Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

molloyjh wrote: »
    Exactly. I haven't looked in any detail at the squad but I'd say there's a few guys in that bracket. Let's say their total salaried earnings is around 100k. If you have several guys in the squad at that level then its about 30 guys needed to make up the remaining 10.5 million. That's somewhere between 350k and 400k average for those 30. But again, you'd have guys like Cronin, Dooley etc on well below that, further driving the average up for the remaining players.

JJ hanrahan was on 180K and was offered reduced terms to 130k
    He was a pretty regular starter.

I gather if someone gets capped (even 1) they get a bigger deal. Noel Reid was on some crazy salary for what he brought because it was negotiated right after his two caps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Ulster at home, Glasgow away, and then Dragons at home for the final 3 rounds of the rainbow cup

Post season friendlies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭PMC83

Being a pro athlete is a privilege.

They're rewarded with a chance to get paid to play sport

I never subscribed to this idea. The sacrifices are absolutely massive, even just to get a shot. Even if you make it it can all be over in the blink of an eye. These guys should be looked after accordingly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They get paid to do their job, much like the rest of us.

I imagine academy contracts are quite cheap indeed, but once the players are on senior contracts I'd be amazed if any were south of 50K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

molloyjh wrote: »
    40k for a 20/21 year old kid with the potential to massively increase that in a short period is not to be sniffed at. Add in match fees etc as other have pointed out and it's not that crazy at all.

Also worth bearing in mind that paying someone a salary of €40k a year will cost an employer €4K more in PRSI and presumably the employer will also have to cover a hefty insurance premium to cover the cost of injury.

So if we look at JJ's €180K, Munster would have been paying an extra €19,500 a year for PRSI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Podge_irl wrote: »
    They get paid to do their job, much like the rest of us.

This is the wrong thread for it, but it isn't quite like the rest of us.

Many commit fully to it (emotionally and educationally) before they are paid. Most are fairly naive about the potential consequences, the potential impact on their future health, and future earning potential. They're kept in a fairly tight bubble. Many have the carrot of potentially earning well in front of them, but the stick of failure behind them.

The truth is professional athletes' remuneration isn't linearly tied to effort. Players who put in the same amount of effort are rewarded differently all over the world. Bent gets a fraction of what Furlong gets - but plays more minutes? Does he not have as many impacts. Is he overpaid or underpaid? How about Penny versus Rol? Which one of them tries harder, risks more?

It is not for me to say what a fair remuneration is for the workload of a professional rugby player, opportunity cost of being a professional rugby player, and risks (both physical and financial) involved in pursuing that path.

But I can say for sure these three things.
    1. There is a massive spectrum of professionalism, the lower end of that spectrum is definitely underpaid.
    2. Players are in a terrible negotiation position, a low information enviornment, and emotionally compromised when they come to the table
    3. We (as a society) do a very good job of brainwashing young kids into dreaming of playing for Leinster. That can only count against them when it comes to contract time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

errlloyd wrote: »
    This is the wrong thread for it, but it isn't quite like the rest of us.

Many commit fully to it (emotionally and educationally) before they are paid. Most are fairly naive about the potential consequences, the potential impact on their future health, and future earning potential. They're kept in a fairly tight bubble. Many have the carrot of potentially earning well in front of them, but the stick of failure behind them.

The truth is professional athletes' remuneration isn't linearly tied to effort. Players who put in the same amount of effort are rewarded differently all over the world. Bent gets a fraction of what Furlong gets - but plays more minutes? Does he not have as many impacts. Is he overpaid or underpaid? How about Penny versus Rol? Which one of them tries harder, risks more?

It is not for me to say what a fair remuneration is for the workload of a professional rugby player, opportunity cost of being a professional rugby player, and risks (both physical and financial) involved in pursuing that path.

But I can say for sure these three things.
    1. There is a massive spectrum of professionalism, the lower end of that spectrum is definitely underpaid.
    2. Players are in a terrible negotiation position, a low information enviornment, and emotionally compromised when they come to the table
    3. We (as a society) do a very good job of brainwashing young kids into dreaming of playing for Leinster. That can only count against them when it comes to contract time.

That's bad enough, but what's far, far worse is when some evil person sidles up to them a few years later and assures them that if they move to another
    province they'll be far happier and much more successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

So. What kind of side for Fri?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

That's bad enough, but what's far, far worse is when some evil person sidles up to them a few years later and assures them that if they move to another
    province they'll be far happier and much more successful.

552734.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭durthacht

Dubinusa wrote: »
    So. What kind of side for Fri?

Ah screw that, the question is what will be the salary cost of Friday... :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

A lot of them are rewarded with spending a chunk of the year in rehab and major physical problems in later life

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Also worth bearing in mind that paying someone a salary of €40k a year will cost an employer €4K more in PRSI and presumably the employer will also have to cover a hefty insurance premium to cover the cost of injury.

So if we look at JJ's €180K, Munster would have been paying an extra €19,500 a year for PRSI.

If we're comparing with France, a salary of 180k to an employee costs an employer 510k total. I'd be surprised if it was less than half that for an Irish employer.

https://entreprise.pole-emploi.fr/cout-salarie/#estimer-cout-salarie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭hold my beer

If we're comparing with France, a salary of 180k to an employee costs an employer 510k total. I'd be surprised if it was less than half that for an Irish employer.

https://entreprise.pole-emploi.fr/cout-salarie/#estimer-cout-salarie

Are you working back from a net salary of 180k?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I thought it was well established that Leinster players don't take any money (except for the dirty, foreign mercenaries) and simply play for pride in the jersey, free bacon and pear sandwiches and the luxury of being able to live close to their mums.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I thought it was well established that Leinster players don't take any money (except for the dirty, foreign mercenaries) and simply play for pride in the jersey, free bacon and pear sandwiches and the luxury of being able to live close to their mums.

It’s not that they don’t take money it’s that they don’t need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Bacon? Bacon!? A Leinster play wouldn't sully themselves with common-as-muck bacon. And in a sandwich? Get away down to Limerick with you.

It's proscuttio and pear crostini, or they're off to France.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Bacon? Bacon!? A Leinster play wouldn't sully themselves with common-as-muck bacon. And in a sandwich? Get away down to Limerick with you.

It's proscuttio and pear crostini, or they're off to France.

Prosciutto ;)

You'll have to forgive me, I'm from Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

It's OK, you've suffered enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Ham so.

• Advertisement

Covid-19 riddled ham.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭ongarite

Doris back for Leinster for Ulster game

https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/status/1392796261326020614

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Team named. Doris is back. Jimmy is back. Milne is back

Very strong team. No 10 cover though unless you count Jimmy or Garry

E1QaEVLX0AIjisb?format=jpg&name=large

I'd like to see Foley get some proper minutes now too behind a pack that's not getting the stuffing knocked out of them

• Registered Users Posts: 16,896 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Have Baird and Ryan started a game together at second row?

Looking forward to seeing that.

Clegg wrote: »
    Have Baird and Ryan started a game together at second row?

Looking forward to seeing that.

They started a game together a few months back yeah - can't remember which one

EDIT: It was against Northampton just before Xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭TRC10

Good to see Milne in the squad. Hasn't played since November but he's shown good promise and we desperately need some young looseheads to come through. Both Leinster and Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,057 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Was there any update on how serious Ruddock's injury was?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Was there any update on how serious Ruddock's injury was?

I think it was like 6-8 weeks hamstring strain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Great to see Doris back. Same goes for JOB, who I think was having a great season until injury. I am disappointed with the selection though. It's a strong side filled with experience, but I was hoping to see more of a mix of experience and academy players. Leo must be treating this as a serious competition now that Europe is done and dusted.

Advertisement