Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

It's not over Fred! Six Nations games set to return to RTÉ.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Mav11

Great news, I can stop having to watch it and listen to sh1te commentary on ITV or BBC, for the HD.

• Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This is good.

Never liked the VM coverage, can't stand listening to Quinlan, always used to watch the games on BBC if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Is that plank Daire O'Brien going to be involved? I sure hope not.

Inserted himself to have the last word on RTE's final coverage montage, ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Great news if the U20s gets proper coverage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

awec wrote: »
    This is good.

Never liked the VM coverage, can't stand listening to Quinlan, always used to watch the games on BBC if possible.
    Read it again. RTE and VM will be sharing the coverage. So half the games will still be on VM.
    Subject to final contractual agreements, it is envisaged that all three Championships will be shared in a balanced way which will see RTÉ again broadcast games from the Men’s Guinness Six Nations, while Virgin Media Television will diversify its coverage to include the Women’s Six Nations and Men’s Under 20’s Championships for the first time

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Read it again. RTE and VM will be sharing the coverage. So half the games will still be on VM.

Yes I know, but this is at least an improvement on all the games being on VM.

Hopefully between RTE and BBC I'll be able to avoid VM entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭roverjoyce

Literally just announced on the news. RTÉ and Virgin TV will be sharing coverage, to include some U 20 and Women's games to air on Virgin.

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2021/05/10/six-nations-enters-talks-with-rte-and-virgin-media/

Who is paying for this?
    If the other teams go PPV do they get to keep that money
    Could be a huge loss for the IRFU

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭PMC83

Is it just Ireland games or the lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭scott1974

Is that plank Daire O'Brien going to be involved? I sure hope not.

Inserted himself to have the last word on RTE's final coverage montage, ugh.

"Go Easy"....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

So George Hook included? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

scott1974 wrote: »
    "Go Easy"....

If only there was the opposite of a "Thank post" button.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

roverjoyce wrote: »
    Who is paying for this?

TV and radio broadcasters pay for it themselves, with the monies going into the Six Nations Committee to be divvied up by them in their usual uneven basis.

Pay Per View coverage for events hasn't taken off in Europe and were always going to be a non runner for more than one reason. Even going with subscription or paywall TV coverage brings forward issues, which strengthens the hand of free to air TV networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Might get to hear this again!

https://youtu.be/E5L8zFL4GSI?t=30

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

roverjoyce wrote: »
    Who is paying for this?

I don't think these rights were the IRFUs to sell.

I think the 6Ns negotiate their TV rights as a collective. This would be the Irish TV rights. The UK, French and Italian TV rights would all be separate, but I think the money is split evenly.

It would be interesting if the UK rights when to Sky and Ireland fans in NI ended up having to pay more to watch the 6Ns. It's happened before with the Autumn Internationals.

Then again I'd be surprised if the UK rights to go to BBC/ITV again if that's what has happened with the Irish rights. For example Sky would surely have been going for the Irish rights as well as the UK rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,795 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I can't detect from the coverage how long this deal is for, 2022 until......?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I hate that VM is in not in HD...unless you pay for a TV subscription. I would like to watch it but end up watching BBC or ITV for the HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Mav11

KaneToad wrote: »
    I hate that VM is in not in HD...unless you pay for a TV subscription. I would like to watch it but end up watching BBC or ITV for the HD.

Yeah, a bit like the Pro14 on TG4, saving the good stuff for those who pay a TV subscription. TV license money is not enough!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭TRC10

ILikeBoats wrote: »

What!!! That's by Hans Zimmer???

But the melody is the same as Ireland's call? Must just be a coincidence hence why RTÉ chose it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It’s not Ireland’s Call, it sounds a bit like it but it’s actually the theme from the Kurt Russell firefighting movie Backdraft, “Fighting 17th”. Actually predates Ireland’s Call by four years.

Unfortunately it was very quietly dropped recently, think it was last used for the 2018 AIs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Melodeon

KaneToad wrote: »

This exactly! VM can feck right off until they implement HD on Saorview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

icdg wrote: »
    Unfortunately it was very quietly dropped recently, think it was last used for the 2018 AIs.

Yeah I noticed it wasn't on the latest RTE coverage, I even tweeted RTE asking why, they never replied.
    I love that music coming in and out of the ad breaks etc, reminds me of great Saturdays in pubs around Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Melodeon wrote: »
    This exactly! VM can feck right off until they implement HD on Saorview.

They are such b**tards. I vow never pay a cent to them.

Anyway I'm flat out against paying any subscription to watch sport.
    The day the 6N goes behind a paywall will be the beginning of a slow but steady decline for rugby in Ireland.

I can't believe i never realised that music was from Backdraft!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

The day the 6N goes behind a paywall will be the beginning of a slow but steady decline for rugby in Ireland.

i'd wonder how true that would be if/when that were the case. think very similar things were said when the heineken cup left rte after the 2006 final and i dont think that had too much of an adverse affect. a large portion of the audience for 6N games are most likely the 'casual' rugby fan who probably would never watch a provincial game let alone get involved with their local club. Maybe the decreased exposure would have an effect on kids getting interested in the game if theyre not watching it

having said that i hope it stays FTA

I've read the pro's and con's and heard all the "grow the game"....money will filter back down to the grass roots bollix talk.
    Simply put the more people that watch it the more the sport grows.
    Particularly a minority sport i.e. Not GAA or Soccer

As for the HCup - The very fact that it was first on FTA was one of the most significant factors in creating the cultural movement here in Ireland to support the provinces e.g. Limerick and Cork club supporters fully invested in Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

I've read the pro's and con's and heard all the "grow the game"....money will filter back down to the grass roots bollix talk
    i recall garrett fitzgerald among others saying at the time that if european games stayed FTA we would most likely start losing the majority of our top players as the money simply wouldnt be available to compete with english teams

id agree in general, but we have a massive amount of fair-weather/casual fans who only follow the national team - soccer/gaa fans who watch the international games but would never actually play the game or go to a provincial match. the last rwc was a prime example of this, i knew large numbers of people who went but would barely be able to tell you which province most of the players actually played for.
    As for the HCup - The very fact that it was first on FTA was one of the most significant factors in creating the cultural movement here in Ireland to support the provinces e.g. Limerick and Cork club supporters fully invested in Munster.
    im sure it played a role, but in fairness munster's history of performances against touring teams meant it always had a decent(ish) support

• Registered Users Posts: 23,795 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I've read the pro's and con's and heard all the "grow the game"....money will filter back down to the grass roots bollix talk.
    Particularly a minority sport i.e. Not GAA or Soccer

Absolutely right. In the early 2000s it was superb winter sports coverage to have on RTÉ.

Hopefully the Rugby powers that be have learned, from the Super League debacle in Football if nothing else, that there is a limit to which fans will tolerate the privatisation and commoditisation of their sport and that there is absolutely NOT limitless money in people's pockets to go PPV

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Yeah I noticed it wasn't on the latest RTE coverage, I even tweeted RTE asking why, they never replied.
    I love that music coming in and out of the ad breaks etc, reminds me of great Saturdays in pubs around Dublin

It lasted a very long time - 14 years I think! Not sure why they’ve dropped it.

On a broader note interesting to see that the AIs weren’t included in this deal even though they have been centralised too. If I were a betting man, I’d now put money on BBC/ITV to retain the Six Nations rights in the U.K., and for Sky or Amazon (but probably not BT Sport) to go for the AIs (or Autumn Nations Series as the WRU at any rate seem to be referring to them).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

Liam Toland joining Virgin's commentary team for this would be heavenly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭TRC10

icdg wrote: »
    It’s not Ireland’s Call, it sounds a bit like it but it’s actually the theme from the Kurt Russell firefighting movie Backdraft, “Fighting 17th”. Actually predates Ireland’s Call by four years.

I never said it was Ireland's call. I said in the snippet they used, the melody was the same as in Ireland's call

Advertisement