Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Desert Island Discs is a great one. In and around 40mins per episode. Well known artists, musicians, sports people etc say what 8 tracks they'd take with them to a desert island and why. More recently they've thrown in a book and a luxury item on top of the 8 tracks. Episodes available all the way back to mid 60's

+1 for Desert Island Discs.

Other ones that I like are......

You’re Dead To Me. A mixture of history and comedy. From BBC4. They pick a historical figure/event/period and discuss with an expert (historian) and a comedian.

Louis Theroux. Brilliant interviews with public figures.

Where is George Gibney. A BBC/Irish collab about tracking down infamous Irish Swimming coach.

Americast. If you’re interested in US politics this is great. Obviously the heat is gone out of that one since last year but it’s a great way to keep up with US affairs.

Three Castles Burning. Irish historian Donal Fallon takes a deep dive into various Historical events in Dublin.

The Big Steal. Fantastic series about Putin and his take over of Russian politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

I listen to a few different podcasts.

Radiolab - put out by NPR in the states. Science, technology, nature. It's brilliant.

We are looking sideways - Action sports podcast (snowboarding, surfing, skateboarding etc) . Lovely conversation.

The Grey Nato - 2 chaps talking about gear, watches, travel, diving and adventure.

The Memory Palace - Fantastic history podcasts that are super short (less than 15/20min). Really well made and edited.

Stuff you should know - wide variety of topics

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭ariana`

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Thanks. My running pace and motivation have taken a nose dive since the start of the year - bringing my pace down with them!! Hoping to improve my pace a bit and also build up my confidence with hills in general.

I don't know much about hills but maybe try find an event in 8 weeks or so (probably a virtual event or TT) and follow a plan to train for it. I think a plan and a goal are the best tickets for motivation. The goal doesn't have to be time related - maybe you don't need the pressure of that right now, aim to enjoy it more than the last time you raced that distance, or aim to finish strong (make the last mile or km your fastest), or run the hills stronger than the flats, or smile the whole way around ;):)

In the meantime during the training try running some new routes, arrange to meet a friend to run with once a week, run in a scenic place as often as you can, run somewhere you can get a nice takeaway coffee after your run and enjoy a few minutes of time to yourself...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

Folks, what do people do to keep the weight off when they're injured? Cycling isn't an option and swimming isn't much better. I can walk and may start incorporating more into the daily routine (to or from work). Any home workouts I could try?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Butterbeans

Itziger wrote: »
    Folks, what do people do to keep the weight off when they're injured? Cycling isn't an option and swimming isn't much better. I can walk and may start incorporating more into the daily routine (to or from work). Any home workouts I could try?

Diet could be important here. Regular exercise can often mask flaws in the diet and then when the exercise stops for whatever reason it can catch you quick enough, speaking from experience here.
    Small changes are usually all that's required. Eat to satisfaction, not because you have to clean the plate, cut back on the junk if you do partake (who doesn't), eat more fruit and veg and whole foods, and all that stuff. Definitely not advocating dieting in any form, just a common sense approach to eating.

Maybe you do all that, just my tuppence. I wouldn't have any great advice on home workouts. Hope the injury is short term!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭sk8board

Running socks: Has anyone used Danish Endurance?
    Seems similar materials used to Steigen. Well priced multipacks on Amazon at the mo.

“Material Composition: 50% Prolen, 45% Polyamide, 5% Elastane“

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

I would agree, having a balanced diet is key. Daily steps are also important so I would set a daily target & stick to it. Weights are also good, a gentle beginners program to start off & you don't need lots of equipment. I do a beginner's 15min weights program i found on you tube(there are lots to choose from) whilst also doing core stability work, the whole lot takes less than an hour. There are then lots of ways to advance from this by using bands & increasing intensity etc. Plus when you get back running you will feel stronger!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

If you’ve access to a punchbag boxing routines are great.

Careful monitor what you’re eating (this is the biggest factor for me)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Slideways

On the subject of podcasts there’s 3 aussies here who have one.

Inside running podcast is what it’s called. Some of the content is a bit aus biased but they are straight talkers. Have shoe/gear reviews, runners questions and interview famous runners including Sinead Diver

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Would anyone have advise for what kind of distances/times to aim for when getting back to doing some jogging?

I have taken the last few months off training with injury, didn't watch the diet well enough and packed on about 6 kg so looking to run that off.

I find my calves hurt more than they used to! I have gone for 8 jogs over the last 2 weeks, ranging from 3.7-5.5km depending on how my calves are feeling basically.

Is it just a case of knocking the rust off or is there something that would help me build back up to being able to do a few k without much hassle?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

I would suggest run-walking for a bit to get back into it. Sore calves are to be expected really but they should only be tired sore, not injured sore
    What shoes are you wearing. A low drop shoe will load the calf up as will shoes that have seen better days

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Would anyone have advise for what kind of distances/times to aim for when getting back to doing some jogging?

I have taken the last few months off training with injury, didn't watch the diet well enough and packed on about 6 kg so looking to run that off.

I find my calves hurt more than they used to! I have gone for 8 jogs over the last 2 weeks, ranging from 3.7-5.5km depending on how my calves are feeling basically.

Is it just a case of knocking the rust off or is there something that would help me build back up to being able to do a few k without much hassle?

I've only just got back into it myself and I really can't recommend the CouchTo5k programme enough.
    Looking at those distances you could probably start on one of the later weeks on a walk/run.

I had started on week 6 (I think) but an unrelated injury knocked me out for over 2 months so I just went back to start of it when I was allowed to. Now on week 8.

Is there any "foolproof" breathing tips to follow?

I'm only just about at 5k distance now (I don't think I'll run past 10ks) but my breathing needs a lot of work.
    If I run with someone and we're talking here and there it's better, on my own I almost sound as bad 5 mins in than I do 25 mins.
    I've tried the count each 3 or 4 steps but I fall away from it. Is it just a matter of concentration and practice?

I would say exactly the opposite. Let your breathing come as it needs to.
    You can practice taking big belly breaths when you’re not running as shallow breathing will cause you issues while running. There’s lots of videos on YouTube to describe the above

Ah, "general" breathing is something I had meant to look into alright.
    I'll take a dig around at lunch time.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Re: breathing tips.

When running the impacts tends to make it tougher to breathe well.

Many I have advised, who feel chest tightness, tend to not breath out well.
    By looking for more oxygen they breath in again too early, and so inflate over time.
    (similar to asthma style)

So make sure you breathe out well, try two strides breath out and one stride breath in.
    This may work , but as ever all advice needs to be tested and individualised.

Yes, do practice when not running as well, to improve technique and strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Hi all, similar question to above, looking for your recommendations on running socks? Best brand, particularly for stopping blisters, tight fit etc.

Finding once I hit 20-25km running, I get blisters inside of arch without fail. I've now put it down to the standard white socks I wear when running, they are probably not as tight as they could be. Compeed helps if I put it on before running but it has to be well on, or else it just shifts in the sock that's nearly worse! Thanks in advance! Planning a marathon this year or next and while I feel my legs can do it, I don't think I'll survive the blisters if I don't sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Hi all, similar question to above, looking for your recommendations on running socks? Best brand, particularly for stopping blisters, tight fit etc.

Finding once I hit 20-25km running, I get blisters inside of arch without fail. I've now put it down to the standard white socks I wear when running, they are probably not as tight as they could be. Compeed helps if I put it on before running but it has to be well on, or else it just shifts in the sock that's nearly worse! Thanks in advance! Planning a marathon this year or next and while I feel my legs can do it, I don't think I'll survive the blisters if I don't sort it out.

Do you get blisters from your current running shoes or have you always got blister. You could change the inner liner or insert tonsee if this would help. Some shoes have a higher arch which can cause blisters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

I swear by 1000 mile socks. Usually pick them up when they're on sale on mandmdirect, twin pack around €9/€10. Well worth it.

razorblunt wrote: »
    I've only just got back into it myself and I really can't recommend the CouchTo5k programme enough.
    Looking at those distances you could probably start on one of the later weeks on a walk/run.

I had started on week 6 (I think) but an unrelated injury knocked me out for over 2 months so I just went back to start of it when I was allowed to. Now on week 8.

Cheers, I'm not familiar with the app itself but from a quick look on the play store there seems to be a good few of them, are they all pretty much the same?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

Slideways wrote: »
    I would suggest run-walking for a bit to get back into it. Sore calves are to be expected really but they should only be tired sore, not injured sore
    What shoes are you wearing. A low drop shoe will load the calf up as will shoes that have seen better days

My right calf tends to feel tired sore, but the left one is worse. My shoes, not sure of the actual name but they are a decent pair of Nike running shoes, I have had them a while though so maybe need to upgrade the footwear also.

Ceepo wrote: »
    Do you get blisters from your current running shoes or have you always got blister. You could change the inner liner or insert tonsee if this would help. Some shoes have a higher arch which can cause blisters.

Have always got them, both feet. Have trail runners and normal runners now and both do it, the trail runners would be a flatter arch too. Will be changing the running shoes soon as well so plan on mentioning at the shop anyway but I think socks could be the issue as they are run of the mill bargain stuff. Thanks .

rizzee wrote: »
    I swear by 1000 mile socks. Usually pick them up when they're on sale on mandmdirect, twin pack around €9/€10. Well worth it.

Thanks! I will have a look at them, can only help! Appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I use Steigen and find them great for comfort and reducing/nullifying blisters in longs runs.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I use Steigen and find them great for comfort and reducing/nullifying blisters in longs runs.

Thanks just looking them up now too.

They are on offer at the moment btw, 9.95.

Cheers, I'm not familiar with the app itself but from a quick look on the play store there seems to be a good few of them, are they all pretty much the same?

Yes, they should be. Some might vary the intervals week by week. For example my friend in Dublin's app has him running an 18 min block, 2 min walk, 5 min run on week 7 but my week 7 was one solid 25 min run on 3 separate days (I'm in the UK, so I'm using the BBC one, they look to have acquired the official app).
    They should all effectively end on Week 9 with 30 min continuous runs, max or a completed 5k if quicker than that.

I'm happy to send you the weekly breakdowns on DM if you want and you can just manage them yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

They are on offer at the moment btw, 9.95.

I have a drawer full of them at the moment, I think I'll be killed if I get any more....

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭FinnC

I have a drawer full of them at the moment, I think I'll be killed if I get any more....

The key to buying more running gear is always to get the other half something also. That way they never seem to mind in my experience anyway!

• Advertisement

razorblunt wrote: »
    Yes, they should be. Some might vary the intervals week by week. For example my friend in Dublin's app has him running an 18 min block, 2 min walk, 5 min run on week 7 but my week 7 was one solid 25 min run on 3 separate days (I'm in the UK, so I'm using the BBC one, they look to have acquired the official app).
    They should all effectively end on Week 9 with 30 min continuous runs, max or a completed 5k if quicker than that.

I'm happy to send you the weekly breakdowns on DM if you want and you can just manage them yourself.

Thanks, I downloaded the C25K app that seems to have the most downloads in my play store so will check that out and see how it goes from there - appreciate the help!

Advertisement