Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveller Wedding - Breaking Tenancy & Covid Rules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Well I wasn't wrong, back here on a new thread with another 2 finger salute, another Marquee, Another Wedding and where??????? A halting site. I suppose it brightened up the site :)

Just beyond words really, what we're those words of apology from Longford again? To the people of Ireland we apologise.

You'd have to question the intelligence of the Marquee provider (if applicable) less than week since another one fined €3k, unless of course they built that into rental price :)

Curious to see how this ends, just extraordinary or perhaps maybe not.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Best of luck finding an independent contractor to take that down.

The Israeli army wouldn’t even take on that contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

With more and more people leaving their homes to go back to work, they'll be OK to raise funds for any fines imposed on them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭irishproduce

From the rte reporting. This quote from the organising traveller says everything that is wrong in one succinct sentence.

"My son’s wedding is going ahead and I accept the consequences of not taking it down"

You see, the problem here is, he knows the consequences are absolutely minimal and almost laughable. He says consequences, but he knows there are none bar the inconvenience of having to go to court and say sorry. That's the height of it.
    We have a serious problem here.
    This is one isolated incidence where the person is in a situation where they literally can be heard saying it
    But it's implied across the whole country. There is f*CK all consequences.

Best of luck finding an independent contractor to take that down.

The Israeli army wouldn’t even take on that contract.

They would if it was Palestinians

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

From the rte reporting. This quote from the organising traveller says everything that is wrong in one succinct sentence.

"My son’s wedding is going ahead and I accept the consequences of not taking it down"

You see, the problem here is, he knows the consequences are absolutely minimal and almost laughable. He says consequences, but he knows there are none bar the inconvenience of having to go to court and say sorry. That's the height of it.
    We have a serious problem here.
    This is one isolated incidence where the person is in a situation where they literally can be heard saying it
    But it's implied across the whole country. There is f*CK all consequences.

Maybe the consequences should be a full revenue audit of where the funds for the wedding have come from and any other assets they may own. That might make the next one think twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Well I wasn't wrong, back here on a new thread with another 2 finger salute, another Marquee, Another Wedding and where??????? A halting site. I suppose it brightened up the site :)

Just beyond words really, what we're those words of apology from Longford again? To the people of Ireland we apologise.

You'd have to question the intelligence of the Marquee provider (if applicable) less than week since another one fined €3k, unless of course they built that into rental price :)

Curious to see how this ends, just extraordinary or perhaps maybe not.

Previous marquee provider was not fined. He claimed he know nothing about the court order. It was the food provider that was fined

Slava Ukrainii

Previous marquee provider was not fined. He claimed he know nothing about the court order. It was the food provider that was fined

Apologies, I understood they were not fines as such but that 3 people made contributions totalling 12k, The Organiser, Take Away and Marquee contractor???

EDIT, Just checked, groom, father and caterers, not Marquee provider

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Lmkrnr wrote: »
    Will never happen. They will get thrown from a social house and get another Irish Tax funded organisation to fund the next house. Revolving door of left wing policy.

Ireland doesn't have a left wing government..... and in fact never has.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Again, the people in this case being travelers doesn't matter.

What matters is that we have people once again blatantly violating covid restrictions and the government needs to clamp down on this hard. We are near the end of this, ****ing things up near the end, by letting people violate restrictions openly like this, is the height of idiocy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,875 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Marriage took place in NI, wonder if that is because the bride was under 18?

16 legal age for marriage NI, 18 in ROI.

Anyways, they are a gas bunch of pretend idiots, cute as foxes they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

There is no mechanism to fine people for breach of tenancy.

They can be fixed for breech of Covid-19 restrictions, but some people aren't going to be fussed about that.

The ethnicity of the people concerned is irrelevant in this case, exactly the same sequence of events would happen for some buffers.

Which is not to say there are no measures that can be taken if you are. If I'm in breach of my tenancy and lease I get evicted. Perhaps that should also be the case here, if you are gifted a property and can't abide by the rules of your tenancy, out you go to find your own place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,689 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

conorhal wrote: »
    If I'm in breach of my tenancy and lease I get evicted.

Nope, you probably don't. It would be extremely unlikely to find a judge who would grant an eviction on the basis of one covid regulation breach.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Santan

Looking at the photos on rte seems like there is a large garda presence there. Unbelievable that there will be little to no consequences to this family

• Registered Users Posts: 16,367 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Have the accusations of "racism" started yet?

At this point nothing should surprise us with relation to travellers.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,197 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's like something out of Father Fooking Ted the way it's being handled, just send in the army and level the tent.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I hate the usual Traveller bashing threads where they are all tarred with the one brush but someone deserved to spend a night or two in jail over this. Catering company & tent provider have serious questions to answer too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Let the wedding go ahead but send CAB,Revenue,customs and the ERU to the reception

The tent is certainly big enough to accommodate them all

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

People are always surprised by this behaviour for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

It's like something out Father Fooking Ted the way it's being handled, just send in the army and level the tent.

Why "send them in"? They'll have something that could hit it from 2 miles away.:pac:

• Advertisement

nullzero wrote:
    At this point nothing should surprise us with relation to travellers.

You do know that last summer there were 100s of weddings like this & even bigger involving settled Irish people?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    People are always surprised by this behaviour for some reason.

I don't think anyone is surprised tbh.

Surprised that steps are being taken to do something about it, perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

Just read it before coming here. You just couldn't make this stuff up... Where's my popcorn:)

How would anybody on here know where your popcorn is? If you don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    You do know that last summer there were 100s of weddings like this & even bigger involving settled Irish people?

Go on then give us a list of all the large settled Irish People weddings last Summer

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I hate the usual Traveller bashing threads where they are all tarred with the one brush but someone deserved to spend a night or two in jail over this. Catering company & tent provider have serious questions to answer too

Probably cheaper for the caterer and tent provider to pay the fine than go to court and cough up for refusing their services to travellers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Bicyclette wrote: »
    I think the thing to point out here is, that any anger is directed at the behaviour not the background of the people involved.

If this was done by Dublin Dentists, Donegal Doctors, Tullamore Teachers or Roscommon Rugby Players, many people, myself included, would still be aghast at the behaviour and attitude.

Why should the rest of us put up with this sh y te? It does appear as if they think they are superior to the rest of us. That they can do what they like.

It has always been thus, the meek and generally law abiding get punished for stepping out of line while the brazen and aggressive get treated with kid gloves. And this happens at all levels - the student find for not having a tram ticket while teenage scrotes freely cause havoc on public transport. To the ordinary Joe soap getting prison for failure to pay the TV license contrasted to small fines if any action at all for wilful court order breaches for travellers.

It's not travellers that are actually the issue here, it's the uneven application of the law. Easy targets get the full weight, while the more brazen and ignorant you are the more likely you will not have any consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

wes wrote: »
    Ireland doesn't have a left wing government..... and in fact never has.

They may call themselves right wing, but they are very much on the left

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 15,875 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Ah here, the newly weds must be back from Armagh by now. Anyone nearby the marquee place have any info?

I see the Gardai are parked up in force around the entrance to the halting site. Should be interesting to see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Santan wrote: »
    Looking at the photos on rte seems like there is a large garda presence there. Unbelievable that there will be little to no consequences to this family

Miley will pull out a wad that would choke a donkey and try to pay the fines on the spot as long as they can go ahead.

They wont be able to secure a contractor to take down the marqee and then the guards will once again employ a "watching brief" in the rain while the celebrations go into the early hours.

Yet the gardai could roll on three van loads strong to a few aul wans with placards the other night complaining about been ripped of by corporates outside Debenhams.

• Advertisement

afro man wrote:
    Go on then give us a list of all the large settled Irish People weddings last Summer

Maybe you don't read the news but these were reported right throughout the summer and autumn of last year.

Advertisement