Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garmin 130 plus or 530

• 22-03-2021 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the choice. I have been using a 500 for years, but looking at upgrading.

Navigation wouldn't be a big issue for me, but just wondering if the data collection and display (particularly power) is sufficient on the 130 plus.

Whatever about data fields on the device itself, is after ride analysis pretty much similar (can I get TSS, IF etc).

I've read the reviews and I know they both are decent, but I suppose I am asking if it worth spending the extra cash on the 530?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭themighty

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the choice. I have been using a 500 for years, but looking at upgrading.

Navigation wouldn't be a big issue for me, but just wondering if the data collection and display (particularly power) is sufficient on the 130 plus.

Whatever about data fields on the device itself, is after ride analysis pretty much similar (can I get TSS, IF etc).

I've read the reviews and I know they both are decent, but I suppose I am asking if it worth spending the extra cash on the 530?

I've no input on either, as I haven't used them, but it might be worth checking out the 520plus. You can get it for cheaper than the 130 plus on Alltricks. I think that the navigation is a little slow but has the same screen size as the 530 and battery life seems a bit longer than the 130plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mamax

Get the 530.
    I can do 100km with phone doing livetrack, garmin varia rear light, power meter, speed sensor and hrm all connected and have 87% left on the battery, ride and coffee stop was 4 hours, the 530 has way more detailed info than the 520, you won't be dissapointed

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

What about the wahoo elemnt bolt.

I had edge 500 and changed to the bolt and find it very good. I got it with the hrm and seed and cadence sensor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Hi guys,

Based on a quick side by side look on the garmin.ie site, you are certainly getting a lot more with the 530 than the 130 plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Yeah, I think I'll give the 130 a pass. I see from some more searching that I can get a 520 plus for roughly the same price as the 130 plus so I might go with that instead.

I know of the slowness of the navigation, but I rarely really use that anyway, but I guess it is a nice to have.

Looking at some of the other upgrades from 520 to 530, they don't seem overly useful to me so this way I can save over €100 and still get all most of the data and maps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭delynet

The internals of the 520 plus struggle with the software features. Its like they were loosing ground to competitors with the 520 so they added a bunch of software features that the processor could not cope with, slow response. I think the 530 is a better option

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cblanc

The 530 is totally reliable

I just ordered the 520 plus. Its the same price as the 130 put has more to it. I don't use the navigation much, but its a nice to have I suppose.

Just couldn't see the value in spending the extra €100+ plus on the 530. (of course one could argue I don't need the spend the money on the any fancy computer!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I am a Garmin virgin but interested in getting one purely for navigation. A couple of long trips coming up (Waterford over 1.5 days, Fota island over 2.5 days, Galway over 2 days) . I have looked at suggested routes on this site which seems to bring you on quiet roads. But rather than try and use a phone or google maps, is it possible to download a route to the Garmin and follow it..

https://cycle.travel/map?from=Dublin&to=Nenagh&fromLL=53.3497645,-6.2602732&toLL=52.861944,-8.196667

so what Garmin would one recommend without breaking the bank..

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MangleBadger

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I am a Garmin virgin but interested in getting one purely for navigation. A couple of long trips coming up (Waterford over 1.5 days, Fota island over 2.5 days, Galway over 2 days) . I have looked at suggested routes on this site which seems to bring you on quiet roads. But rather than try and use a phone or google maps, is it possible to download a route to the Garmin and follow it..

https://cycle.travel/map?from=Dublin&to=Nenagh&fromLL=53.3497645,-6.2602732&toLL=52.861944,-8.196667

so what Garmin would one recommend without breaking the bank..

I have the 130 plus. And it’s a great little computer. But I was still using my phone on a quadlock as I like to have a map display. Wife just got me a present of a Karoo 2.
    The 130+ will only give you an arrow notification of turns. So I wouldn’t go that low if you want it for navigation mostly. But any garmin you can download routes from strava or wherever and send them to the device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

You can get a navigation app for your phone to which you can upload routes to give you turn by turn instructions much like GPS

Komoot is one such

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I just ordered the 520 plus. Its the same price as the 130 put has more to it. I don't use the navigation much, but its a nice to have I suppose.

Just couldn't see the value in spending the extra €100+ plus on the 530. (of course one could argue I don't need the spend the money on the any fancy computer!)

Where did you order from?
    I cant find stock anywhere.
    Im torn between it and the wahoo elemnt bolt.

Dcully wrote: »
    Where did you order from?
    I cant find stock anywhere.
    Im torn between it and the wahoo elemnt bolt.

Halfords.

I went with the garmin as I already have the mounts. Not a deal breaker but just couldn't be bothered with the hassle for my other bike

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I went through a range of GPS, of course started out with the Edge 500, then upgraded to a 520. I jumped ship then to a Wahoo. Although the map features sound great on current models I don't think they didn't really add any new dimension that the old edge 500 would have provided. I am not going that far away that I need turn by turn maps. A breadcrumb trail more than suffices for me if I happen to get lost. I rarely use the map functions now. The current Wahoo is way behind the current feature set but it does the trick for me. I moved from Garmin as I found the visibility and battery life not very good, the Wahoo has been a solid as a rock. Fit and forget. The new Wahoo roam seems to built on adding map features but I haven't researched it much.

Advertisement