growing clubs. It was more that Tallaght was one of the fastest growing areas in the country. No?
    They would be fielding lot more teams at age grade, minis if they were one of fastest growing in country.

It probably depends on the metric used if you double your player numbers from 30 to 60 in a year it’s 100% increase whereas if you get 30 nee players to a club with 300 players it’s only 10%.

salmocab wrote: »
    It probably depends on the metric used if you double your player numbers from 30 to 60 in a year it’s 100% increase whereas if you get 30 nee players to a club with 300 players it’s only 10%.

Yeah, it was exactly this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

One of my experiences reffing Tallaght was pretty funny.
    I had spent the week watching a pile of Brian Moore video's and reading blogs detailing the most popular ways a tight head and a loose head cheat at a scrum.
    When I was doing the front row talk with the lads, I was listing them all: I don't want you pulling down on your opponents arm, I don't want you diping your head and the putting it under your opponent chest, blah blah blah blah and then one of them just replied, "Thanks ref, I only knew about half of them".

Touching 20k now

Unfortunately Tallaghts pitch damaged again. 2 cars across the pitch then burnt out

the club needs to get something anywhere with better security etc. so difficult but if IRFU could do anything it would be huge...

https://twitter.com/TallaghtRFC/status/1579064384147836928/photo/3

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I wonder if renting from a school might be a better option than using a public park. Most schools have a fenced property.

Using a pitch in Tymon imo is not a good idea as there is a bunch of entrances that allow cars to enter.

To be honest Tallaght needs a permanent home in order to grow. Tallaght is a large area and if it doesn't have a home it won't attract minis and youths (as the club could have to move in a subsequent year and moving across Tallaght can be significant distance).

Think theyve used a schools grounds in past for training etc but couldnt tell you if that was near full pitch size etc...

Tymon isnt ideal but so hard to find grass spaces to get a pitch. Its same with Liberty Saints who use a tiny space of land in a school on James Walk but cant really play matches there.

• Advertisement

Happened to Seapoint over the weekend too, both in large public parks which is a pain as neither club can do much beyond pushing the council to close out openings etc.

I presume this happens to soccer and GAA clubs all the time as they tend in Dublin anyway to use lots of council pitches.

someone mentioned the liberty saints, they will always struggle for space based purely on where they are, Tallaght though has huge tracts of green land. I see on social media the local FF TD John lahart suggesting that they are already looking at getting them something but he is a politician so I’d take that with a pinch of salt. Unfortunately there is no school up that direction that has a rugby pitch, I believe the emerald warriors are using high school which is great to see, clubs like this need proper bases. Smaller and newer clubs are always going to struggle especially in Dublin for pitches and facilities.

Did it. Yeah fair enough. I would assume it does happen to others of course as lot more soccer clubs dont have their own grounds and use council pitches and its bit of endless circle. they cant get access to sports capital grants without their own land and cant get land in dublin....

Yeah it was me who mentioned liberty saints. even any area with bit more grass space they could use would be better than what they use now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

They were using the showers and changing room in the school. Not sure they used the pitch.

Liberty Saints is just a minis program right now I think. Probably related to the pitch issues unfortunately.

Yeah but in the slightly longer term they are unlikely to find a better home, any club setting up in that area of the city in any sport is going to struggle for somewhere to live.

Well yes and no. There is a lot of political pressure regarding the zoning of the recreational land beside St Catherines. At one point enough land was going to be rezoned for an artificial multi-sport pitch big enough for GAA, Rugby and Soccer. I don't know where that is exactly, but it was at least a usable pitch.

Advertisement