Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone getting an M1 Mac?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

eeloe wrote: »
    Glad you're enjoying it, which monitors are you using?

Not using any monitors currently. I’m just using sidecar with my iPad Pro for WFH. I’d love a couple of monitors or even one widescreen one. Not sure id have to use for them though when this is all over, I’d normally get all my work done in school and can’t see myself sitting at it for consuming media, news, etc.

Still probably get one soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Certain Dell monitors are not compatible with Apple laptops just in case anybody is thinking of buying one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

I’d say if you’re just doing document work then maybe but it’s basically a tablet operating system. Nicer on the eye than windows yes, but very limited when it comes to so much software. I couldn’t do 90% of my job if I had one.

That said, I’d absolutely love one door a personal machine.

i have yet to find software where theres not a mac/Darwin alternative plus theres tons of ported software

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭iniall

I’d say if you’re just doing document work then maybe but it’s basically a tablet operating system. Nicer on the eye than windows yes, but very limited when it comes to so much software. I couldn’t do 90% of my job if I had one.

That said, I’d absolutely love one door a personal machine.

That's just silly. It's a 20-year-old operating systemt that now happens to run on the same processors as Apple's tablets and phones, but MacOS is very different from iOS. "If you're just doing document work" is equally silly, while I'm at it. You obviously don't know the OS very well at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Was toying with the idea of getting the 14" when its out (maybe it is out?) What are the alternatives to look at? Main reason is to get a truely fanless laptop with long battery life that can be chucked about a bit.(it would sit in the backbox of my bike commuting)

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

Was toying with the idea of getting the 14" when its out (maybe it is out?) What are the alternatives to look at? Main reason is to get a truely fanless laptop with long battery life that can be chucked about a bit.(it would sit in the backbox of my bike commuting)

waiting for a 14" m1 myself , prob out around sept . New latpop redesign, more ports, mag safe adapter is back . great battery life . Mini Led (new tech, easier to view screen outdoors) . It'll have fans but they prob won't come on most of the time and if they do you'll hardly hear them. macbook air has no fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Then it is the MacBook Air you want: https://www.apple.com/ie/macbook-air/
    It is fanless, and a great battery life.

The 13inch with the M1 has a longer battery life but also has a fan: https://www.apple.com/ie/macbook-pro-13/ so most likely the 14 inch if there is one coming, will also have a fan.

https://medium.com/codex/my-macbook-air-m1-is-dead-a394e3581e95

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/m1-macbook-air-wont-power-on.2272304/

first generation problems ....

it'll be taken care of under warranty, at a small cost but out of warranty, apple care is looking like a prudent choice (note to self, don't skimp on this)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭sidekick

Good reminder. I picked up my MacBook Air M1 last week and was thinking of skipping the Apple Care option but I'm having second thoughts now. Friends also recommending it as a must have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

sidekick wrote: »
    Good reminder. I picked up my MacBook Air M1 last week and was thinking of skipping the Apple Care option but I'm having second thoughts now. Friends also recommending it as a must have.

Happy with it? Did you get the basic one or upgraded one?

I'd recommend backing your ssd every few days on the assumption that eventually the laptop will brick , for now at least until we know the reason and their failure rate of the m1 macbook airs

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭sidekick

Yes, very happy with it. It is my first Mac. I got a refurb unit with 8-core CPU, 8-core CPU, 8 GB memory, and 512GB storage.

Have my M1 now 6 months, amazing, still have not heard the fan!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Never heard the fan at all on my pro. Delighted with mine, will never go back to windows. Use windows in. Work and it’s rubbish in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

My M1 been going strong since Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Hi all, just looking for a bit of advice, I'm normally a windows guy and would build my own PC , my current rig is starting to show its age, I've looked into what it would cost to build and its still silly money at the minute with guys especially. I've been considering a mac mini (already have a BenQ monitor ) is it worth holding off for the rumoured newer mac mini with the newer m1 max/Pro processor?

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭iniall

It's how long is a piece of string, really. The rumours say there's a new Mac mini coming (as well as a new MacBook Air) but Apple have announced nothing. Apparently there's going to be an event in March or April, but if it happens, it might be an iPhone SE/iPad event rather than a Mac one, who knows? So, depending on how long you can wait, the mini should be refreshed sometime this year to remove the last Intel models, but whether that's sooner or later, only Tim(e) will tell...

(see what I did there?😉)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Yeah I can hold off another few months and see what happens.

• Advertisement
Advertisement