Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boardsies Greatest Original Song

• 10-05-2021 8:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭

music-notes-symbols-curves-swirls-260nw-1463041166.jpg

Welcome to Boardsies Greatest Original Song tournament.

Following on from the 4th tournament I ran here and a category in my Walrus, here we are looking to find the greatest original version of well known cover songs. As this could be quite subjective, I am going to give some guidelines as to what can be nominated.

The original song must have been recorded as a promo single, b-side, or album track.
    The original song must have been covered by artist(s) as a single, b-side, or album track also
    No live version, only studio recording.
    A song that has only been remixed or sampled is no eligible.
    Some songs have been covered multiple times, we are looking for the first and original recording only

Please PM me 10 nominations, when we have enough to run the tournament we will start.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,627 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

There'll be arguments over whether the original or cover is the best known version :D

Are you auto-entering anything submitted to your walrus?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

There'll be arguments over whether the original or cover is the best known version :D

Are you auto-entering anything submitted to your walrus?

I won't be strict on that. I suppose all qualify as we are finding the greatest but I hope we can find some hidden gems we never knew existed.

I will be nominating my own 10, may or may not be from the walrus

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

So does the original have to be better than the cover in your opinion? I've a few in the reverse?

ChannelNo5 wrote: »
    So does the original have to be better than the cover in your opinion? I've a few in the reverse?

Nope, if it meets the criteria then it is fine.

When it comes to the tournament and voting, I guess everyone will compare it to the cover and as a stand alone song.

The OP might be confusing, I'm hoping to get songs from cover songs that are well know but also there will be originals that are more well known than the covers.

I don't want to make too many restrictions on what is eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I'm in. An interesting idea this. An original song can sometimes get overshadowed and sidelined by a cover version.

• Advertisement

38 songs nominated so far and one real hidden gem that I was going to nominate myself. Thanks everyone so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

I'll get my thinking cap on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

I only realized after reading a thread on After Hours recently that The Happy Mondays' Step On is a cover/re-working of a 70s song.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Reberetta wrote: »
    I only realized after reading a thread on After Hours recently that The Happy Mondays' Step On is a cover/re-working of a 70s song.

Yep, I submitted that for the greatest cover version competition last year.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Entries submitted!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Entries submitted.

79 unique songs from 9 players so far, we should easily make 128

Kolido wrote: »
    38 songs nominated so far and one real hidden gem that I was going to nominate myself. Thanks everyone so far
    Kolido wrote: »
    79 unique songs from 9 players so far, we should easily make 128

At 10 noms per player... how are we getting those odd numbers :confused:

At 10 noms per player... how are we getting those odd numbers :confused:

Those are unique songs, there are some multi nominated songs :)

200.gif?cid=95b279449409ac6df4cf243b82131cfe8f0f98a953854e42&rid=200.gif
    :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Hopefully 10 unique songs sent because I had to whittle them down from twenty

• Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Actually discovered one I didn't know about that blew my mind, and the versions are almost identical :eek:

ShaneU wrote: »
    Actually discovered one I didn't know about that blew my mind, and the versions are almost identical :eek:

There is one on your list that I was going to nominate myself and it's a cracker, only discovered it recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

I have one on my list that's a real favourite of mine and by coincidence only found out its a cover quite recently. It wont be to many peoples taste though I'd have thought but its a reminder of my shoe gazing indie youth.!!

I have had to veto one song so far, the 2 players who nominated it have been notified. There may be others when I through them more closely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,788 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm in. An interesting idea this. An original song can sometimes get overshadowed and sidelined by a cover version.

Yes Hurt I now just associate with Johnny Cash

I will get some entries in later

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Yes Hurt I now just associate with Johnny Cash

I will get some entries in later

Never even thought of that for my nominations. Much prefer the nine inch nails version

Another few noms in today, should be well over the 100 now.

I need to screen some more, we might have to ditch a few that are not originals.

A few of you said you had some more, send them on please if you want, can use them as wild cards.

Thanks everyone so far

112 songs in now and another 20 wildcards. One player mis-read the theme so I've asked them to nominate again.

I would like to add a couple also, so I think we are fine for noms now to run a full tournament. Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

yikes only saw this and pmd a list off the top of my head only to read down further its closed all ready... disregard my list or just use ones not nominated already which hopefully might be all of them :D

speckle wrote: »
    yikes only saw this and pmd a list off the top of my head only to read down further its closed all ready... disregard my list or just use ones not nominated already which hopefully might be all of them :D

Impressive list, a few I wasn't aware off.

Anything I got since this morning will go on the wild card list, which is basically the qualifying round. Not to worry though, every nominations will get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Thanks I like being wildcards :D

Advertisement