Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Anything really but specifically to study

are you doing a course now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    are you doing a course now?

Yes but I just realised that I have a problem. I have a super important appointment the same day of the exam..

Why did I not think of this at the time

Yes but I just realised that I have a problem. I have a super important appointment the same day of the exam..

Why did I not think of this at the time

sh!te, can reschedule the appointment?

sh!te, can reschedule the appointment?

Tried on Friday but doesn't look like it at present

Tried on Friday but doesn't look like it at present

sh1te

• Advertisement

sh1te

I should've put more thought into it at the beginning. Can't think clearly these days

I should've put more thought into it at the beginning. Can't think clearly these days

ah its hard to when your mind is muddled, try no panic, solutions will appear

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Echoing Wanderer here, a solution is there, you'll make headway with it tomorrow..

Echoing Wanderer here, a solution is there, you'll make headway with it tomorrow..

Indeed grem, I could do with a good night's sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I've been on citalopram for 12 days now for anxiety. I like drinking whiskey but I've stopped. Do any of you guys drink whilst on this or does it cause bad side effects. NHS say you can but the FDA say not to so I'm just looking for opinions.

• Advertisement

cloudatlas wrote: »
    I've been on citalopram for 12 days now for anxiety. I like drinking whiskey but I've stopped. Do any of you guys drink whilst on this or does it cause bad side effects. NHS say you can but the FDA say not to so I'm just looking for opinions.

Was on citalopram years ago back in college, I would get drunk very easy and the hangovers were 2-3 days long.

If I stuck to max 4 beers, and kept hydrated I would normally be fine, but no mad beering (which is tough in college to avoid!). I'd always be the first to leave the pub or party

Had to give up the beer few years ago, was becoming too depressed post drinking, I do miss a pint from time to time, but generally don't care about it now. Think it's generally advised not to be drinking on antidepressants

Had to give up the beer few years ago, was becoming too depressed post drinking, I do miss a pint from time to time, but generally don't care about it now. Think it's generally advised not to be drinking on antidepressants

Okay thanks, it's a preference more than a necessity so I'm totally fine with staying dry for however long I need to be on this. It's for the best.

cloudatlas wrote:
    Okay thanks, it's a preference more than a necessity so I'm totally fine with staying dry for however long I need to be on this. It's for the best.

A therapist has told me in the past, I'd be fine with a pint or two, but to be honest, I've had so many bad experiences with alcohol, I'd rather not now

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Is there any therapy/counselling services that doesn't involve any of that new age crap like CBT or similar? Every single counsellor I've gone to has eventually gone down that route, and I'm sick of it. It doesn't work for me, all I want is someone to talk to. Someone that isn't afraid of asking me really rough questions. Someone who is willing to leave absolutely no stone unturned when it comes to what goes through my mind. Of all the people I've gone to, the small fortune I've spent throughout the years, none of them have come close to this. They just go down the CBT or similar route ASAP, despite telling them I just want someone to talk to. To explore everything from every point of my life. My hatred, my anger, my guilt, my desires. To explore every thought, regardless of how uncomfortable it might be. "How do you feel about that?". I don't recall any one of them even asking me such a simple question. Someone who explores every piece of the jigsaw of the mind, and explores each individual one 110% before moving on.. .. .. Is that so much to ask?

Not feeling the best lads and ladies.

Slept all weekend, have lost interest in everything

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Not feeling the best lads and ladies.

Slept all weekend, have lost interest in everything

Sorry to hear this One More Toy. I hope you can pull yourself out of this one. If its any help, when im feeling really low I have a to do list that really gets me through it.
    Take a shower
    Clean something
    Change bed sheets
    Make a meal from scratch
    Watch a movie/TV show
    Text someone
    Go for a walk
    Make a goal list for the next week/month/6 months ect..

Try it, it does help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Is there any therapy/counselling services that doesn't involve any of that new age crap like CBT or similar? Every single counsellor I've gone to has eventually gone down that route, and I'm sick of it. It doesn't work for me, all I want is someone to talk to. Someone that isn't afraid of asking me really rough questions. Someone who is willing to leave absolutely no stone unturned when it comes to what goes through my mind. Of all the people I've gone to, the small fortune I've spent throughout the years, none of them have come close to this. They just go down the CBT or similar route ASAP, despite telling them I just want someone to talk to. To explore everything from every point of my life. My hatred, my anger, my guilt, my desires. To explore every thought, regardless of how uncomfortable it might be. "How do you feel about that?". I don't recall any one of them even asking me such a simple question. Someone who explores every piece of the jigsaw of the mind, and explores each individual one 110% before moving on.. .. .. Is that so much to ask?

Youre looking for a psychotherapist not a counsellor. You'll have to pay extra, they can charge from 70 - 150 per session.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lucalux

As above, Psychotherapy is very different than counselling generally.

Have a look here, https://iacp.ie/

Then under 'Find A Therapist', you can filter by your issue, for example anger management etc
    You can see their qualifications. Some might have a Diploma in the specific area, or a Bachelors degree, others have a Masters or whatever

Call them then, and ask what you asked here. See how they respond, and go from there maybe.

A lot of it is down to the personal relationship between two people, like life, sometimes we just 'click' with some people. You might get some idea of that over the phone. Best of luck with the search

I've been on citalopram for 21 days now and it has helped my ibs but my sleep is broken, every morning I wake at 4 am etc., and I still feel a bit of nausea. Does that go away?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Purple is a Fruit

cloudatlas wrote: »
    I've been on citalopram for 21 days now and it has helped my ibs but my sleep is broken, every morning I wake at 4 am etc., and I still feel a bit of nausea. Does that go away?
    Hey Cloud, I find Citalopram brilliant anyway and I sleep very well on it.

Actually got the symptoms of IBS recently due to food poisoning combined with side effects of an antibiotic I just finished.

Sweet baby Jesus - my heart goes out to people experiencing those utterly agonising spasms on a constant basis. I'm glad to read the Citalopram is helping. It's one of the drugs with the least side effects so all the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Hi all long time. I'm currently trying to come off the antidepressant Citalopram just wondering if anyone has any experience? I want to go from 10mg to 5mg then keep reducing but can't get it in liquid form - do you try and cut the 10mg in half?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Ask in pharmacy about pill splitters, hope you are linking in frequently with your doc, best of luck..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

fr336 wrote: »
    Hi all long time. I'm currently trying to come off the antidepressant Citalopram just wondering if anyone has any experience? I want to go from 10mg to 5mg then keep reducing but can't get it in liquid form - do you try and cut the 10mg in half?

It is available as 40 mg/ml oral drops. Each drop contains 2 mg. It isn’t usually in stock in pharmacies but if your doctor prescribes it they should be able to order it in a couple of days.

Ask in pharmacy about pill splitters, hope you are linking in frequently with your doc, best of luck..

My GP "recommended" to skip a day, then every third day, fourth day etc. Not something I want to attempt yet. Luckily today I found a pill splitter! I wasn't too hopeful to get one on the high street and almost didn't bother (that's depression for you - "you won't find one, it won't work properly etc") - but it worked great and split it exactly in half. So hopefully 5mg for a while, then 2.5 and off. I know it may take a while but I want to feel myself again. This drug helped my mum hugely with panic attacks but for me no.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Anyone else's sleep gone to crap for the last few weeks?

Have no idea what's going on with me, but my sleep is all over the place. Excessive sleep, that messes me up.

Anyone else's sleep gone to crap for the last few weeks?

Mine has really settled down now, and for a long time to, I've been sticking to the same routine, and it's working, thank god, nothing worse than crappy sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Mine has really settled down now, and for a long time to, I've been sticking to the same routine, and it's working, thank god, nothing worse than crappy sleep

It's been going on for weeks now, and it's especially frustrating in that I'm meant to be helping someone out on a project, since March. I've been working away at it (its not paid, just doing a favour) but it feels like I'm slow as hell on it. Like, I've had all sorts of stuff happen that's thrown me off, and this in turn messed me up.

Sorry to hear this One More Toy. I hope you can pull yourself out of this one. If its any help, when im feeling really low I have a to do list that really gets me through it.
    Take a shower
    Clean something
    Change bed sheets
    Make a meal from scratch
    Watch a movie/TV show
    Text someone
    Go for a walk
    Make a goal list for the next week/month/6 months ect..

Try it, it does help.

Can recommend. Lot to be said for housework when you're down in the dumps. Achieving something as little as getting the ironing done can really lift your mood. Maybe not majorly, but just enough. If I'm feeling a bit low TV or films can help but if I'm seriously bad I need something less passive. PS The ironing works best with radio :D

• Advertisement

It's been going on for weeks now, and it's especially frustrating in that I'm meant to be helping someone out on a project, since March. I've been working away at it (its not paid, just doing a favour) but it feels like I'm slow as hell on it. Like, I've had all sorts of stuff happen that's thrown me off, and this in turn messed me up.

be kind to yourself, you re doing your best, sleep deprivation is horrible, i become virtually non functioning from it

Advertisement