Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Footpaths

Options
  • 05-04-2021 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

Hi

Our builder put down footpaths for us 6 months ago for a newbuild. At the start everything was fine. But then we got some frost in early February that pitted the concrete and the surface of the footpaths corroded badly especially at the very rear of the house. The cement scaled off the surface and looks real crap now.

I notified my builder and he said they would need be redone. However this problem is happening also to a minor degree in other areas of the footpaths around the house too. Small dents of concrete are chipping and eroding out of the surface as well on other areas of our footpaths around the house.. My builder isn't too keen in replacing all the footpaths around the house. I not happy in how the footpaths have turned out and corroded in this short space of time and they have turned out crap as the time progresses.

I have requested all the footpaths around the house to be redone again and done properly. Is this a genuine request seeing that the problem is emerging in other parts of the footpaths around the house as well? I have paid alot of money for this house so hence I ask the question. Final stage payment withheld.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Amprodude wrote: »
    Hi

Our builder put down footpaths for us 6 months ago for a newbuild. At the start everything was fine. But then we got some frost in early February that pitted the concrete and the surface of the footpaths corroded badly especially at the very rear of the house. The cement scaled off the surface and looks real crap now.

I notified my builder and he said they would need be redone. However this problem is happening also to a minor degree in other areas around the house too. Smalle dents of concrete are chipping and eroding out of the surface as well on other areas of footpaths around the house.. My builder isn't keen in replacing all the footpaths around the house. I not happy in how the footpaths have turned out and corroded in this short space of time and they are turning out crap as time progresses.

I have requested all the footpaths around the house to be redone again and done properly. Is this a genuine request seeing that the problem is emerging in other parts of the footpaths around the house as well?

Could be down to concrete mix supplied or overworking when putting in or weather conditions during curing period.
    Did builder supply the concrete?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

mickdw wrote: »
    Could be down to concrete mix supplied or overworking when putting in or weather conditions during curing period.
    Did builder supply the concrete?

Everything supplied by the builder.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Amprodude wrote: »
    Everything supplied by the builder.

Well at least he cannot blame it on concrete you got for him then.
    I think its fair enough to seek replacement however it is quite a common defect and generally over time, the entire surface wears away to match.

mickdw wrote: »
    Well at least he cannot blame it on concrete you got for him then.
    I think its fair enough to seek replacement however it is quite a common defect and generally over time, the entire surface wears away to match.

Can you get any compound to add that would fix the problem and wouldn't be noticeable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭PMBC

Is it a rolled or brushed finish on the footpaths? What time of they year were they laid?

• Advertisement

PMBC wrote: »
    Is it a rolled or brushed finish on the footpaths? What time of they year were they laid?

Brushed finish. October

PMBC wrote: »

If there was something to patch it up without making it noticed. I know that's more than likely impossible when dealing with concrete.

Advertisement