Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*Gas* BBQ/Grilling

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭con747

eldamo wrote: »
    neighbors gas cylinder works fine

must have picked up an empty one,

balls, a year back too so just have to swallow that, ah well, sausages for dinner

Give him back the empty one:D:rolleyes:

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭wassie

neighbors gas cylinder works fine

must have picked up an empty one

Fair play to you. Your BBQ will be grand when its going!

When you buy a replacement refill, it should have a sealed plastic cap. If its broken, then don't accept it and ask for another.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Granite Head

I am looking to get a Propane gas regulator for "Buschbeck Gas Insert". Any idea what type of regulator will connect to the gas hose and where you can get one.

TIA

https://www.buschbeck.ie/accessories/buschbeck-stainless-steel-gas-burner-insert.223.html

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Sprints, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine, Therapy, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Amble

Ok, I don't know if this is the correct place to post this, but it does seem pretty active, so I will try,
    Last summer, in a panic, I bought this cheap lump....
    https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3450901/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CGarden+and+DIY%7C14418702/c_2/3%7C19285823%7CBarbecues%7C14418875/c_3/4%7Ccat_14418875%7CGas+BBQs%7C14418882.htm
    urgh, I don't need telling that it was a bad idea, I would have been better off stockpiling toilet paper.

anyway, I did just about everything wrong, it said butane or propane, so I got a flogas butane cylinder from the local service station,

go to set it up, the regulator provided with the bbq was for propane,
    I probably should have switched the cylinder for a propane one,
    instead, I bought a new butane regulator from the same service station,

the bbq basically never worked, a puff of wind would put it out, even when alight it never actually got hot enough to cook anything, I am pretty sure I used it twice last summer, and the second time I brought everything inside to finish under the grill because I just got fed up with it.

So, this year, took it out, cleaned it up, decided to use it within the shed with the door open, just to stop the breeze putting it out,

doesn't appear to be the breeze putting it out, still wont stay alight.

did some troubleshooting, seemed that maybe it was a dud regulator.... shop I bought it from has a bit of a bad rep, so I thought, to give it one last chance before flinging it on the tip I would order a regulator from flogas to give it another go...

arrived today, attached.... will barely light let alone stay alight...

I am worried now that it may be something far simpler

did I pick up an empty or almost empty gas cylinder in the first place...

so I am trying to make sense of the markings on the bottle.

It has a metal disk around the neck of the bottle that has tare 13.9kg, Is this the empty weight of the cylinder?

It says 11.34kg on the side, is this how much gas fits in it?

I weighed it and it is 15.1kg....

as I said, I bought it last summer, barely used it, could someone confirm what weight it should be full or empty

given my guesswork there should be 1.2kg of gas in there, would that effect the flow rate coming out?

I am going to check if my neighbor has a gas cylinder I could try...

any other suggestions welcome, otherwise it will be going on the tip, the amount of time and money I have wasted on a cheap and cheerful bbq.....

never again!

A few things come to mind:
    1. Just because its cheap and nasty doesn’t mean it shouldn’t work
    2. Your key mistake was probably changing the regulator - are you happy you’ve fitted it correctly? Also not sure changing to a different gas is wise - it may have been built to take just one particular gas so I’d be careful - consider changing back to original fitting and get the appropriate gas as recommended by the manufacturer
    3. By any chance are you putting the gas BBQ on at it’s lowest setting as opposed to highest setting? It’s a common error for those new to gas BBQs?

It really should not go out once lit and if it does, and you have a naked flame close by, that’s going to be serious for you and your guests- take it back to argos and get a credit note and save for a decent BBQ-it’s under guarantee and you have consumer rights considering only brought last year

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I am looking to get a Propane gas regulator for "Buschbeck Gas Insert". Any idea what type of regulator will connect to the gas hose and where you can get one.

TIA

https://www.buschbeck.ie/accessories/buschbeck-stainless-steel-gas-burner-insert.223.html

The Calor Kosangas site have every regulator imaginable. The screw on ones seem to come in high pressure and low pressure so you'll have to look at the instructions or contact the supplier to see which you need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Genius2013

Looking for a bit of advice from people here - trying to figure out which BBQ to get and I've my eye on:

1. Sahara 3 Burner + Side Burner Gas BBQ or
    2. Weber Spirit Ii E-210 Gas BBQ (2 Burner)

Both are in around the same price so wondering what would people recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Would you consider the Q2200

Genius2013 wrote: »
    Looking for a bit of advice from people here - trying to figure out which BBQ to get and I've my eye on:

1. Sahara 3 Burner + Side Burner Gas BBQ or
    2. Weber Spirit Ii E-210 Gas BBQ (2 Burner)

Both are in around the same price so wondering what would people recommend?

Weber spirit 2 as long as it has the cast iron grilling inserts- NEVER buy the cheap light ceramic grill inserts available on some older models and even some newer models as they rust

Weber spirit is a great grill- I’ve mine covered but outdoors all year for the last 8 years- there’s newer versions now I believe so make sure it’s totally up to date and that you’re not buying an old model for new model prices and of course the cast iron grills

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jinkybhoy

thejaguar wrote: »

I have this one a year now and very handy and I have no complaints. Great to be able to bring with you on holidays as the top detachs easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It’s €299 on that link plus shipping

Other places it’s around €480

Seems cheap ?

• Advertisement

I wouldn’t recommend this at all- it’s a very basic BBQ and not up to the OP request -the Spirit 2 is streaks ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

Looking for a 2 burner around 200e that will easily fit in a small shed and last 2 years? Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Genius2013

Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Hi folks any idea how to remove water from my thermometer please?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Nigzcurran wrote: »

You can remove by unscrewing from the inside of lid. Then I think you can fold back the clips and open it up. Dry the glass and leave all somewhere to dry

Then put back together and screw it back on

Well that’s what I did and all worked fine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Hairdryer. But I think I would die of boredom.

Masala wrote: »
    You can remove by unscrewing from the inside of lid. Then I think you can fold back the clips and open it up. Dry the glass and leave all somewhere to dry

Then put back together and screw it back on

Well that’s what I did and all worked fine

Cheers I’ll give it a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

This might sound really simple but it’s a great way to cook spuds on the BBQ and it’s actually hard to fcuk up.

Can be done long in advance. Spuds could be boiled half cooked in advance to speed up but I’ve never done that.

Get as many medium sized spuds as you need.

Wash then well so that your even rubbing off some of the skin

Cut tinfoil in squares big enough to wrap each spud

Get a tablespoon of butter and put a dollop of butter on each spud and use it to stick the spud to the middle of the foil, season with salt and pepper (some butters are salty enough so you might only need pepper)

Wrap tightly.

Put on the bbq as soon as you light it, even before you light it because they take longest to cook.

Move them around a little so you don’t get one side burned.

If you want to get fancy then garlic, thyme, lemon, rosemary etc etc can be added before wrapping but honestly I find them to be really good especially to soak up a steak juices.

If you want to get fancy then different spuds might yield different results because of their water content, but I’ve found this to be a great way of adding a carb to the bbq

• Registered Users Posts: 16,735 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Nigzcurran wrote: »

I'd say just turning the grill on and letting it get good and hot with the lid down would get rid of the moisture.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

Right folks, I've just bought myself a Safari X450 from Woodies.

Compared to the 3 burner "toy" I dumper a couple of years ago, it's a serious piece of kit. Have it assembled & it's a monster & I'm looking forward to using it. Has a removable insert which you can swap for a pizza stone etc.

What's some good stuff to get in the way of accessories?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

OU812 wrote: »

A good wire brush with a long handle and a pair of tongs. :)

I'd say just turning the grill on and letting it get good and hot with the lid down would get rid of the moisture.

This actually got rid of the main bit of water inside but there is still some condensation sitting on the inside of the glass blocking my view of the numbers so I’ll have to take it apart and try sort it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭wassie

OU812 wrote: »
    Right folks, I've just bought myself a Safari X450 from Woodies.

Compared to the 3 burner "toy" I dumper a couple of years ago, it's a serious piece of kit. Have it assembled & it's a monster & I'm looking forward to using it. Has a removable insert which you can swap for a pizza stone etc.

Im not convinced on the pizza stone in the bbq. Also I dont see the point of having a separate steak grill insert, but I have the cast iron pan which is fantastic even if it is overpriced for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

wassie wrote: »
    Im not convinced on the pizza stone in the bbq. Also I dont see the point of having a separate steak grill insert, but I have the cast iron pan which is fantastic even if it is overpriced for what it is.

Don’t get the cross hatch insert either.

What’s the width of the base of the pan? I may try to pick up an off brand one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭tscul32

We have the rotisserie on order. Have ours a couple of months now and used plenty if times. We got rectangular pizza stones in lidl and used them on the bbq for homemade pizzas, 2 fit perfectly. Will have to tweak times and temps to get it perfect but the base taste and texture was lovely. Got bbq mats for sealing stuff before moving onto the grill, working out great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

Im looking at buying a Weber Spirit II E-310 shortly, can anyone tell me which gas regulator comes fitted to these? Im using the clip on 37mbar Patio Gas (grey bottle) on my current bbq and am hoping the Weber will come with the same reg? Anyone bought one recently that can confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

Im looking at buying a Weber Spirit II E-310 shortly, can anyone tell me which gas regulator comes fitted to these? Im using the clip on 37mbar Patio Gas (grey bottle) on my current bbq and am hoping the Weber will come with the same reg? Anyone bought one recently that can confirm?

every weber i purchased had a patio gas regulator

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

I purchased this model in March and it has the patio gas adapter. Red. It's a great BBQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

Thanks folks, I have just ordered it now! :D
    Whats the verdict on cover vs no cover? I used to use a cover on my old bbq but found it can make the bbq a bit damp. But risk of rusting is obviously worse when its out in the elements

This is my first proper bbq (after having a few cheaper ones that only last 4 or so years before going rusty and are impossible to get replacement parts for) so want to look after it!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Your cover needs to be breathable. I bought this one a few months ago and it's really good, it's quite a substantial weight and hasn't blown off once in a gale.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B087VVFHTL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Advertisement