Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying a 4 bed semi for under €500k in Wicklow - where do you think?

• 13-05-2021 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

We bought a 3 bed semi-d in south dublin about 5 years ago, and we are now thinking about moving further out to Wicklow as our family has grown.

Obviously Greystones is very attractive but we can't afford the size of house that we would like if we were to move there. My wife works in south end of Bray and I work in Stillorgan - I have to be on site 2/3 days a week. I'm from Galway so I do like to be a small bit more rural and the density of housing in Stepaside is just gone off the charts. She's from Dublin.

I'm looking to be able to raise our child in an area that could have access to decent schools, good and friendly community - GAA club. My wife would more be looking for access to nice walks, coffee shops and restaurants. Doesn't matter if we have to drive to a restaurant just don't want to be miles from a town. We both really like being active.

We were thinking places like Kilcoole, Bray, Delgany, Newtown Mount Kennedy seem to be more in our budget. Ideally we would like a 4 bed new/recent build for around €470k. We would love to be by the sea, but probably unlikely we could afford it without going too far South.

I would appreciate any help on answering some of these questions we have, as we would like to settle somewhere and have our forever home.
    • Does anyone have any experiences of these towns and villages, or are their other places you think we should check out?
    • Any advice here on what it is like to move from the suburbs to a smaller town/village, as during lockdown sometimes you can become a bit more negative about your area.
    • I've heard some of these places mentioned like Kilcoole/NMK can be rough around the edges - is that really true?
    • Is this part of Wicklow - Greystones/Delgany/Kilcoole headed towards high density housing and reduced facilities? Our next move we hope will be our forever home
    • What is it like to raise a young family in these areas?

Thanks a lot for reading, and please move this topic to whatever forum you feel is the correct one. Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would rule out Newtown tbh .
    Delgany or Greystones would be my first choices but can be super expensive.
    Is public transport important?
    Do you want to be in a housing estate or house on it's own?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Chiliconkeni

Thanks for your reply.

Why would you rule out Newton Mt Kennedy ?

Public transport not that important in terms of our jobs. We have been beside the luas for the last five years and neither used it for work commuting. That said could be different when we move out - but I imagine we would both drive - she will be WFH a lot too.

I grew up in a small housing estate and so did she, so I think we would like that rather than a house on it's own that's miles from the local village.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Rough around the edges is not the same as rough, really Good GAA clubs in the areas you mentioned. All the areas you mention are very family-friendly.

The big issue, all of the areas you mentioned are going to have huge developments in the next few years, you are not going to be moving to some idyllic little village.

500k is a good budget.

mariaalice wrote: »
    Rough around the edges is not the same as rough, really Good GAA clubs in the areas you mentioned. All the areas you mention are very family-friendly.

The big issue, all of the areas you mentioned are going to have huge developments in the next few years, you are not going to be moving to some idyllic little village.

500k is a good budget.

Thanks for the reply. I suppose I’m wondering about anti social behaviour ruining a town/community that you won’t necessarily read about but you’re right. If it’s around the edges it isn’t so bad. Great to hear that they’ve good GAA clubs there.

I’m not looking for an idyllic little village just don’t want another 8 story SHD build to rent apartments popping up all around me. I don’t mind any amount of houses really. It’s the tall buildings and transient community it brings with people not as invested in the area.

Thanks a million for your insight, I really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 batyushki

We've lived near Newtown 3 years and now for 6 years in Kilcoole, four children in a housing estate. Prices are a little higher in Kilcoole but for us it has several advantages, there is a secondary school, several countryside walks and beach walks immediately from the town, and choice of train or bus. Both towns are fine and have a good community with the vast majority of people being from elsewhere and therefore open to new friendships. There is some antisocial activity as in any place but manageable. Lots of sport and many clubs in both places. A few cafés but a lot more of that available in Greystones which is 10 mins away. Plenty of new houses in Newtown but some newer estates in Kilcoole as well. For us walking to the beach has been priceless during pandemic so I recommend Kilcoole for that reason, and because the kids can walk to both schools in only a few minutes.

• Advertisement

And your budget is more than adequate at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭MaccaTacca

Hi everyone,

We bought a 3 bed semi-d in south dublin about 5 years ago, and we are now thinking about moving further out to Wicklow as our family has grown.

Obviously Greystones is very attractive but we can't afford the size of house that we would like if we were to move there. My wife works in south end of Bray and I work in Stillorgan - I have to be on site 2/3 days a week. I'm from Galway so I do like to be a small bit more rural and the density of housing in Stepaside is just gone off the charts. She's from Dublin.

I'm looking to be able to raise our child in an area that could have access to decent schools, good and friendly community - GAA club. My wife would more be looking for access to nice walks, coffee shops and restaurants. Doesn't matter if we have to drive to a restaurant just don't want to be miles from a town. We both really like being active.

We were thinking places like Kilcoole, Bray, Delgany, Newtown Mount Kennedy seem to be more in our budget. Ideally we would like a 4 bed new/recent build for around €470k. We would love to be by the sea, but probably unlikely we could afford it without going too far South.

I would appreciate any help on answering some of these questions we have, as we would like to settle somewhere and have our forever home.
    • Does anyone have any experiences of these towns and villages, or are their other places you think we should check out?
    • Any advice here on what it is like to move from the suburbs to a smaller town/village, as during lockdown sometimes you can become a bit more negative about your area.
    • I've heard some of these places mentioned like Kilcoole/NMK can be rough around the edges - is that really true?
    • Is this part of Wicklow - Greystones/Delgany/Kilcoole headed towards high density housing and reduced facilities? Our next move we hope will be our forever home
    • What is it like to raise a young family in these areas?

Thanks a lot for reading, and please move this topic to whatever forum you feel is the correct one. Thanks a lot.

Bray is probably denser than Stepaside if that's a deal breaker.

batyushki wrote: »
    We've lived near Newtown 3 years and now for 6 years in Kilcoole, four children in a housing estate. Prices are a little higher in Kilcoole but for us it has several advantages, there is a secondary school, several countryside walks and beach walks immediately from the town, and choice of train or bus. Both towns are fine and have a good community with the vast majority of people being from elsewhere and therefore open to new friendships. There is some antisocial activity as in any place but manageable. Lots of sport and many clubs in both places. A few cafés but a lot more of that available in Greystones which is 10 mins away. Plenty of new houses in Newtown but some newer estates in Kilcoole as well. For us walking to the beach has been priceless during pandemic so I recommend Kilcoole for that reason, and because the kids can walk to both schools in only a few minutes.

Thanks a lot. Now that restrictions lifting we will take a drive around Kilcoole and Newtown and get to know the area a bit more.

Is it tricky to get to Greystones - walking or by bike? Also what made you pick Newtown and Kilcoole rather than Greystones or even further down the coast to say Wicklow town?

If you knew any upcoming new build estates around there then please send them on to me.

Thanks again for all your local knowledge.

From Kilcoole to Greystones there is a footpath out of the village until you get to the main dual carriageway and then there is a cycle trail the rest of the way. It takes about 15 minutes to cycle there. You can also walk down Sea Road or Ballydonarea Lane from Kilcoole, and on the beach track to Greystones, which is about an hour and a half walk.

We looked at some houses in Greystones, as well as a few in Charlesland (a large estate that lies between Greystones and Kilcoole). Greystones is very busy especially on a school morning - traffic is a nightmare during drop-off. Houses in Greystones are easily 150K more for the same type of house. The beach can be crowded in summer. We're not big cafe goers and don't like crowds, so there was no attraction.

Charlesland is fine for some folks but we found it too massive and impersonal. That area is one of high and continuing growth, which we were looking to avoid. There are schools coming online nearby now which make it more self contained. There is a large sports complex and a good set of artificial football pitches between Charlesland and Kilcoole where I play 5-a-side, and the swimming pool is on the other side nearer Greystones.

Wicklow town is a lot further out and not terribly near the motorway. It is a bigger town than we like and a bit sprawling. House prices are a little lower there but for us that did not justify the additional distance. The beaches and country walks are better in our opinion near Kilcoole, and we spend a lot of time outdoors, so that was a factor.

There is an estate being built in Newtown called Rockfield. I think they are also expanding Wicklow Hills. In Kilcoole they just finished building Ternlee and there are no new major estates approved for planning that I'm aware of. A few second hand houses going though. Newer estates are Holywell and Woodstock, and there are occasionally a few 4 beds going in one of those. There are renovated houses in Beachdale / Meadowbrook that occasionally come up. Because of the price pressures in Greystones you will find many people coming to Kilcoole and buying an older house to renovate.

There were more houses available in Newtown when we were looking too, but we waited to find something we liked in Kilcoole for the reasons mentioned before.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Thanks for your reply.

Public transport not that important in terms of our jobs. We have been beside the luas for the last five years and neither used it for work commuting. That said could be different when we move out - but I imagine we would both drive - she will be WFH a lot too.

Public transport might be very important if and when your children go to college so I would give it some consideration. The other option is to budget and plan to have them driving before they start 3rd level education or work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Baybay

Wicklow town is a lot further out and not terribly near the motorway. It is a bigger town than we like and a bit sprawling. House prices are a little lower there but for us that did not justify the additional distance. The beaches and country walks are better in our opinion near Kilcoole, and we spend a lot of time outdoors, so that was a factor.

Wicklow town is not a great deal further south on the motorway than Kilcoole, Greystones or Delgany & probably not much further off it either.
    It is a bit spread out, especially where some of the newer houses are being built but there are a good few older, perhaps more central properties on the market also.
    I’m sure normal time facilities in the town have been posted multiple times before, including by me, so this time I’ll refrain from writing a list!
    But I will say beach & Murrough walks plus swimming access have been very popular throughout lockdown as have the skate park facilities & walking circuits along the Port & Hawkstown Roads. Boat watching has passed time for many, both in harbour & along the coast.
    And the history of the town itself is quite an interesting read.

From Kilcoole to Greystones there is a footpath out of the village until you get to the main dual carriageway and then there is a cycle trail the rest of the way. It takes about 15 minutes to cycle there. You can also walk down Sea Road or Ballydonarea Lane from Kilcoole, and on the beach track to Greystones, which is about an hour and a half walk.

We looked at some houses in Greystones, as well as a few in Charlesland (a large estate that lies between Greystones and Kilcoole). Greystones is very busy especially on a school morning - traffic is a nightmare during drop-off. Houses in Greystones are easily 150K more for the same type of house. The beach can be crowded in summer. We're not big cafe goers and don't like crowds, so there was no attraction.

Charlesland is fine for some folks but we found it too massive and impersonal. That area is one of high and continuing growth, which we were looking to avoid. There are schools coming online nearby now which make it more self contained. There is a large sports complex and a good set of artificial football pitches between Charlesland and Kilcoole where I play 5-a-side, and the swimming pool is on the other side nearer Greystones.

There is an estate being built in Newtown called Rockfield. I think they are also expanding Wicklow Hills. In Kilcoole they just finished building Ternlee and there are no new major estates approved for planning that I'm aware of. A few second hand houses going though. Newer estates are Holywell and Woodstock, and there are occasionally a few 4 beds going in one of those. There are renovated houses in Beachdale / Meadowbrook that occasionally come up. Because of the price pressures in Greystones you will find many people coming to Kilcoole and buying an older house to renovate.

There were more houses available in Newtown when we were looking too, but we waited to find something we liked in Kilcoole for the reasons mentioned before.

This is fantastic insight - thanks a million, really appreciate this.
    That's exactly what we are hoping to find out. I think we will adopt a similar strategy regarding waiting for something we like in Kilcoole. I think that we are too late to be getting any sort of good value in Greystones itself. I would be the same regarding crowds, and sure no point having it on your doorstep if it is thronged with people. Tricky to find the balance.

Public transport might be very important if and when your children go to college so I would give it some consideration. The other option is to budget and plan to have them driving before they start 3rd level education or work.

Thanks a lot, that's a very good point that I hadn't considered. Our baby is only three months old, but I should consider how she would get to college or work. Hoping for self driving cars at that stage!

Bray has some great parts but unfortunately haven't seen new builds going for around the 500K mark in a while. The most recent ones were The Friary and were going for over 650 into 700 in some cases. Can still get a house in Bray for approx 500K but would be second hand!

Bray has some great parts but unfortunately haven't seen new builds going for around the 500K mark in a while. The most recent ones were The Friary and were going for over 650 into 700 in some cases. Can still get a house in Bray for approx 500K but would be second hand!

Thanks a lot for info. Yeah im struggling to see any new builds in our price range. That’s why we are looking towards Kilcoole and Wicklow town.

If only we’d bought when prices were lower in the likes of Greystones. Seems to have shot up in recent years. I wonder is it destined to level off in a Wicklow or keep rising. Asking prices vs sold prices another thing. Saw in today’s Irish times a 3 bed in rathfarnham that went for €100k(25%) over its asking price!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

2 big estates just broken ground in tinakilly Rathnew & Ashford....might be worth a look!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

BIG difference between a detached house with a semi decent sized garden somewhere like Wicklow or Arklow and some of the super-congested housing estates with ‘management companies’ and houses beat on top of each other in places that had previously been sleepy
    villages like Delgany.

With little room for kids to play in tiny gardens and roads that are quaint but supercongeated and child bike deathtraps this would certainly be a factor as would a lot if lovely, new but very small sized ‘family’ houses that you will outgrow quickly and maybe find yourself priced out of bigger houses by the time you come to
    moved & want to trade up to somewhere that dosn’t have yelling kids outside in timy gardens & nowhere safe for them to spread their winds to run & play in.

Also IMO there’s a LOT to be said for having the sea on one side & in walking distance - no room
    for more houses or traffic for one. Better quality of life, more headspace, better air, growing up by the sea. What’s not to want there!

Greystones - grossly overpriced & super-congeated. Traffic nightmare.

To be honest OP, you'll probably end up buying somewhere that will work out even better than you had planned. Especially with this increased working from home model etc, you'll probably end up on a nice detached house on a bit of land further down and will probably be great for the lifestyle. Greystones and even parts of Bray are just way too busy these days. You're better being accessible to both than being smack bang in middle of either to be honest but different strokes etc

sandyxxx wrote: »
    2 big estates just broken ground in tinakilly Rathnew & Ashford....might be worth a look!

Thanks a lot, will check them out. Do you know anything about these areas? Both not as far south as Wicklow town so might be easier to access

BIG difference between a detached house with a semi decent sized garden somewhere like Wicklow or Arklow and some of the super-congested housing estates with ‘management companies’ and houses beat on top of each other in places that had previously been sleepy
    villages like Delgany.

With little room for kids to play in tiny gardens and roads that are quaint but supercongeated and child bike deathtraps this would certainly be a factor as would a lot if lovely, new but very small sized ‘family’ houses that you will outgrow quickly and maybe find yourself priced out of bigger houses by the time you come to
    moved & want to trade up to somewhere that dosn’t have yelling kids outside in timy gardens & nowhere safe for them to spread their winds to run & play in.

Also IMO there’s a LOT to be said for having the sea on one side & in walking distance - no room
    for more houses or traffic for one. Better quality of life, more headspace, better air, growing up by the sea. What’s not to want there!

Greystones - grossly overpriced & super-congeated. Traffic nightmare.

Yes, you raise some good points there, thanks a lot.
    The sea being on one side is a great point - that's what has me thinking about moving down. Plus having grown up by the sea, I think you miss it when you are not living beside it.

I don't mind moving further down the coast in order to have the extra space as you have described. Perhaps we won't be able to afford a detached house, but certainly looking at more bang for our buck. It's a tough balance between how far do you go out without becoming isolated from family/friends.

I would really like an area where there is a sense of community and pride in the place as itself. Some places I have viewed in counties bordering Dublin seem to be just a greater Dublin suburb with a lot of transient renters.

• Advertisement

To be honest OP, you'll probably end up buying somewhere that will work out even better than you had planned. Especially with this increased working from home model etc, you'll probably end up on a nice detached house on a bit of land further down and will probably be great for the lifestyle. Greystones and even parts of Bray are just way too busy these days. You're better being accessible to both than being smack bang in middle of either to be honest but different strokes etc

That's exactly it, I would be very happy with what you are saying - accessible to Greystones/Bray but not smack bang in the middle of them. That's why I am thinking likes of Kilcoole or Wicklow town, however my wife isn't too keen being that far away down in Wicklow town.

Are there any other areas you think I should consider? We're going to drive down to Kilcoole today after we get the baby changed/fed/calmed down!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Baybay

Thanks a lot, will check them out. Do you know anything about these areas? Both not as far south as Wicklow town so might be easier to access

Rathnew & Wicklow town are getting closer very year due to building, road improvements etc & in some parts it’s difficult to tell where one ends & the other begins! There’s only a couple of kms between them anyway.

Ashford is a nice village, in it’s past considered a little up market due to the presence of Mount Usher perhaps. About 10km or so from Wicklow town, some new estates in completion or already inhabited just outside the village & are probably considered within walking distance of school, shops, church etc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I wouldn't be a big fan of Rathnew tbh , I would not want to bring kids up there personally .

Baybay wrote: »
    Rathnew & Wicklow town are getting closer very year due to building, road improvements etc & in some parts it’s difficult to tell where one ends & the other begins! There’s only a couple of kms between them anyway.

Ashford is a nice village, in it’s past considered a little up market due to the presence of Mount Usher perhaps. About 10km or so from Wicklow town, some new estates in completion or already inhabited just outside the village & are probably considered within walking distance of school, shops, church etc.

Ashford is and isn't nice. it is nicer then Rathnew but there are not many facilities. The primary school is good but it can be a hard place to raise kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

Yeah,
    Would know them fairly well....Rathnew has a bit of a rep but it’s not bad and can see the Rathnew of the future being very different to that of the past/recent present!....I think the new development’s due to have link roads cycle lanes built so that will change things and probably increase links with Wicklow....

Ashford s’more of a village,would have thought it’d be good for kids I think it’s currently doing well facility wise but probably relies a bit on Wicklow for clubs/retail etc!
    Don’t know how the developments will affect it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 bluesteel86

Drove past Tinakilly today and it looks like the new development will have a road leading into it from the rathnew side and another leading out on the far side near the murrough in Wicklow town. Ashford also has a lot of new houses going up, lovely village but not a massive amount there in terms of amenities. My sister lives there and spends a lot of time coming in and out of Wicklow town. Rathnew had a bit of a reputation around 20 years ago but it has certainly improved over the years. Wicklow town itself is a lovely spot and has a nice sense of community to it. Lots of shops, pubs, restaurants and sports clubs. The town is buzzing now that more and more people are working from home

Thanks a lot for all your help. Drove down to Kilcoole at the weekend and saw some nice estates. I think Ternlee it was called seemed lovely. Also Holywell seemed nice too.
    I wasn't the biggest fan of the Sea Road walk down to the Beach - no footpaths and cars flying past. Probably went on a very busy day though in fairness, car park was full down there and angry guard handing out tickets. People we met seemed very friendly. Once we got across the railway station and on to the beach and a bit away from people it was very nice.

What I thought was really beautiful though was this walk you could do coming from the back of the Railway carpark that seemed to be Ballydonarea Loop I think. It lead up back to Kilcoole village from the Sea using a farm lane/rural footpath. If we had got to the sea via this walk rather than Sea Road I think we would have thought it paradise. The rocky beach and trainline reminded me a bit of Shankill, but you could walk along the sandy track by the railway line which was very nice.

Passed by Glenheron and wasn't overly impressed for the price of them. That being said I think it is about 30 min walk to south beach It seems like Greystones is really stretching wide now.

Will have to plan now trips to Wicklow town and Tinakilly. Thanks for all your advice.

Thanks for people’s help here previously. Having visited few towns that are relatively close to Bray we have thought that we should go further down to Wicklow town for a look instead.

What are people’s thoughts on Wicklow town?
    Are there parts to avoid? Where would you recommend buying a 4 bed? Any nice established estates or are there new build developments that you would recommend?
    What about the local community - is it young/old or local/blow ins?
    Is there much to do in the town or are you always looking towards Dublin?
    Is it a total commuter town or is there a good sense of community in the town? Is Rathnew and Wicklow now becoming one town?

Tldr- if you have anything to contribute about living in Wicklow from your experience I’d love to hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Onthefence

Thanks for people’s help here previously. Having visited few towns that are relatively close to Bray we have thought that we should go further down to Wicklow town for a look instead.

Are there parts to avoid? Where would you recommend buying a 4 bed? Any nice established estates or are there new build developments that you would recommend?
    Is it a total commuter town or is there a good sense of community in the town? Is Rathnew and Wicklow now becoming one town?

Tldr- if you have anything to contribute about living in Wicklow from your experience I’d love to hear it.

Facilities in the town: tennis club, football club, GAA, basketball, hockey, swimming pool, beach swimming, athletics club, numerous dance, drama and music schools, yoga studios, golf club, gyms, coffee shops and some nice restaurants, limited retail but has Aldi (Rathnew) and Lidl, a very poor Tesco and Supervalu, and Sports Direct. A fabulous fruit and veg shop, a decent fishmonger, excellent butchers. Good choice of schools, including a Gaelscoil and Educate Together primary and secondary.
    I'm not local but living here 20 years~. Great community sense but like anywhere, it's what you make of it and how you choose to get involved.
    You'll get more bang for your buck down this way!
    Hope that's helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 bluesteel86

We moved down around 3.5 years ago and we love it. Plenty of amenities such as sports clubs, lovely restaurants & pubs, coffee shops and several supermarkets. Also has some fantastic butchers, fish monger, garden centers, sports shops and fruit/veg shops. It has everything that you would need but clothing/homewares retail is a bit lacking. Not a major complaint though as Carrickmines and Bridgewater are just 20 mins away in either direction.

Its fantastic too if you enjoy the outdoors. You can't beat Wicklow for scenic forest walks, cliffside hikes and its beaches. All of them are right on our doorstep and that was a huge selling point for us.

The people are very friendly and welcoming, great sense of community here. The town has experienced a bit of a boom over the last year like most others which is great, as more people are working from home. Overall we're very happy here, beautiful place to live.

Advertisement