Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What does it mean for you to be back golfing?

Options
  • 11-05-2021 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭

Jaysus it's great to be back lads isn't it?

Rather than staying in bed, I'm setting the alarm, up early and out for 9 holes, 3 days a week before work and again on Saturday. Not something I ever would have really done before, but with work being sh1tty, it's afforded me the opportunity to get the early 9 played. I think I'll keep at it for a while, though maybe not 3 mornings a week as I'd like to start playing comps. Just a shame there aren't any 9 hole ones in my local club. I'll schedule a regular afternoon for 18

The only thing is I have to start hitting the sack a bit earlier...... been knackered a few of the days, I'm a bit of a night owl.

For me, being back playing has definitely shaped my life a little for the better. Fresh air, a bit of headspace and doing something I really enjoy. It's given me a bit of me time, either on my own or with playing partners, away from the crapy work life and the locked up home life with nothing to look forward to (except of course an epic 2022 golf trip). It's given me bit of discipline, no more boozing when I know I'm up early next morning to play golf (work doesn't matter as much :D)

The golf has been pretty awful so far, but I hope you are all enjoying it as much as I am.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

The saying " happy wife, happy life" comes to mind.... And what makes the wife happy I hear you ask, well, it's me not being a grumpy old @##@.
    In all seriousness, golf is a large part of my free time.
    The banter with the lads, the ruminating over previous rounds, the dreaming of future rounds, the countless hours online looking at anything golf related and paige spiranac.....
    It's great to be back and seeing some decent golf if not being played by me and it's great to see the wife happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I'm playing sh*te, but I don't really care. I just love getting out in the fresh air and seeing my friends again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Della31

have only been out twice (6 month old baby has taken precedent) but it has been glorious- marks some return to normality...both times have decided to enter a score under general play score and have found it makes me focus more and play more consistently...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I actually didn't mind the break - as get to play as much as I like (an unusual complaint).

But now that I'm back - I have loved it. The nine hole and 2 ball has been a bit of revelation. 1 hour 45 mins - no messing about . Basically fly around and job done. You come in wanting to play a few more - but feel fresh.

Over every shot in the 2 ball golf - there has been no waiting for anyone - this is helped by the larger gaps.

I also got to play with lads I would never play with - these are out of their own routine themselves as no 4 balls - or working from home - or not working at all. After an initial reticence - I've notice how people are enjoying the social interaction. Talking and interacting with people - is far more respected. The 2 ball with a stranger is an interesting dynamic. You have no option but to talk. I tend to be over informal.

On the golf front - I've played surprisingly well with the odd howler. Putting well - driving well - not catching the irons well yet. But getting it around - have broken 40 a few times , in bad conditions. Odd one near 50 too.

I love a bit of variety in courses - so looking forward to playing a big one soon. RCD - Druids Glen - Port Links etc.

So - I guess to answer question. I'm delighted. But I found a few things in not playing golf too. You can focus on other stuff like - DIY - walks - outdoor life - music - documentaries - cycling - family life - books. ​

In the past - I would have poo pooed , shorter formats of golf. But I definitely get it now. Whilst golfers don't like to admit it. Golf is just too slow and takes up too much time. And - I've also realized , something I considered an Irish golf club strength , we take golf far too serious , obsessed with our handicap and playing a round like we are pros.

So happy out - not sure how I feel about going back to 4.5 hour rounds and talking about .1s - when there is no such thing - as for working out how many shots you have versus some other dude , on whatever tee - and the now bizarre number of places and apps and procedures with golf. Playing real (Irish Club) golf - will be a shock to the post lockdown system.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Good post Fix
    Agree with all you said there. I also enjoyed the break, spending time with family, getting myself a it fitter. Not to much DIY over the winter but I've plenty to do now.
    Yep I'm really liking the quick 9 which I would have also poo pooed :o

Oh and stick Baltray on that list of yours :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

And - I've also realized , something I considered an Irish golf club strength , we take golf far too serious , obsessed with our handicap and playing a round like we are pros.

+1 on this. I never realised how bad we were until a few years ago, I was golfing with a mate of mine who was back home from the states on a stag, he had 2 of his American friends with him who were extending their stag holiday as they wanted to golf some Irish courses. So we golfed MJ and The European over 2 days and they loved it, however they got a great laugh out of me treating every shot as if I was playing in The Masters as they said.

Anyway back on topic. Its great to be back, I've gotten five 9 hole rounds since we got back and have loved it. Like SeveOB mentioned in his opening post, I am loving the 9 hole game and only wish there was some 9 comps at my course also. I can get from my house to the course, play a 9 hole 2 ball and be back home in just over 2 hours. Can't beat it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

For me the great thing about golf being back is a bit of a feeling of normality and something to look forward to at the weekend. Especially that first round back - I was counting down the days.

I'd agree with Fix about that the shorter rounds are great. As a junior the max we were allowed to play in was a 3 ball and I've always longed to go back to it. There's less waiting around and it's more social because the three of you talk together instead of talking in twos for the round. I'm booked into a fourball for Sunday and it will probably mean an extra hour for the round. And we'll have twice as many balls to look for.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭IAmTitleist

At our place in the winter they close off 4 holes (2 on the front 9 and 2 on the back 9) leaving 14 holes play.

Every winter me and my mates remark that 14 holes is the perfect length of a time for a round. In around the 3 hour mark and you feel as though you've played a full round compared to just the 9 holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

It has such a impact on my life I didn't realise how much! My mood has been uplifted so much! When I'm out I don't want to come back in.. We have been doing 18 since start and that is leaving me wanting more! ha. Only life, food and tiredness stops me :D It's made me love the game so much more even though I always did.

I took the week off when golf was back and played everyday apart from the Thurs but went to the range - 95 holes bliss.. There's so much more to life than just work..

Fresh air, Beautiful Sunshine, the exercise, the laugh, the landscapes that courses create.

People don't realise but its so important to have a hobby and love it. Especially for your mental state of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

For me, one of the biggest benefits has 100% been getting those social interactions back. It has been a tough run since November of last year, and I'm not shy on admitting that I struggled with it for quite a while.

Its one thing I'll say for Boards, I've made some good friends on here who were there to lend an ear, and have open and honest conversations about how tough its been for a lot of people.

But now I've had the opportunity to get out and spend a couple of hours with my Dad & my Godfather, separately on the course. Its those small things that i'm really appreciating now.

I think that we were all guilty of taking the privilige we have for granted. We all like a grumble about the little things with golf, and from reading the posts so far on here, it seems that most people are starting to get a bit of more perspective and enjoy that privilege for what it is.

Give me a return to the boards society and all will be good with the world.

Long may it last

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Tempora

Personally one thing I'm really enjoying is the exercise!

I'm not really a big fan of most cardio, and without my usual weightlifting due to the gyms being closed I'm quite out of shape. I'm lucky that my diet means I haven't put on any weight at all and I'm still sitting right in the middle of the healthy BMI range, but I'm definitely unfit.

Many people remark that the biggest fault of my home course is how mountainous it is, which can make a lot of your shots quite difficult. But that's a great thing from an exercise point of view. An 18 hole round pushing my trolley is basically a 12km hike with some great views and you get to play golf.

So yeah for me I'm really enjoying that feeling of pushing the trolley up the 18th fairway and being totally wrecked, I think it really helps with sleep as well to be a bit physically tired, getting into bed at the end of the day is very satisfying.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Absolutely loving it, I have only missed 2 days since coming back but a lot of it has been just the 9 holes or continuing to the 11th beside the carpark, my hamstrings have been killing me, can't believe how unfit I'd become since we stopped, but as it was said here, there is a lot to be said about a quick 9.Maybe now golfers won't look down their noses at some of the great 9 hole clubs we have with the usual comment of "Its only a 9 hole course not a real golf club" as the 9 hole 80/90 minute game is great of an evening after work or before work like Seve O B

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

obsessed with our handicap

My obsession with my handicap is one of the things I love the most about golf. And now that we have the WHS and I can track my handicap every step of the way on the app, I am even more obsessed. I fight for every shot now, even if its a case that the round is gone and it won't count for my top 8, I still fight.

I have a target this year to always shoot under 90. In the wind and the rain of Sunday I thought I might have been in danger and a year or two ago, I would have phoned it in, but I fought as hard as I could fight to come in with an 86 and despite missing a few short putts, I was dead pleased with it. It won't affect my handicap but it has given me so much confidence that I can grind out a round that looked to be getting away from me. In the old system, it would have been a 0.1 back and a guaranteed 95 as I wouldn't have cared.

So to answer the original question of what it means to me to be back golfing.... it means a lot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Break80

Everything is good with the world once again.
    I was lucky I could stay working this time but I hated the weekends, Sitting at the window looking out hitting the ball into the water on the third in my minds eye. NOW I CAN DO IT FOR REAL.
    I played the Monday we opened in shorts and tee shirt and had a solid round Downhill since then I,m afraid but not upset in the slightest.
    I just enjoy the routine of working all week and looking forward to getting out on the course, switching off and soaking in the sounds,smells and peace you find only on a golf course.
    Speaking of sounds. The 4th hole in my course is our 1st Par 5. The green is closest to a Zoo which is located on the island.
    I am not long enough to reach in 2 so I usually lay up to about 100 for my third shot in.
    Every time I play my 3rd shot there is some monkey starts schreeching on my back swing from the zoo.
    I don't know if he is horny or hungry or else he can see the ****e i'm playing and doing his best to make it worst.
    Sure enough since I got back the focker is waiting every time for me. God I missed him.

I can't wait for the social side of golf to come back which is a big side of the game for me as well.
    Friday fourball, lunch, 18 holes, dinner and an unhealthy amount of pints after. What more could you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Tempora wrote: »
    An 18 hole round pushing my trolley is basically a 12km hike with some great views and you get to play golf.

Great way to see it!

In a similar vein. 6 years ago I went on holiday to peru, did the inca trail, finally arrived in the incredible machu picchu. It was great and all, but I realised I had a golf problem when I arrived and all I could see was... fairways, teeboxes, landing areas, green complexes, run offs :D

87.jpg

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Great way to see it!

In a similar vein. 6 years ago I went on holiday to peru, did the inca trail, finally arrived in the incredible machu picchu. It was great and all, but I realised I had a golf problem when I arrived and all I could see was... fairways, teeboxes, landing areas, green complexes, run offs :D

87.jpg

Don’t remember you going there....... probably cause you didn’t bring me back a stick of rock ya miserable bollox :D

Rikand wrote: »
    My obsession with my handicap is one of the things I love the most about golf. And now that we have the WHS and I can track my handicap every step of the way on the app, I am even more obsessed. I fight for every shot now, even if its a case that the round is gone and it won't count for my top 8, I still fight.

I have a target this year to always shoot under 90. In the wind and the rain of Sunday I thought I might have been in danger and a year or two ago, I would have phoned it in, but I fought as hard as I could fight to come in with an 86 and despite missing a few short putts, I was dead pleased with it. It won't affect my handicap but it has given me so much confidence that I can grind out a round that looked to be getting away from me. In the old system, it would have been a 0.1 back and a guaranteed 95 as I wouldn't have cared.

So to answer the original question of what it means to me to be back golfing.... it means a lot :)

You should be breaking 80 every time ;)
    But I agree with you.
    I played a few casual games to get in the swing and then played for my handicap...... but 2 markers has no golf Ireland log in, so 2 scores sitting in limbo. playing with same guys still, so was no point in entering scores. but playing properly and would have made up for the couple of bad ones (just about)

But you make a good point, every shot counts now and your 86 might not affect your handicap now, but it may well do in 5 or 6 games time. I like it, you have to keep battling.

So the new handicap system is a big part of being back and also making it enjoyable for the casual game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

This is a nice thread to read after the last few months with no golf at all.

Bit different for me I suppose in that I've been away from the game since I stopped playing when I was around 15/16ish. I took the game terribly seriously then which in retrospect is what drove me away from it. When things went wrong I just lost it completely and sulked my way around the course, don't know how anyone put up with that ****e to be honest. I got promoted from junior 2 membership straight to playing with adults in weekend comps and the jump in standard as well as not knowing anyone drove me away from the game. I'm 34 now and have only played a few rounds casually here and there since and while I've always enjoyed it I never go the urge to join anywhere. A change in jobs mid-pandemic has afforded me more time and combined with a renewed interest I joined Carlow Golf Club earlier this year.

I've been out nearly every 2nd night since reopening, mostly on my own as I don't know many there yet and its been fantastic. I'm woeful, nowhere near what I used to be able to do but I don't care and it doesn't bother me at all when I play a bad shot. Its been a real boost to my mental health.

I'm out with my Dad this weekend for the first time in years and I can't wait for it. That sort of stuff is priceless IMO.

Hope to join up with some of you on the boards society next year all going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Seve OB wrote: »
    Don’t remember you going there....... probably cause you didn’t bring me back a stick of rock ya miserable bollox :D

I told you. It's literally documented someone here in boards where I tell you. I missed your tullamore outing because of it likely costing me the golfer of the year as I missed out by one point. So whatever big prize you won that year is on me. We've also been carpooling cross country where I told you about it :rolleyes:

BjhGEYaIgAAaZgu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭OEP

Rikand wrote: »

It's all about the handicap for me too, I don't like casual rounds. Having given up other competitive sports, I need to get my fix somewhere and trying to get as low as I can is where it get it from. That's what I love most about golf too, you're always competing against yourself, a constant quest to get better and you always have a benchmark - your handicap. GAA for example, your benchmark might only come once or twice a year when you get to a final (If winning a championship is your team's benchmark, which it was for mine).

• Advertisement

RoadRunner wrote: »
    I told you. It's literally documented someone here in boards where I tell you. I missed your tullamore outing because of it likely costing me the golfer of the year as I missed out by one point. So whatever big prize you won that year is on me. We've also been carpooling cross country where I told you about it :rolleyes:

BjhGEYaIgAAaZgu.jpg

Old age
    Alzheimer’s must be kicking in.
    Still don’t remember the stick of rock:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭cozar

The saying " happy wife, happy life" comes to mind.... And what makes the wife happy I hear you ask, well, it's me not being a grumpy old @##@.
    In all seriousness, golf is a large part of my free time.
    The banter with the lads, the ruminating over previous rounds, the dreaming of future rounds, the countless hours online looking at anything golf related and paige spiranac.....
    It's great to be back and seeing some decent golf if not being played by me and it's great to see the wife happy.

and what about all the lady golfers keeping their hubbies happy at home too? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

We are almost there

2140 hrs - hitting the last few practice putts, as the sun descended on another covid day. In the distance the last golfers a 4 ball, hit decent strikes on the 18th tee - that distinctive delay due to the speed of sound.

An easterly wind that seems to have no place in late May - a feeling of being alive and outdoors and cold.

The putts are a bit erratic - the game is a bit erratic - the body and mind are a bit erratic. But for once, you don't care, you are there , in the moment , present - enjoying a simple pleasure of an empty putting green. The odd one that makes you feel good, the odd pull that puts that doubt in the mind. The challenge , the mystery , the hope - thanks Phil at 50.

Above a slightly rusty unpainted flag pole at full mast , giving that distinctive rattle, full mast to say open, proud , for so long, not flying at all.

A total unnatural and peaceful silence around the clubhouse - a sad empty balcony - that should be full of fun and joy and laughter and life and - could you even consider a Bulmers on Ice - no! too early perhaps , too cold. "Nothing added but time".

As I hit the road - Bob Dylan ends the John Creedon show for his 80th birthday - the sound is turned up to the max -

There is hope, reflection and perfection for just one moment.

Bob sings with passion, anger, desire.

How does it feel, ah how does it feel?
    To be on your own, with no direction home
    Like a complete unknown, like a rolling stone

Not sure what all that has to do with the thread - but I guess that is what it means to be back.

Advertisement