Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best website for ordering bike stuff

• 08-05-2021 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Which of these sites would be the best for ordering stuff in terms of prices, availability of stock, delivery times and avoidance of any brexit related taxes?

Bike Discount
    Bike Components
    Bike 24
    Mantel
    Rose Bikes
    Deporvillage
    Allricks
    Sigma Sports
    Wiggle
    Chain Reaction Cycles

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭TontoMurphy

Always found bike24 pretty good...
    ChainReaction owned by Wiggle now so everything coming from UK warehouses.
    Haven't shopped on the others, but have been on bikediscount and bikecomponents, prices are fairly reasonable. Both in EU so no brexit charges

• Registered Users Posts: 24 juicer

Is bike24 not also owned by wiggle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Chain reaction 2-3 days delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've used a few of them and my preference was always for Chain Reaction but lately I've been using Alltricks a lot more. Alltricks usually have better prices than CRC but minimum order for free delivery is €150 otherwise a delivery charge of €6 applies. So sometimes it works out better to pay a bit more for an item at CRC to avail of free delivery. Delivery from Alltricks is usually one week and trackable by Chronopost/DPD. CRC have a faster delivery (3 days) but tracking isn't really needed because once it shows on Fastway then it'll be delivered the following morning.

I've used Mantel in the past with no issues but for some reason I always seem to overlook them when pricing/ordering stuff.

Bike24 are excellent but there's always that €10 delivery no matter the order value. They've an excellent range of stock.

Onbike.nl (clothing only) are also quite good although the range of product is less than others.

I've a few bits I want to order in the next few days and I'll start with Alltricks and compare with CRC. Then I'll compare with others if I feel the need.

However, I will always check the price with Cycle Superstore and if the price is similar then I'll order from them using click and collect. Unfortunately. they are usually so much more expensive that I cant justify using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I've been using Mantel more than anyone at the moment. Seem to have reasonable stock and have been on the lower end of prices for anything I've bought and they're quick on delivery too. Free shipping over €75.

I've also been using Bike Components but they haven't had particular items I've wanted in stock.

ProBikeKit have decent prices but very limited selection of products from what I can see, waiting 4 days for them to even ship wheels and tyres so they're not as quick as others. Free shipping over £90.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

juicer wrote: »
    Is bike24 not also owned by wiggle?

They sold it on again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Wheres the best place to buy chainrings for a road 8 speed triple? Can't seem to find them for sale anywhere or else wont ship here.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Wheres the best place to buy chainrings for a road 8 speed triple?

Best place is around 2008 ;)

Seriously though, road triples are obsolete now, so you'll have to search in areas that sell new-old-stock and collectible stuff such as ebay and bankruptbikeparts.co.uk (although Brexit is an issue there).

You should consider a whole triple chainset, as it'll probably be cheaper than 2 or 3 rings and you won't have to limit your search to rings that will fit your existing crank spider. Here's a selection - although that site is more for high-end collectible stuff, they often have everyday stuff at good prices because it's not considered collectible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭joey100

Looking at ordering on all tricks, they seem to have stock that no one else has anywhere in Europe. I've emailed them to confirm if they actually have the stock but in the meantime does anyone have experience of them with things like this? Is their stock levels normally accurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Macy0161

TheW1zard wrote: »
    Chain reaction 2-3 days delivery
    My last order(s), I ordered from Bike Discount and Chain Reaction within half an hour of each other. I got the German order a day or two earlier (albeit paid delivery rather than free).

I've had a few poor experiences post brexit ordering from the UK in terms of delivery delays. And additionally, at least with EU orders we have ensured consumer protection.

• Advertisement

Been using Bike24 this year with no problem, the last order from sigma sports got impounded by customs and took a lot of effort to get it delivered, was only 2 jerseys, had been using sigma sport for years previously

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I've been using Mantel more than anyone at the moment. Seem to have reasonable stock and have been on the lower end of prices for anything I've bought and they're quick on delivery too. Free shipping over €75.

I've also been using Bike Components but they haven't had particular items I've wanted in stock.

ProBikeKit have decent prices but very limited selection of products from what I can see, waiting 4 days for them to even ship wheels and tyres so they're not as quick as others. Free shipping over £90.

Got a second order delayed email from ProBikeKit regarding a set of tyres. Now showing as out of stock on their website and I can't cancel the order as it's processing. Funny enough Amazon have them in the size I want so I might get my sister to order them with her Prime and have them here in two days!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭Junior

One thing to mention CRC are using Fastway and they have a habit of delivering packages to random addresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭griffin100

I’ve used Bikeinn for a few bits recently. It’s Spanish but no problems with delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

In mid-Feb, I ordered two SRAM PC-1170 chains from Rose. They said they were out of stock for 3 weeks.

I checked during April, and they were listed as "out of stock".

Yesterday, I got an email saying that they wouldn't be in for another 22 weeks (early Oct) :eek:

I bought two PC-1130's at my LBS, as I needed a new chain, and will let the order continue, as I'll hopefully get them before those two 1130's are worn out :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Type 17 wrote: »
    In mid-Feb, I ordered two SRAM PC-1170 chains from Rose. They said they were out of stock for 3 weeks.

I checked during April, and they were listed as "out of stock".

Yesterday, I got an email saying that they wouldn't be in for another 22 weeks (early Oct) :eek:

I bought two PC-1130's at my LBS, as I needed a new chain, and will let the order continue, as I'll hopefully get them before those two 1130's are worn out :pac:
    Had the same problems with Rose recently.

Ordered three items, two in stock and the third due to arrive in three weeks. While waiting for the third item, the first two went out of stock, third item didn't ship at all either.

One of the original items eventually came in mid-April (order was also mid-Feb), the other two just say "delivery date in clarification".

No support at all - just check your order status (which has never updated from "delivery date in clarification") & excuses about Suez, covid etc. Had ordered the same part from R2 (another German website) and they would automatically send an email every week with expected delivery dates. Their reasons do not justify the lack of communication in my view. I had always found them good before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 brooke72

360cycles or thebikeshop

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Junior wrote: »
    One thing to mention CRC are using Fastway and they have a habit of delivering packages to random addresses.

I've heard plenty tales of woe involving Fastway but I've never experienced any issues with delivery. I find them great as a courier.

Data protection - sin sceal eile.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭philten

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Wheres the best place to buy chainrings for a road 8 speed triple? Can't seem to find them for sale anywhere or else wont ship here.

I always found SJS cycles very good for any old or odd stuff. Downside is that they are in the UK so I haven't used them since Brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Macy0161

In my experience, Fastway is fine once it's with the driver. Before that, that is where I've had stuff delayed.
    Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I always found SJS cycles very good for any old or odd stuff. Downside is that they are in the UK so I haven't used them since Brexit.
    Me too, nearly pulled the trigger on some stuff via addresspal, and then factored in the vat and taxes (obviously as UK address, UK VAT still applied)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I don't order that much stuff online, and I think my orders might be less sports-related than average here, but I've had no problems with these two. I got deliveries from both since January:
    dutchbikebits.com
    hollandbikeshop.com

I'll probably be ordering from the German bike24 if I need something I can't get locally. I haven't ordered from them this year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I just remembered I ordered some clothing from victorychimp.cc, in NI. No problems with deliveries from them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

ordered stuff from bike discount and slane cycle on same day, bike discount stuff arrived yesterday still waiting on slane cycles stuff Only dispatched on 10/05 ordered 30/04

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Are bike-discount.de ok to order from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Never heard of them myself.

Website looks professional and good reviews on Trustpilot.

There's a thread about them on a forum here if you want to have a read.

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/bike-discountde-too-good-to-be-true/

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭cyfac

Ordered 2 casettes from them Monday and recieved a mail today to say there on the way along with tracking details etc. Ive used them before cant fault them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Use them regularly, always happy with the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Same again.. use them all the time. Gotta swallow the delivery charge but they have great range and their prices always competitive. Deliver with DPD so you get good reliable tracking the whole way. I am sat here expecting a delivery this morning from them. Be prepared for up to a week of door to door delivery.

Advertisement