Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advertising car up north or in the UK

Options
  • 09-05-2021 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering. Am I wasting my time trying to sell my car up North or in the UK? It's not eligible for VRT rebate as it was imported on a VRT waiver by the original owner.

It's a 2009 370Z, so the mahoosive annual tax bill is understandably making it a difficult sell here in ROI.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭User1998

I recently advertised a car on Gumtree UK and a fella flew over and bought it. That being said it was on a UK reg so a bit different.

Also a UK buyer will have to pay import charges because of Brexit making it a bit more difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If the car originally came from the UK or NI then it makes it easier to sell back there as the dials don't have to be converted to mph for registering it on UK/NI plates afaik. If it's an original ROI reg car with kph speedometer then there is more hassle involved to put it on UK plates so less interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,170 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Have you tried putting it up for sale here already?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭alanmc

bazz26 wrote: »
    If the car originally came from the UK or NI then it makes it easier to sell back there as the dials don't have to be converted to mph for registering it on UK/NI plates afaik. If it's an original ROI reg car with kph speedometer then there is more hassle involved to put it on UK plates so less interest.

Originally a South African car with a KPH speedo. Never easy, is it? Ugggh!

Have you tried putting it up for sale here already?

I have. I got nothing but very lowball and (frankly some ludicrous) partex offers. I had no interest in partex. Usual DoneDeal BS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

alanmc wrote: »
    Originally a South African car with a KPH speedo. Never easy, is it? Ugggh!

Going to be difficult for a UK person to register it. They have a car manufacturing industry and require a lot of hoops to jump through to register imports. A friend brought over an Irish bike and became he couldn't get the Certificate of Conformity it cost him a good bit to get on UK plates. A South African car will be a lot of hassle so they will not offer much.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Going to be difficult for a UK person to register it. They have a car manufacturing industry and require a lot of hoops to jump through to register imports. A friend brought over an Irish bike and became he couldn't get the Certificate of Conformity it cost him a good bit to get on UK plates. A South African car will be a lot of hassle so they will not offer much.

Confirms my suspicions. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I cannot answer your question but the first thing i would do is...
    Go to dvla website as most info there.
    It may be possible to get original reg back on car...
    Just a thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I cannot answer your question but the first thing i would do is...
    Go to dvla website as most info there.
    It may be possible to get original reg back on car...
    Just a thought...

It's a South African car not UK

Advertisement