Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotgun storage for extended period

Options
  • 12-05-2021 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

I have a semi-auto shotgun that won’t be used for a number of months.
    Having read through the user manual, there is no reference to long-term storage.
    So, how do I remove tension on the firing spring (or any other tensioned spring for that matter), if I am storing the firearm for an extended period of time (i.e. 6-24 months)?
    I’m thinking of using a snap cap in the chamber, then firing the trigger and locking away.
    Thoughts please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭JP22

Thats exactly what I did when serving overseas.

Thouroughly clean and oil all metal parts, use snap caps to release cocked springs, some people store muzzle down to avoid oil seepage into the stock, be sure to have some Gel Desiccant Bags in your safe. Store ammo seperately and use a trigger lock if you have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

And if you want to go belt&braces...These are a good investment for our dampish climate when storing firearms.

https://byallen.com/gun-storage/socks-sleeves

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement