Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

BattleCorp wrote: »
    What's the point of having a house that isn't functional? :confused:

Because you can!

Seriously your ideas and my ideas will always differ. Obviously this person likes the look and it is their style. Something can just “be” for the aesthetic.

If you have space that may not be functional but be for a “style”, or a “look”. When you have enough space to do it, it works. It wouldn’t work in a three bedroom-semi..with a family of five. 😀

It might look OK in a back yard patio area with a bbq and seating but not in someone's front driveway area!

And surely the wood will warp and go to ruin. Unless... it's hardly that wood-effect lino..?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,277 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

And surely the wood will warp and go to ruin. Unless... it's hardly that wood-effect lino..?

they are paving slabs that look like wood. there was a link to them a few posts ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

It’s either tiles of paving slabs

• Registered Users Posts: 16,601 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I don't understand the obsession to remove every bit of greenery, it would take 5 minutes to cut the grass in a garden of that size. A few small shrubs and a small flower bed would also be easy to maintain.

Concrete, cobble lock, tarmac and that wood effect porcelain all look soulless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,077 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I don't understand the obsession to remove every bit of greenery, it would take 5 minutes to cut the grass in a garden of that size. A few small shrubs and a small flower bed would also be easy to maintain.

Concrete, cobble lock, tarmac and that wood effect porcelain all look soulless.

Paved bricks might look nice in that space, little neat ones but not lino looking tack.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 16,601 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Paved bricks might look nice in that space, little neat ones but not lino looking tack.

Paved for the path to the door, kerbing or flat bricks for the border and a bit of greenery. It's a nice looking house but the gack they put down ruins it. It looks like an April fools job that carried over into May.

The Ranelagh house is owned and I believe renovated by the designer John Rocha. Hence the sparseness I suppose. Parts of it look pretty comfortable. Used to be 11 bedsits.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/new-to-market/designer-john-rocha-s-light-filled-leeson-park-home-for-3-95m-1.4555115?mode=amp

Edit:

Watched the video. Looks nice. The room with the books in the centre is I suppose a gathering area for when guests arrive. I didn’t see a formal dining room though.

It screamed artist/designer.

I liked his AIB credit card design. I'm sure he'd be glad to hear that was his notable work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

146c2cde-3600-4d0a-a23b-8a540f2c0de6_x.jpg

What is the point of this room?

Looks to me like a reception area for gatherings/parties.

It has two Sean Scully paintings (and a third in the background) that are worth many thousands - I'm not necessarily a big fan of Scully's work (Rocha is), but if I could afford original artwork by by favourite artists, I'd dedicate a room to merely standing in front of them too. You can well imagine 15 or 20 people standing in there, drinks in hand, chatting. It might not resonate with everyone's lifestyle, but then we're not all John Rocha.

A room doesn't need a sofa and a TV to be functional or useful.

I knew when I saw the property mentioned in the Times that it would get a battering here, for being "soulless" or not having "character" (whatever those actually mean) but in all fairness it's impeccably designed, and you do have to take into account that it's clearly being staged for the shots and for selling, and not in it's regular "lived in" state.

• Advertisement

You can well imagine 15 or 20 people standing in there, drinks in hand, chatting. It might not resonate with everyone's lifestyle, but then we're not all John Rocha.

How the other half live, huh? I suppose the books are there for discussion as well. Makes sense. Also chairs could be added.

What didn't make sense to me is that there doesn't seem to be a dining room and that room seems to be a perfect place for it. Maybe he didn't do dinner parties, just drinks parties.

The house is well designed, if a bit austere for my liking, but I am not Rocha.

edit:

Maybe that room is the dining room. Chinese style. If you remove the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

fvp4 wrote: »
    Maybe that room is the dining room. Chinese style. If you remove the books.
    Are you thinking of Japan?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Ryath

That room is the other end of the sitting room. It's marked as a dinning room on plans. The void is the mezzanine area in front of it over the room marked as breakfast room. It should really be called the dining room.

6aeed818-ab55-4f0a-9b2b-55cd936c4749_x.jpg
    ae1bf213-c607-41a6-90f4-fbde1e862efc_x.jpg
    15117f75-6899-4b8c-99f1-d8489d3874f5_x.jpg

they are paving slabs that look like wood. there was a link to them a few posts ago.
    hurikane wrote: »
    It’s either tiles of paving slabs

Are you sure that's what it is?

I saw the post stating that this is available, but why, then, does it have that gold-coloured (aluminium?) trim at the edge (gate), as you would with wooden flooring?

Maybe that's a joke. In which case, fair play to them.

Are you sure that's what it is?

I saw the post stating that this is available, but why, then, does it have that gold-coloured (aluminium?) trim at the edge (gate), as you would with wooden flooring?

Maybe that's a joke. In which case, fair play to them.

it looks identical to the cedar oak paving slabs here https://royalestones.ie/categories/the-wood-effects.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

NSAman wrote: »
    It's not about functionality it is about aesthetic!

Not everyone wants the house functional and it to be family friendly.

While I dislike some of the house, I like the minimalism of it. No clutter!

Would I decorate differently? Of course! But that is the joy of design.... you make it your own.

Not sure about the no clutter. Yes a lot of rooms are nice and minimalist but there's also a lot of knick-knacks in other rooms, particularly the odd statues thing going on.
    Ryath wrote: »
    That room is the other end of the sitting room. It's marked as a dinning room on plans. The void is the mezzanine area in front of it over the room marked as breakfast room. It should really be called the dining room.

This makes sense.

Also the stone trough supposed to be a bath? Looks incredibly uncomfortable.

Also the green bowl. Why?

40466892-a272-4f5d-9a75-84335eb92a07_x.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Maybe to give it a splash of colour and carry the green from the outside to the inside to merge the theme together as one unified space esp when the doors are open

It's a stunning house that probably suits a fashion designer perfectly

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Looks like a Japanese Soaking Tub. You sit in it with the water up to your neck and soak your worries away. The bath is insulated to keep the water warm for much longer.

japanese-deep-soak-baths-2.webp

it looks identical to the cedar oak paving slabs here https://royalestones.ie/categories/the-wood-effects.html
    I have terrible eyesight and am not wearing any glasses, but these look completely different to the limited eyes I have (images attached). I'm also perplexed by the door-stop trim.

Either way, they're awful, but most likely a practical joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I have terrible eyesight and am not wearing any glasses, but these look completely different to the limited eyes I have (images attached). I'm also perplexed by the door-stop trim.

They look like real wood- you can see some warping at the joints

• Advertisement

the cedar oak not the oak wood effect

nebraska-oak-main-website665729107xl_851445252_m2.jpg

552546.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It's amazing how fast we moved on from a narrow "studio" to a house with a larger reception room then the whole apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Another island dreamer. 265k for a ruin on 1/5 acre.. 65k would be too much! I hope the fishbox comes with it after all the pics they took of it

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-long-island-schull-co-cork/3214839

timmyntc wrote: »
    They look like real wood- you can see some warping at the joints

And at the edge, near the gate, are some of the planks soaking up water and turning dark? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Another island dreamer. 265k for a ruin on 1/5 acre.. 65k would be too much! I hope the fishbox comes with it after all the pics they took of it

Somebody should tell the estate agent how to rotate photos to correct all those sloping horizons. That first photo is just ridiculous.

Your basically paying that for the site with an existing structure with likely ability to build bigger. The person buying that will likely build a million euro house on it.

So, some relation of a subsistence fisherman is going to make a lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Your basically paying that for the site with an existing structure with likely ability to build bigger. The person buying that will likely build a million euro house on it.

So, some relation of a subsistence fisherman is going to make a lot of money.

Thats what they're hoping but it probably won't happen. They're selling you the dream and the house you still have to build and pay for yourself.

They all think some rich bigshot is going to swoop in and build a mansion to spend a couple of weeks in August in it but in my experience these kind of places stay up for sale for years and eventually taken off the market

Thats what they're hoping but it probably won't happen. They're selling you the dream and the house you still have to build and pay for yourself.

They all think some rich bigshot is going to swoop in and build a mansion to spend a couple of weeks in August in it but in my experience these kind of places stay up for sale for years and eventually taken off the market

There are plenty of large houses in scenic areas. Not all of which will have been owned originally. Some people will have profited mightily from them.

Alun wrote: »
    Somebody should tell the estate agent how to rotate photos to correct all those sloping horizons. That first photo is just ridiculous.

Estate agent going out to site: "this place is a wreck but the landscape is beautiful, I should really impress on that"

*holds camera at random angle and clicks*

"That'll do"

Estate agents in this country are the laziest. Some unsuspecting seller is paying about €6k for his services (at that price) plus fees.
    I'm about to sell my house without an agent for this sorta reason. Every day I click on this thread ,I'm praying our pine kitchen and avocado bathroom will not end up within.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

When I was lookingaa few years ago, one particular agent had 3 photos of the property.all from the same angle and all containing the mirror of his jeep. Didn't even bother leaving his vehicle.

Advertisement