Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2009 Honda Civic hatch 1.8

Options
  • 12-05-2021 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

I'm looking at this. Asking is €2.5k, mileage is 180,000km. The car's more than an hour from me though. I was hoping to bring a friend that knows a bit about cars with me but it doesn't suit him.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic-1-8-es-5-door/27713825

It looks pretty tidey. Spoke to my mechanic though, who recommends I get the 2.2 diesel instead (Or a Toyota!) - don't think I do enough driving to justify a diesel :confused: (maybe 80-100km pw). Anything I'm reading suggests that they're very reliable. I drove an Accord previously which was bulletproof apart from water ingress.

I've read the sticky, which has some great advice, but if anyone has any input I'd appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

That looks like a good example. Post 2008, 1.8, ES spec, if you're looking for one, that's the spec to buy.

NCT is a bit short, i'd use that as a haggling point but I wouldn't be too worried about it.

The bodywork looks ok, it's low owners, if it drives ok it's definitely worth a shout IMO.

It's also the unofficial car of a lot of the boards regulars. I think when it came down to it before, it turned out 10 or 12 of us were driving one at around the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭themighty

Thanks toyotafanboi. That's good to hear. I've been in contact with the seller and he seems straight. I was pretty sure I was going, mechanic threw me off a bit though. But then he's prob thinking of what's easiest for him:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Personally, I had one (a 07 not a 09), same engine, for 3 years, put around 60k kms on it and never really had a minutes trouble outside of servicing and tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Looks good, the accessory grille really freshens them up.
    I think it’s on the expensive side, given the NCT I’d be aiming for €2000 at the most.

FWIW I had one of these for 8 years and it never missed a beat.

Things to look for:
    Slipping clutch
    Creaking clutch pedal
    Leaks
    Radio display losing pixels
    Mirrors not folding
    Rust on the rear beam axle (quite expensive if it kills the beam)
    Suspension clunks which could be wishbone bushings that are quite expensive to do, as Honda want to sell you a subframe, only alternative is to find the one supplier that actually does the bushing on its own (about €90 a pair vs €1900 from Honda) the NCT are failing them a bit apparently.

Mechanicals are bulletproof, but parts are expensive so worth looking over as much as you can.

Thanks Colm, some great advice there. Between that any the sticky I'll have a decent checklist for the day.

Good to hear so many boardsies have good experiences with the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭barryribs

Also had a 07 with about 200k km on the clock with the same spec. Great car, the only problem I had with it was like Colm mentioned with the radio display. Driving position is nice, gearbox is lovely and I used get great mpg out of it too if driven sensibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Richard_parker

Reliable cars with terrible chassis and suspension set up. Reminds me of old golfs, rear suspension will feel every single irregularity on the road. I still have 152 diesel, rear suspension still the same I find it so annoying that I drive my old one most days. This is something that wont bother most people however, and they are very reliable especially the petrol models.
    The accord you mention will be a much more refined car with multi link rear and double wishbone front, don't expect that civic to feel the same.

Thanks for the input barryribs and Richard_parker. I've been delayed getting down to see it. Hopefully tomorrow, all going well.

I'd heard the ride was harsh at lower speeds alright. I'd be happy enough to put up with that, if it's reliable and I get a few years out of it. I'll post an update once I get a look at it.

Quick update. Picked up the car earlier today. Overpaid slightly versus Colm's advice but not by much. Seller was very sound, had the car for the last 9 years and it seemed in great knick. Took the country roads home to see how it went. Been a while since I've driven a manual, forgot how much fun it could be. Very happy so far:)

Two cars sorted now in the last month with the help of boardies. Big thanks to everyone for the advice.

Advertisement