Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should Dublin introduce "scum villages" like Amsterdam?

Options
  • 08-05-2021 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Very interesting idea:

"Those deemed guilty of causing "extreme havoc" will be evicted and placed in temporary homes of a "basic" nature, including converted shipping containers in industrial areas of the city. "We call it a living container," says Boer. Housing antisocial tenants in these units, which have showers and kitchens and have been used as student accommodation, will ensure that they are not "rewarded" by being relocated to better accommodation."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/shortcuts/2012/dec/04/liberal-amsterdam-plans-scum-villages

Back in 2017, the council purchased an apartment on my floor and moves in social tenants. They made my life, and everyone elses on the floor a living hell. The council basically told use after numerous complaints that they were moves around constantly and if they're moves again, it'll just be someone else complaining.

This culminated in a father beside them banging on the door at 3AM (his kid had school, and he and his wife had work in the morning). He was badly beaten up by the drugged up tenant, and Garda arrested the scrote who did it. The council moved them within a week. But in this situatiom, how is it fair that these scumbags are moved.again and again at the tax payers expense, to nice private complexes that they procees to destroy. It's not a particularly liberal idea, but scum villages are certainly worth debating.

Comments

Exceltrup wrote: »
    Very interesting idea:

"Those deemed guilty of causing "extreme havoc" will be evicted and placed in temporary homes of a "basic" nature, including converted shipping containers in industrial areas of the city. "We call it a living container," says Boer. Housing antisocial tenants in these units, which have showers and kitchens and have been used as student accommodation, will ensure that they are not "rewarded" by being relocated to better accommodation."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/shortcuts/2012/dec/04/liberal-amsterdam-plans-scum-villages

Back in 2017, the council purchased an apartment on my floor and moves in social tenants. They made my life, and everyone elses on the floor a living hell. The council basically told use after numerous complaints that they were moves around constantly and if they're moves again, it'll just be someone else complaining.

This culminated in a father beside them banging on the door at 3AM (his kid had school, and he and his wife had work in the morning). He was badly beaten up by the drugged up tenant, and Garda arrested the scrote who did it. The council moved them within a week. But in this situatiom, how is it fair that these scumbags are moved.again and again at the tax payers expense, to nice private complexes that they procees to destroy. It's not a particularly liberal idea, but scum villages are certainly worth debating.

I don't think you read the article in full.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

I thought Dublin already was a scum village :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,258 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Tried before a long time ago.

Didn't work so good then.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2017/1213/927108-dublin-housing-problems/

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Exceltrup

DubInMeath wrote: »
    I don't think you read the article in full.

Yes I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lmkrnr

They left will never let that happen with our tax money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Exceltrup

elperello wrote: »
    Tried before a long time ago.

Didn't work so good then.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2017/1213/927108-dublin-housing-problems/

So this is only for people who are completely incapable of living in a civilized way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭mojesius

I'd go a step further and create a 'scum island'. Ship offenders off to a purpose-built island ran by the army until they are deemed rehabilitated.

So this is only for people who are completely incapable of living in a civilized way.

A kind of punishment colony?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

mojesius wrote: »
    I'd go a step further and create a 'scum island'. Ship offenders off to a purpose-built island ran by the army until they are deemed rehabilitated.

We could call it....New South Wales

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

I think our system of giving them housing worth up to 500k in some cases is a better idea

• Advertisement

EddieN75 wrote: »
    I think our system of giving them housing worth up to 500k in some cases is a better idea

Probably not but somewhere between that and a shipping container there is a solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

elperello wrote: »
    Probably not but somewhere between that and a shipping container there is a solution.

A giant raft and push them out to sea is better again

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Ironman76

No need. That will be Dublin soon. Scum everywhere living it up in luxury homes whilst the rest of us relocate to the country for peace. So just make Dublin the scum capital. (Let’s face it, that wouldn’t be a stretch)
    Relocate the scrotes in Cork, Limerick etc to Dublin also. Too many scumbags in Dublin to relocate. At least there will be work from home options for some. The thriving new counties will create jobs for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Relocate all scummers to Dublin. Put up cameras everywhere and have them fight each other.

"May the odds be in your favour."

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

Ironman76 wrote: »
    No need. That will be Dublin soon. Scum everywhere living it up in luxury homes whilst the rest of us relocate to the country for peace. So just make Dublin the scum capital. (Let’s face it, that wouldn’t be a stretch)
    Relocate the scrotes in Cork, Limerick etc to Dublin also. Too many scumbags in Dublin to relocate. At least there will be work from home options for some. The thriving new counties will create jobs for others.

Funny thing is they wouldn't survive without the decent tax payer. Having zero repercussion for anti social behavior encourages it. Force them to work for a living and you will see a change in attitude. Cause hassle - lose job - can't pay rent-homeless. Giving them everything for free takes away any consequences for bad behavior not to mention the strain it puts on actual hard working individuals in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

People would pay €1500 a month for those units in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

That was 8 years ago that article came out -
    And it wasnt put people in there and throw away the key - far from it - I
    I think it was discontinued ,partly because it was so expensive to run - there were more police and social workers than residents ,
    But I agree that problem cases can't be just left to feic up their neighbours lives-
    But where would you put a sink estate - no one in their right mind wants one near their house - they're best "somewhere else "

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

mojesius wrote: »

That'd cost the tax payer an absolute fortune. 1970/1980 style council estates in remote areas are a better idea. The price of those houses would be a fraction of the houses they are getting now. Not a chance in hell of any of this happening though. Only a matter of time before people start getting freebie million euro homes in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

A shipping container is too good for them. Put them on the streets

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

A shipping container is too good for them. Put them on the streets
    Send them up North ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

There's a certain type of s**thouse who lives a life of chaos, in and out of the clink all the time, breeds incontinently, goes around the place inflicting chaos on and bullying others yet never ends up homeless or destitute, it's almost like they're being looked after by some squadron of scum angels, it's baffling.

And...and...they're always described as a 'Father of three' or whatever by the courts and the media, that fruitcake Lawlor who got his comeuppance in Belfast was one of these, how do they bankroll it all? The drugs and crime for all the money associated with it is an erratic and unstable form of 'employment'.

Advertisement